CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+6
wants2laugh
CeCe
Supernova
Nystyle709
Shale
RedBedroom
10 posters

Do parents have the right to pick a child's college if parents are paying 100 percent?

RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Do parents have the right to pick a child's college if parents are paying 100 percent? Empty Do parents have the right to pick a child's college if parents are paying 100 percent?

Post by RedBedroom Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:19 pm

Do parents get the right to select the college if they are footing the entire bill?

I think that should equate to parents having some say in the matter. The ideal situation would be the parent and child having an open discussion with an agreed upon college.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Do parents have the right to pick a child's college if parents are paying 100 percent? Empty Re: Do parents have the right to pick a child's college if parents are paying 100 percent?

Post by Shale Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:38 pm

Well, discussion of the kid's wishes is good and if the parent could agree to it fine, but bottom line, the one who pays for something has the final word on what he is paying for.

Kid don't like it, pay your own way.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Do parents have the right to pick a child's college if parents are paying 100 percent? Empty Re: Do parents have the right to pick a child's college if parents are paying 100 percent?

Post by Nystyle709 Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:31 pm

That would be way too totalitarian for a parent to go that route. It should be talked about, but I think the only thing a parent should have a say in if they're paying is how much the tuition cost. Then it's up to the kid to pick somewhere they can afford. A college education is a college education. Doesn't really matter much where you go.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:56 pm

Nystyle709 wrote:That would be way too totalitarian for a parent to go that route. It should be talked about, but I think the only thing a parent should have a say in if they're paying is how much the tuition cost. Then it's up to the kid to pick somewhere they can afford. A college education is a college education. Doesn't really matter much where you go.

If the parents are so dead set on a certain place, then THEY can go there and see how much they like it.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:36 pm

I think there should be a discussion & some kind of compromise made if they disagree. The kid doesn't have to attend the college of their parents choice but the parents are actually under no obligation to fund ANY of it.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:58 pm

Well I can understand that parents wouldnt want to pay $40k a year for a party school, with that sort of reputation--- would want my kid getting the most out of it.. to not only learn... but then not be laughed at by future employers-- "Oh you went to Puke'em university? YEAH RIGHT -- sure i'll hire you... NOT" But I would understand that kids want to have fun too... so i would try to select a few i really like, then have the kid pick from those after we visited the campuses together
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:05 am

If they are paying the full bill, then naturally they do have some significant say, but ultimately it would/should be the kids decision where they continue their formal education.
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 43

Post by Bluesmama Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:29 am

I think the parents would be better off with a group of preferred colleges and let the kid choose.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:41 am

I guess they should have some say in the matter but ultimately the kid should be happy where he is going to attend college.
    Suzi
    Suzi
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 85

Post by Suzi Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:02 pm

Shale wrote:Well, discussion of the kid's wishes is good and if the parent could agree to it fine, but bottom line, the one who pays for something has the final word on what he is paying for.

Kid don't like it, pay your own way.
    co-signs

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:37 am