CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+6
Nystyle709
Princess
Supernova
Shale
RedBedroom
Chris
10 posters

'There is no such thing as a Christian child: only a child of Christian parents.'

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

'There is no such thing as a Christian child: only a child of Christian parents.' Empty 'There is no such thing as a Christian child: only a child of Christian parents.'

Post by Chris Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:03 am

“There is no such thing as a Christian child: only a child of Christian parents.”
    ― Richard Dawkins, The God Delusion

Do you agree with this quote?
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

'There is no such thing as a Christian child: only a child of Christian parents.' Empty Re: 'There is no such thing as a Christian child: only a child of Christian parents.'

Post by RedBedroom Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:35 am

No way. That may be true in many families but not in all. Growing up, I went to church for all the youth group stuff and wished so much my parents would take me Sunday.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

'There is no such thing as a Christian child: only a child of Christian parents.' Empty Re: 'There is no such thing as a Christian child: only a child of Christian parents.'

Post by Shale Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:01 am

I was raised as a Christian but as soon as I got old enuf to question, in my early teens, I became an Atheist/Agnostic.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:38 am

*Buzzer* Wrong!
    Princess
    Princess
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Female
    Rep : 0

Post by Princess Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:03 pm

I completely agree...no one is born a Christian or any other religion.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:48 pm

In a way.....yeah. You're not born as a religion.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:01 pm

Nystyle709 wrote:In a way.....yeah. You're not born as a religion.

No but being a child expands far past just being born.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:05 pm

Princess wrote:I completely agree...no one is born a Christian or any other religion.
    co-signs
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:26 pm

The quote does not specifically state right at birth. I think it is more to mean as they are older, they are not truly able to be Christians until adulthood because they don't fully understand what it means to be a Christian.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:35 pm

Hyacinth Girl
    Hyacinth Girl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 70

Post by Hyacinth Girl Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:35 pm

All religious beliefs no matter what faith, denomination, etc. are an individual choice as to what one wants to believe. To say that there is no such thing as a Christian child is a fallacy--a child can choose to believe as a Christian, or anything else that's out there. I'm sure it will morph and change over time as the child grows and learns new things, and the child may even discard original beliefs in exchange for another/others they find more fitting for whatever point in life they are at, but that's part of life and belief for any of us.

That would be the same as saying there are no Hindu children, only children of Hindu parents, no Jewish children, no Muslim children, etc. Kids are smarter than you think, and they can certainly believe just as adults do, but with that "childlike faith."
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:44 pm

Thanks for posting the video, Alan.

That guy is an idiot. It wouldn't be so bad if he wasn't so adament about it being true for every child.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Thu Oct 27, 2011 1:45 pm

Hyacinth Girl wrote:All religious beliefs no matter what faith, denomination, etc. are an individual choice as to what one wants to believe. To say that there is no such thing as a Christian child is a fallacy--a child can choose to believe as a Christian, or anything else that's out there. I'm sure it will morph and change over time as the child grows and learns new things, and the child may even discard original beliefs in exchange for another/others they find more fitting for whatever point in life they are at, but that's part of life and belief for any of us.

That would be the same as saying there are no Hindu children, only children of Hindu parents, no Jewish children, no Muslim children, etc. Kids are smarter than you think, and they can certainly believe just as adults do, but with that "childlike faith."

Pretty much what Dawkins said.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:37 pm

Supernova wrote:

No but being a child expands far past just being born.

Being a child is nothing more than being in your environment. Said child can grow up denouncing their religion.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Thu Oct 27, 2011 2:44 pm

RedBedroom wrote:Thanks for posting the video, Alan.

That guy is an idiot. It wouldn't be so bad if he wasn't so adament about it being true for every child.

LOL. Well Red, I have enjoyed a couple of his books Shrugs (Oh well…)
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:13 pm

Nystyle709 wrote:

Being a child is nothing more than being in your environment. Said child can grow up denouncing their religion.

It is true that a child can grow up to denounce his religion. But this guy is saying that it is the case with ALL kids that they are not Christians (Or Muslim or Catholic or whatever). I don't know how anyone can say that children can't have a true life-long connection to their religion from a young age.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:16 pm

RedBedroom wrote:It is true that a child can grow up to denounce his religion. But this guy is saying that it is the case with ALL kids that they are not Christians (Or Muslim or Catholic or whatever). I don't know how anyone can say that children can't have a true life-long connection to their religion from a young age.

What he seemed to be saying is that children, when they get independent thot may pick up for a lifetime their parents' religion, but at 4-years of age (still believing in Santa Claus, Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny, and Fairy Godmothers) they do not have any religious philosophy other than parroting their parents.

I wouldn't call him an idiot.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:27 pm

Opa Shale wrote:

What he seemed to be saying is that children, when they get independent thot may pick up for a lifetime their parents' religion, but at 4-years of age (still believing in Santa Claus, Tooth Fairy, Easter Bunny, and Fairy Godmothers) they do not have any religious philosophy other than parroting their parents.

I wouldn't call him an idiot.

I didn't catch the part where he mentioned age. Yes, a four year old Christian child is projecting what he has been taught. But often it parlays into something authentic and a kid doesn't have to wait until adulthood for that.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:13 pm

Dawkins IS an idiot. lol Frankly, there's no point to the guy's rant. Well, since there are no atheist children, no agnostic children, no children of any religious belief whatsoever, according to him, then there's really every reason to just ignore this guy and everything he says. There's no Christian children... so? And? What's his point? Who the hell cares? lol The guy's logic is totally absurd, but let's say I did agree with it, then what? Nothing. lol There's no point to his entire argument.
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 127

Post by captainbryce Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:21 pm

Chris wrote:

Do you agree with this quote?
    Yes and No. This is too much of a blanket statement for me to just agree with it outright. I understand (in principle) what Dawkins is trying to say, but he's also making a generalization about children. He hasn't defined a specific age range and I certainly do think there are people under the age of 18 who are "Christian" or any other religion by choice. The age of reason differs from person to person as does the level of education and maturity level. Some kid are very advanced and make a conscious decision to either accept or reject certain religious beliefs "as a child". I would say that there is no such thing as a YOUNG Christian child (under the age of 10) because most kids of that age haven't yet reached the ability to reason yet. They are simply following what they are told to do. But if a 15 year old can decide based on his own experiences that religion is bullshit, then that same 15 year old can decide to become a Christian on his own accord.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 8:36 pm