CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+3
Nystyle709
Shale
Chris
7 posters

'75 years in prison for videotaping police'

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

'75 years in prison for videotaping police' Empty '75 years in prison for videotaping police'

Post by Chris Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:31 am

Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

'75 years in prison for videotaping police' Empty Re: '75 years in prison for videotaping police'

Post by Shale Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:37 am

Let's see, we were all ragging on those backward, fucked up moslem countries whose surreal laws put rape victims in jail for having sex out of wedlock.

Well, they are still fucked up but Illnoise is running a close second. What happened to "freedom of the press." How does that dreadful show 'cops' even exist, filming suspects before they are adjudicated guilty of anything. How come paparazzi are legal, yet police get special privilege to violate the citizens and can't be fotografed.

I shouldn't have watched this so close to bedtime. Now I won't be able to get to sleep.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

'75 years in prison for videotaping police' Empty Re: '75 years in prison for videotaping police'

Post by Nystyle709 Mon Dec 05, 2011 3:06 am

Well damn. I'm surprised he didn't get 300 years. In any case, he's not going to serve that.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:02 pm

The law doesn't want its dirty cops exposed is all.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:15 pm

Cases like this need to make it to the Supreme Court ASAP where they will hopefully do the correct thing and overturn all these bullshit laws.

On Jan. 13, 2009, Michael Allison brought a digital recorder to the Crawford County Courthouse in Downstate Robinson, where he was contesting a citation, because he had been told there would be no official transcript of the proceedings. He was immediately confronted by Circuit Judge Kimbara Harrell, who accused him of violating her privacy and charged him with eavesdropping, a felony punishable by up to 15 years in prison.

Because Allison had recorded conversations about his legal situation with police and other local officials, he soon faced four more eavesdropping charges, raising his possible sentence to 75 years. The case against Allison vividly shows how the Illinois Eavesdropping Act, the target of a constitutional challenge that was recently heard by a federal appeals court, undermines transparency, civil liberties and legal equality.

The law’s double standard is clear. It allows police officers to make audio recordings of their encounters with citizens but forbids citizens to do the same without permission. Recording police, prosecutors or judges is a Class 1 felony with a maximum sentence of 15 years, while recording anyone else is a Class 4 felony with a maximum sentence of three years.

The law seems deliberately designed to shield police from public scrutiny.

In a 1986 case involving a motorist who recorded the conversation between two officers while he was being detained in their patrol car, the Illinois Supreme Court ruled that eavesdropping occurs only in “circumstances which entitle [the parties] to believe that the conversation is private and cannot be heard by others.”

The Illinois Legislature responded by amending the eavesdropping statute to eliminate that requirement.

Under current law, anyone in Illinois who records cops — even in public, even while they are performing their official duties — can be charged with a felony.

Whether charges are brought may depend on how embarrassing the recording is.

In August, for instance, a former stripper named Tiawanda Moore was tried for eavesdropping after she used her BlackBerry to record a conversation in which she said two internal affairs investigators encouraged her to drop a sexual harassment complaint against a Chicago Police officer.

“I think it’s something we can handle without having to go through this process,” one investigator says in the recording. The jury acquitted Moore.

Moore’s prosecution is one of the cases that the American Civil Liberties Union of Illinois cites in its challenge to the eavesdropping law. It is asking the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 7th Circuit to rule that “the First Amendment protects people from criminal penalty for openly audio recording the conversations of police officers in the performance of their official duties in public places and forums, while speaking at an ordinary volume — that is, conversations where there is no reasonable expectation of privacy.”

The ACLU says this standard, which the vast majority of states have adopted, is required by the First Amendment.

Last month, in an eavesdropping case involving a man who recorded an arrest on the Boston Common because he believed the police were using excessive force, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 1st Circuit agreed that “a citizen’s right to film government officials, including law enforcement officers, in the discharge of their duties in a public space is a basic, vital, and well-established liberty safeguarded by the First Amendment.”

Fortunately for Michael Allison, a Crawford County judge found that argument persuasive.

“A statute intended to prevent unwarranted intrusions into a citizen’s privacy cannot be used as a shield for public officials who cannot assert a comparable right of privacy in their public duties,” Circuit Judge David Frankland wrote two days after the 7th Circuit heard the ACLU’s arguments against the eavesdropping law. “Such action impedes the free flow of information concerning public officials and violates the First Amendment right to gather such information.”

Although Frankland dismissed the charges against Allison, prosecutors are expected to appeal, lest uppity citizens get the idea that it’s OK to document the public performance of public officials.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:20 pm

Marc™ wrote:The law doesn't want its dirty cops exposed is all.

Agreed, 10 years ago in July, the day my step-grandfather died, we had just gotten that news around the same time a story broke about police videotaped beating a man, but did anything happen to the police? Oh hell no but you better believe they locked up the guy who caught them on tape.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:33 pm

In NJ you are not permitted to take any recording devices or even cell phones into the courthouse--- even if you have evidence on them that you want the judge to hear. I had to log my phone/recorder in with the police at the front door, go thru a metal detector, and still have a pat down. Then when the case came up, the judge had to order the police to bring up my recorder from 3 flights down which only delayed the proceeding. I was told that someone recorded what a judge said and sent it to the local media.. i did not understand the big deal because transcripts are public record--I had to pay $150 for one, but I got it. Then I realized that there is no affect in writing... therefore the sarcasm doesnt come across well.

What makes me laugh about this story is: eavesdropping gets you 75 years, but manslaughter gets you 7 to 15, out in 4 for good behavior!!! WTF??
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:47 pm

wants2laugh wrote:In NJ you are not permitted to take any recording devices or even cell phones into the courthouse--- even if you have evidence on them that you want the judge to hear. I had to log my phone/recorder in with the police at the front door, go thru a metal detector, and still have a pat down. Then when the case came up, the judge had to order the police to bring up my recorder from 3 flights down which only delayed the proceeding. I was told that someone recorded what a judge said and sent it to the local media.. i did not understand the big deal because transcripts are public record--I had to pay $150 for one, but I got it. Then I realized that there is no affect in writing... therefore the sarcasm doesnt come across well.

What makes me laugh about this story is: eavesdropping gets you 75 years, but manslaughter gets you 7 to 15, out in 4 for good behavior!!! WTF??

And murder can get you maybe 2 years, or probation. WTF indeed!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 8:30 pm