CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+9
Marc™
wants2laugh
Shale
Nhaiyel
Bluesmama
Hyacinth Girl
Cheaps
Supernova
Chris
13 posters

Did you grow up without the Internet?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Did you grow up without the Internet? Empty Did you grow up without the Internet?

Post by Chris Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:44 pm

If you grew up without the Internet, do you think that your childhood was any better or worse because of it?
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Did you grow up without the Internet? Empty Re: Did you grow up without the Internet?

Post by Supernova Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:34 pm

I was 9 going on 10 the first time I used it and at that age, it was just for games, I didn't get an email account until I was 13. Better or worse, I couldn't say because originally we had the dial up that you'd get kicked off after 10 minutes and lose what you were doing, so we never had too much time to get into trouble on it.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 252

Did you grow up without the Internet? Empty Re: Did you grow up without the Internet?

Post by Cheaps Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:48 pm

I grew up without it. I can't say whether it was better or worse, since I only know from not having it.
    Hyacinth Girl
    Hyacinth Girl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 70

Post by Hyacinth Girl Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:00 pm

I grew up without even a computer, since home computers were unheard of back in the 1970's. The only technology I had was an Atari game system that plugged into the TV (of which there was no remote, so you had to get up off your ass to change the channel! ) big grin

I think I'm no worse off for not having internet/computers as a child, but I do like the convenience factor they provide for school projects--you don't have to arrange your schedule around when the library is open so you can go thumb through the encyclopedias and old newspapers, to do your research for a paper you have to write for school.
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 43

Post by Bluesmama Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:06 pm

Without. Did just fine without it. Honestly, I don't think the internet is such a good thing. It has its value but I don't think it outweighs the bad.
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:09 pm

I was in my middle teens when I first got online, so yes and no. Honestly, though, I don't think the Internet is at all essential for kids to have access to and probably causes more trouble than good.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:09 pm

Well, YEAH! I grew up without the Internet. I'm the first gen to even have TV, and that was just 4 channels.

I did OK without it. I was writing for publications on a manual typewriter and in 1995 at the age of 50 got my first computer, an e-mail account at Usenet or the county and started e-mailing my articles to publishers. Made it easier than double spacing for editing and we could communicate immediately for any changes.

Later, when I got more than 4 MB of RAM, I got into the graphic side of the Internet, eventually graduating from dialup to DSL, where I am today. Wasting my time when I could be doing something more productive.
    blank stare @ you
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:29 pm

In 1983 my genius bro had us online... i was 8yrs old. online with a commodore 64. We did play games, but also had chat lines... and the now non-existent personal BBS where you would dial into someone's personal computer for message boards and chat.

I think my school years were easier, because i would download from the encyclopedias online, then word process things to do reports. The teachers did not know what hit them because they never heard of such things back then. I always got A's.

however, my mom was paying a fortune! It was 10 cents per minute to be online, a monthly $30 service fee, AND you had to pay a toll call to dial in... so in all, my mom was paying $500 a month just for us to be online and chat with people! :O What i could have done with that money! lol
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Fri Dec 16, 2011 12:30 am

For the most part, but now I've been online for almost 1/2 my life.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:38 am

I didn't get it until I was 14....and then I didn't start really going online until I was like 15/16. My childhood was fine without it.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:20 am

Hyacinth Girl wrote:I grew up without even a computer, since home computers were unheard of back in the 1970's. The only technology I had was an Atari game system that plugged into the TV (of which there was no remote, so you had to get up off your ass to change the channel! ) big grin

PONG!!!
    Suzi
    Suzi
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 85

Post by Suzi Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:48 pm

I was 10 when my father bought the first TV in the extended family in 1949. Home computers were totally unheard of and actually un-thought of as well. I was about 60 when we got our first home computer. I remember reading once about a computer someone was using it took a whole room to house it.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:43 pm

Suzi wrote:I was 10 when my father bought the first TV in the extended family in 1949. Home computers were totally unheard of and actually un-thought of as well. I was about 60 when we got our first home computer. I remember reading once about a computer someone was using it took a whole room to house it.
    In 1970 I went to a tech school to become a "Computer Operator." Computers were in the very cool, smoke-free "Computer Room." I worked for a while at a bank and the computers were mainly just bigger tabulators, card sorters and printers for checks and data sheets.
    Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Post by Jason B. Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:00 am

Yeah I didn't get the Internet until I was in college.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Sat Dec 17, 2011 1:25 pm

Myself, I had a computer since I was about twelve years old; but didn't have access to the Internet until around age sixteen.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 5:13 am