CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+5
Chris
Suzi
Forgiveness Man
Bluesmama
wants2laugh
9 posters

Parental religious beliefs vs getting treatment for child

wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Parental religious beliefs vs getting treatment for child Empty Parental religious beliefs vs getting treatment for child

Post by wants2laugh Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:52 am

Law & Order just had an episode of a child who died because her parents refused medical treatment due to religious reasons. The child could have lived had it reached the hospital in time. The child asked for a doctor.

Do you think the govt has the right to enforce medical treatment on children in life threatening situations? If the child asks for a doctor, should that supercede the wishes of the parents? If you think the parents should be found negligent, how long should the sentence be if the child dies?
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 43

Parental religious beliefs vs getting treatment for child Empty Re: Parental religious beliefs vs getting treatment for child

Post by Bluesmama Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:05 am

This is THE most difficult topic I wrestle with because I see and agree with both sides. It is interference of one's religious rights, and if the child is comfortable with that then leave it be. But if the child wants to try and live then I think maybe that child should be given the chance.

Chances are that the families in such religions don't have medical insurance, anyway, so they're not likely to get cadillac care.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Parental religious beliefs vs getting treatment for child Empty Re: Parental religious beliefs vs getting treatment for child

Post by wants2laugh Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:46 am

but since a child in a divorce case can decide which parent to live with at certain ages, should the law enforce medical treatment until that age of consent?

Most children are endoctrinated into the church of the parents. Therefore, their parents are forcing their beliefs on the child. Should the law consider the child "free of religion" until he is of age to make educated decisions?
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 43

Post by Bluesmama Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:56 am

wants2laugh wrote:but since a child in a divorce case can decide which parent to live with at certain ages, should the law enforce medical treatment until that age of consent?

Most children are endoctrinated into the church of the parents. Therefore, their parents are forcing their beliefs on the child. Should the law consider the child "free of religion" until he is of age to make educated decisions?

I just don't know about the first question, I really don't. But as for the second question, absolutely not. Parents are within their rights to do what they feel is their obligation as parents, and religion is one of them. Although I work for the government, I cringe at increasing control from it.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:01 am

It's a difficult line. On one hand, children deserve care and shouldn't be denied simple, life-saving treatment cause their parents have religious objections. On the other hand, government has a history of abusing it's power and control (and anti-religious loonies are all too happy to support abuses in this area) and would likely try to override parental religious beliefs when it comes to their child even when it doesn't come to lifesaving procedures. The last thing we need is an inefficient government micromanaging our kids and taking away parental rights. So it is indeed a blurry line. I'm of the case by case basis mindset, with a heavy lean towards only doing this if absolutely necessary.
    Suzi
    Suzi
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 85

Post by Suzi Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:45 pm

The government steps in when parents neglect or abuse their children. Refusing medical help for a child falls into both categories. If a child dies because of neglect or abuse the parent or parents should be tried for at least manslaughter.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:52 pm

All children deserve the best treatment possible. Ideology should never veto kids and medicine. When they're eighteen, they can decide whether or not they wish to refuse medical treatment, but until then their parents religious views should be secondary in this scenario.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:16 pm

Chris wrote:All children deserve the best treatment possible. Ideology should never veto kids and medicine. When they're eighteen, they can decide whether or not they wish to refuse medical treatment, but until then their parents religious views should be secondary in this scenario.

Parental religious beliefs vs getting treatment for child 35166
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:15 pm

Chris wrote:All children deserve the best treatment possible. Ideology should never veto kids and medicine. When they're eighteen, they can decide whether or not they wish to refuse medical treatment, but until then their parents religious views should be secondary in this scenario.

Nystyle709 wrote:Parental religious beliefs vs getting treatment for child 35166
    co-signs
    zthatzmanz28
    zthatzmanz28
    …is Significant.
    …is Significant.

Male
    Rep : 13

Post by zthatzmanz28 Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:19 pm

Religious freedom should trump any laws. So long as the parents are not inflicting physical pain or torture, they should be allowed to make what ever choices they see fit for their children. I personally hate taking 90% of the meds avaiable--eitehr OTC or scripts. I would not want someone telling me I have to take any meds because they are good for me?

For a nation that claims to believe in god (92%), so many are so quick to impose secular solutions to problems.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:46 pm

co-signs

People shouldn't get away with denying their kids medical treatment because of their religious stance.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by wants2laugh Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:52 pm

zthatzmanz28 wrote:Religious freedom should trump any laws. So long as the parents are not inflicting physical pain or torture, they should be allowed to make what ever choices they see fit for their children. I personally hate taking 90% of the meds avaiable--eitehr OTC or scripts. I would not want someone telling me I have to take any meds because they are good for me?

For a nation that claims to believe in god (92%), so many are so quick to impose secular solutions to problems.

there is a religious group that uses rattlesnakes to test their faith in God. Does this mean that you have no problem with children handling rattlesnakes because "religious freedom should trump any laws"???

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 3:17 am