CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+3
JM130ELM
Forgiveness Man
Verve
7 posters

School bullying @ public vs private school

Verve
    Verve
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male
    Rep : 4

School bullying @ public vs private school Empty School bullying @ public vs private school

Post by Verve Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:03 pm

Is bullying a bigger problem at public or private schools? When I was coming up, the perception was that private schools were safer and that public schools were were kids carried knifes, guns or fought with brass knuckles. If I had to guess, I'd say that kids intent to bully or the bully "mentality" was about the same, but I think the discrepancy more comes with how public vs private administration handles it. When you have kids there because of the tuition of their parents, that has to factor into how students are disciplined.

Thoughts?
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

School bullying @ public vs private school Empty Re: School bullying @ public vs private school

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:15 pm

Eh, I think private schools have more likelihood of squashing bullying incidents. But ultimately, I think both ultimately fail to stop bullying.
    JM130ELM
    JM130ELM
    …is Necessary.
    …is Necessary.

Male
    Rep : 32

School bullying @ public vs private school Empty Re: School bullying @ public vs private school

Post by JM130ELM Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:26 pm

Sending your kids to private school to avert bullies is what ignorant parents do. I would rather be an outcast at public school than private school, to be quite honest.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:03 am

That depends. Which type of school is more likely to have a teacher who responds...."I don't care who started it"?
    jennab85
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female
    Rep : 2

Post by jennab85 Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:00 pm

A few years back I worked with a guy who attended a Catholic school during his junior high and high school years and he said bullying went on. This guy was short and he said he got bullied for his height quite a bite during junior high. He started playing baseball during in high school and he was good at it and the bullying stopped for him. But he observed bullying happening for different reasons. Kids that were on scholarship at the school got bullied for not being as wealthy as some of the other students.

Some private schools have zero tolerance for bullying and if students bully they won't be asked back for the next year.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:16 pm

Bullying is bullying. I don't think it's less of a problem wherever you attend. End result is the same.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Wed Mar 30, 2011 2:59 am

It depends on the schools. Private schools have the advantage of being able to turn away students but with public schools, it's a lot harder to kick a kid out. It totally depends on what the policies are and how things are handled. rather than being private or public, at least where I am. The school I'd choose to send my kids to if I could afford it is a private school that focuses on creating global awareness and really instilling in kids a sense of community and comradeship more than any other school I've seen.

There are pros and cons to both private and public. My godson faced a lot of racism and bullying at one school and it was tolerated because the principal didn't want to rock the boat with the band office. She allowed him to be bullied because the native bands (there were two) would make a huge stink if someone dared to discipline their kids for being racists. Problem was, her son had just been adopted from another country and was learning English and because of his previous experiences, didn't realize that bullying wasn't okay. She changed schools for his grade 5 year and he did well and he's thriving in grade 6 now.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:14 am