CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+2
Nystyle709
Supernova
6 posters

Biographies/Autobiographies you have read

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Biographies/Autobiographies you have read Empty Biographies/Autobiographies you have read

Post by Supernova Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:44 pm

What are they?

I've read:

If I Knew Then What I Know Now...So What? by Estelle Getty
    I Ain't Down Yet by Gale Storm
    Joan of Arc by Mary Gordon
    The Bradbury Chronicles
    Lucy in the Afternoon
    George F. Kaufman's biography
    Having Our Say by the Delany Sisters
    Dead End Yells and Wedding Bells and Cockle Shells and Dizzy Spells by Leo Gorcey
    James Dean: The Mutant King
    James Dean: Short Life
    and a book on the Three Stooges, but I can't remember the author.

I've also read parts of Charlie Chaplin's and Frank Capra's autobiographies.

How about everyone else?
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Biographies/Autobiographies you have read Empty Re: Biographies/Autobiographies you have read

Post by Nystyle709 Mon Jul 12, 2010 2:15 am

I know I've read a few, but I don't know why they're escaping me right now. One memoir that stands out that I really enjoyed though was Cupcake Brown's. Very intriguing and interesting story.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Biographies/Autobiographies you have read Empty Re: Biographies/Autobiographies you have read

Post by RedBedroom Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:11 am

That is my genre of choice, so I have read too many to recall them all. My favorites have been Richard Simmons' Still Hungry after all these years, Jeanette Walls' The Glass Castle, and Why I Jumped by Tina Zahn.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:24 am

I've read a few for school but nothing too classic or significant.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:54 am

I've got a couple more to add to the list so far:

Me: Stories of My Life by Katharine Hepburn
    and Katharine Hepburn by Gary Carey
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 26

Post by MandyPerfumeGirl Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:50 pm

I've read very few (auto)biographies! :study: However, I do like these two:

1. "Sinatra: The Life" by Anthony Summer
    2. "By Myself" by Lauren Bacall
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:38 am

I've just started reading Stardust: the David Bowie Story, and so far I like it, it's very interesting, but I'm trying to take everything with a grain of salt because I remember he once said in the 80s that he doesn't even read the newspapers anymore because they get so many things wrong.

He said a newspaper did a 2 paragraph story about him and got 3 things in it wrong: that he was retiring, something about his sex life, and something about rotten teeth, he had crooked teeth but not rotten, and he put the three of them together for a headline, "David Bowie Retires after Rotten Sex". And if a little newspaper article could get so much wrong about him, even though it's the biographer's job to find out as many facts about a person as is possible to write down, you'd have to wonder how many little errors there could be in a 300 and some odd page book. But it's still very interesting.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Thu Dec 30, 2010 3:05 pm

I can only think of two. The Moon’s A Balloon by David Niven and Raging Bull: My Story by Jake La Motta, et al. That’s what the movie was based on.

True story. My brother used to work at a Western Union branch office in Times Sq. years ago. One time an older man comes in to wire some money to a woman named Vikki LaMotta. My brother didn’t think anything of it until the man gives “Raging Bull” as the security question answer. Turns out it was Jake LaMotta. They chatted for a bit and my brother asked him how true the movie was. He answered in a gravely voice, “That movie made me look like a pussy.”
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Thu Dec 30, 2010 10:12 pm

alan smithee wrote:I can only think of two. The Moon’s A Balloon by David Niven and Raging Bull: My Story by Jake La Motta, et al. That’s what the movie was based on.

True story. My brother used to work at a Western Union branch office in Times Sq. years ago. One time an older man comes in to wire some money to a woman named Vikki LaMotta. My brother didn’t think anything of it until the man gives “Raging Bull” as the security question answer. Turns out it was Jake LaMotta. They chatted for a bit and my brother asked him how true the movie was. He answered in a gravely voice, “That movie made me look like a pussy.”

Alan, that is an interesting story.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:22 pm