CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+3
RedBedroom
Supernova
Chris
7 posters

Parents beliefs vs. Kids.

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Parents beliefs vs. Kids. Empty Parents beliefs vs. Kids.

Post by Chris Thu May 26, 2011 2:45 pm

Do you believe that parents should allow their children to choose their own beliefs, regardless of what they (the parents) would prefer they do?
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Parents beliefs vs. Kids. Empty Re: Parents beliefs vs. Kids.

Post by Supernova Thu May 26, 2011 2:54 pm

I think parents should start them out bringing them up in their own beliefs, and then when the kids get older they can decide for themselves, as a lot of them do. Religion is a very confusing thing to get into, especially for a kid whose parents don't offer any advice or information. You wouldn't just throw a kid into deciding for himself what he wants to wear or what he wants to eat, you'd have to teach him what's appropriate, what's healthy, what's good for him, etc., and keep on for a few years before he becomes old enough and trained enough that he knows how to make the decisions for himself, so why not this too?
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Thu May 26, 2011 2:58 pm

To a point. My son and I have been having repeated discussions about God. My son does not believe that He exists and I struggle with that and have told him that I feel he is too young and too inexperienced with life to make that determination so young. It is a struggle for me not to belittle his sentiments on the matter. But I try. I also let him know that I feel he will eventually see my side.

I think it is ok for kids to have their own beliefs but when it is a huge difference such as matters related to religion, both sides need to hear each other out.

My 22 year old step daughter has very different political views compared to me, and that's fine. It never stirs up any negativity. One thing we have butted heads on is how differently we view the public school system. Even after graduating with an education degree, she still thinks that bigger city schools are entirely inferior to small town schools. That bugs me a lot because she had that thought put in her head by her mom years ago, and it never left. And I think that had she been allowed more independent thinking on the matter back in the day, she wouldn't be so closed minded about it now. But, I think her mom was afraid that if she ever saw the appeal to big city schooling, she would opt to move in with us. So, from a young age, she was taught how "unsafe" big city schools are.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Thu May 26, 2011 9:38 pm

I think it should definitely be encouraged for children to think for themselves. But realistically, you're not going to let your 10 yr old choose to be a Muslim and you're a Christian.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Fri May 27, 2011 1:24 am

I was made to accompany the family to church on Sundays, even as a young teen. But my beliefs by mid teens was skepticism and atheism. I later toned down to agnostic. So, my beliefs were (are) different than most of my family and it started at a young age.

I wouldn't try to force a religion on a teenager - by that age they are into forming their own philosophy and should be free to do so.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Fri May 27, 2011 1:39 am

Shale wrote:I was made to accompany the family to church on Sundays, even as a young teen. But my beliefs by mid teens was skepticism and atheism. I later toned down to agnostic. So, my beliefs were (are) different than most of my family and it started at a young age.

I wouldn't try to force a religion on a teenager - by that age they are into forming their own philosophy and should be free to do so.

But a teen may or may not be informed enough to make an informed opinion.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Fri May 27, 2011 10:05 am

RedBedroom wrote:
    Shale wrote:I was made to accompany the family to church on Sundays, even as a young teen. But my beliefs by mid teens was skepticism and atheism. I later toned down to agnostic. So, my beliefs were (are) different than most of my family and it started at a young age.

But a teen may or may not be informed enough to make an informed opinion.

I hate to be brusque but informed enuf about the fallacy of a bearded old man in the sky who meddles in the lives of mortals, causing them untold grief and expecting them to praise HIM is not necessary. I knew intuitively as soon as I became a conscientious young adolescent that it was a myth and had holes all thru it. It does not take years at a seminary to figure that one out.

From personal experience as a young "atheist" give your input without being forceful or you will come off as ... well I can't speak for your son, but it could be divisive. BTW, I had a social studies teacher in high school (who tolerated dissent) and I respect the way he convinced me that I was actually an "anti-theist agnostic."
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Fri May 27, 2011 12:38 pm

When my kids are out on their own, what they believe is their responsibility. As long as they are under my care, my job as a parent is at least partially to instruct them in such matters, to the best of my ability. It's not my job as a parent to let my kid do whatever he wants.
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 26

Post by MandyPerfumeGirl Fri May 27, 2011 8:21 pm

Chris wrote:Do you believe that parents should allow their children to choose their own beliefs, regardless of what they (the parents) would prefer they do?

Yes, absolutely. Children, from an early age, should be encouraged to think for themselves and develop their own minds and opinions. Just because children are little munchkins doesn't mean they don't have the right to form their own opinions and thoughts.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 3:03 pm