CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+2
Supernova
Chris
6 posters

Teenage cutting

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Teenage cutting Empty Teenage cutting

Post by Chris Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:26 pm

What do you think the motivation behind kids cutting themselves is? Have you ever known any who were into this?
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Teenage cutting Empty Re: Teenage cutting

Post by Supernova Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:28 pm

I've never been able to figure this one out, what is the point? And then they go to great lengths to hide it, well that shows they know it's wrong but to hear some of them talk 'oh it's my business and you don't understand me', you're right, I don't understand the appeal of slicing open your wrist with a blade, do please explain to me why this is alluring.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:40 pm

Cry for attention for the most part.
    Hyacinth Girl
    Hyacinth Girl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 70

Post by Hyacinth Girl Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:16 pm

Most of the time there's some underlying mental illness, such as depression, schizophrenia or bipolar disorder, and cutting yourself is a way to silence the pain you feel in your head, by infliciting physical pain to cause you to shift your focus onto that, thus ignoring for a while, the mental anguish.

Cutters hide their "work" because they know it's wrong to do that to themselves, but it's a way to re-direct their focus by having to deal with the physical pain, which in their minds, is less-worse than the mental pain.

My daughter has a 15 year old guy-friend who is a cutter, and is bipolar, and ends up in rehab on occasion. He's the son of one of the local doctors, and whenever he ends up in rehab, the only person he'll call is my daughter. It's a lot to have dumped on a 16 year old, but she does very well in talking him out of his moods, calming him down and getting him to see that he's hurting everyone around him when he hurts himself. The boy's father, the doctor, even has my daughter's cell phone on his own speed dial so the family can contact her quickly, and we agreed for them to do that, because she's the only one that can get through to her friend when he goes off the deep end.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:29 pm

Attention getting I would think. I have never known anyone like that.
    Suzi
    Suzi
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 85

Post by Suzi Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:48 pm

Hyacinth Girl wrote:Most of the time there's some underlying mental illness, such as depression, schizophrenia or bipolar disorder, and cutting yourself is a way to silence the pain you feel in your head, by infliciting physical pain to cause you to shift your focus onto that, thus ignoring for a while, the mental anguish.

Cutters hide their "work" because they know it's wrong to do that to themselves, but it's a way to re-direct their focus by having to deal with the physical pain, which in their minds, is less-worse than the mental pain.
    That is the reason we were given by a cutter. Who is also bi-polar.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 2:53 am