CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+5
Supernova
Nystyle709
CeCe
Cheaps
Jason B.
9 posters

Would the the world better off without alcohol?

Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Would the the world better off without alcohol? Empty Would the the world better off without alcohol?

Post by Jason B. Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:50 am

Imagine a world without the presence of alcohol. Do you think society would be better or worse?
    Cheaps
    Cheaps
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 252

Would the the world better off without alcohol? Empty Re: Would the the world better off without alcohol?

Post by Cheaps Wed Dec 28, 2011 5:53 am

I'm a drinker and I wouldn't like it.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Would the the world better off without alcohol? Empty Re: Would the the world better off without alcohol?

Post by CeCe Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:43 am

Alcohol by itself isn't a bad thing. It's just the misuse of it.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:18 am

CeCe wrote:Alcohol by itself isn't a bad thing. It's just the misuse of it.

co-signs
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:50 am

CeCe wrote:Alcohol by itself isn't a bad thing. It's just the misuse of it.

This, and in moderation it can be beneficial towards people's health. And, there was a story several years back, I can't recall the exact details but it was something about a makeshift hospital in a place like South America or something, I don't remember WHAT the guy had but he was kept alive because for 3 days they ran vodka through an IV into him. That was what first made me reconsider alcohol because prior to that, NOBODY in this immediate family drinks and I grew up totally against the idea of drinking, and that was when I started to give it a second thought that if it can save a person's life, then it can't be all bad.
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 43

Post by Bluesmama Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:25 pm

The only area where I could see a big difference is in the harm done to others by alcohol (drunk driving, abuse). But many of the world's biggest problems are not caued by alcohol.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Wed Dec 28, 2011 1:57 pm

Seeing as how alcohol is just one natural drug (yeah, it was discovered by us and other animals when overripe grapes fermented in a pile) I don't think the world would be better off without it. There are enuf other problems outside the influence of alcohol, that the world wouldn't improve any.

Also, as pointed out there are many benefits to alcohol, from drinking it in moderation to using the non-drinkable stuff for antiseptic or fuel.

Without my couple glasses of red wine in the evening, my world would be a worse place.
    Blue Cool
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:06 pm

Shale wrote:Seeing as how alcohol is just one natural drug (yeah, it was discovered by us and other animals when overripe grapes fermented in a pile) I don't think the world would be better off without it. There are enuf other problems outside the influence of alcohol, that the world wouldn't improve any.

Also, as pointed out there are many benefits to alcohol, from drinking it in moderation to using the non-drinkable stuff for antiseptic or fuel.

Without my couple glasses of red wine in the evening, my world would be a worse place.
    Blue Cool

What kind do you drink, Shale?

Though funny you bring that up because I remembered something else I read in regards to alcohol's connection to health. A new report said people who drink 3 glasses of wine a week following a heart attack are twice as likely to survive and recover than people who don't drink. Go figure.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:10 pm

alcoholic have destroyed many relationships, and have traumatized many children, and killed people due to reckless disregard. IMO, the world would be a better place
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:41 pm

wants2laugh wrote:alcoholic have destroyed many relationships, and have traumatized many children, and killed people due to reckless disregard. IMO, the world would be a better place
    Obviously it would be a better place without alcoholics and drunks.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Wed Dec 28, 2011 3:46 pm

Supernova wrote:What kind do you drink, Shale? ...

I drink Carlo Rossi Paisano. Not too sweet nor too dry. And while regular non-fortified wines are about 12% - 13% alcohol, this is only 11%. Which means I can drink more without getting a buzz. 1% doesn't seem like much but when I couldn't get the Paisano and got the same brand of Burgundy at 12% I could feel the difference drinking the same quantity.

I like wine but I don't like getting drunk. (Not that I didn't get pass out drunk when I was younger)
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 43

Post by Bluesmama Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:10 am

Shale wrote:

I drink Carlo Rossi Paisano. Not too sweet nor too dry. And while regular non-fortified wines are about 12% - 13% alcohol, this is only 11%. Which means I can drink more without getting a buzz. 1% doesn't seem like much but when I couldn't get the Paisano and got the same brand of Burgundy at 12% I could feel the difference drinking the same quantity.

I like wine but I don't like getting drunk. (Not that I didn't get pass out drunk when I was younger)

That's what my brother drinks!

And he's always been the healthy one in the family. He drinks a glass of wine with every meal (well, except with his morning oatmeal) and he swears by it.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:16 am

Bluesmama wrote:

That's what my brother drinks!

And he's always been the healthy one in the family. He drinks a glass of wine with every meal (well, except with his morning oatmeal) and he swears by it.

In all the local folktale books they all say that when you're sick with a cold or the flu you should drink whiskey and my mother said the farmers all did this and yes they made fast recoveries, so I'm thinking of getting a little bottle to keep on hand, sabes que for 'medicinal reasons', laughing
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:03 am

I feel as though those I know who abuse alcohol would not resort to other drugs so it would be a safer place without alcohol, in my opinion.

To think about no alcohol around other than bootleg stuff is interesting. Many businesses make the largest profit margin from alcohol sales.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 12:01 am