CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+7
Bluesmama
Marc™
Tony Marino
Forgiveness Man
Shale
RobbieFTW
Chris
11 posters

If you were on life support

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

If you were on life support Empty If you were on life support

Post by Chris Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:36 am

A spin off of this thread ---> http://www.conversationchamber.com/t8613-taking-a-loved-one-off-life-support

Say you've been in a deep coma for six months to a year, via life support, with no signs of improvement and doctors aren't optimistic about your prospect of recovery. Would you want your family to turn off the machine or to let you continue to exist?

Have you had this conversation with your loved ones?
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

If you were on life support Empty Re: If you were on life support

Post by RobbieFTW Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:10 am

Never talked about this. I really dont know what i'd have them do in this call. Whatever choice they can deal with is up to them.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:40 am

My wishes are known by family and doctors and has been written down and copies given to them:

Declaration made this 12th day of September 2010.

I, Shale Stone, willfully and voluntarily make known my desire that my dying not be artificially prolonged under the circumstances set forth below, and do hereby declare that, if at any time I am incapacitated, have a terminal condition, an end-stage condition or am in a persistent vegetative state and if my attending or treating physician and another consulting physician have determined that there is no medical probability of my recovery from such condition, I direct that life-prolonging procedures be withheld or withdrawn when the application of such procedures would serve only to prolong artificially the process of dying, and that I be permitted to die naturally with only the administration of medication or the performance of any medical procedure deemed necessary to provide me with comfort care or to alleviate pain.

It is my intention that this declaration be honored by my family and physician as the final expression of my legal right to refuse medical or surgical treatment and to accept the consequences for such refusal.

In the event that I have been determined to be unable to provide express and informed consent regarding the withholding, withdrawal, or continuation of life prolonging procedures, I wish to designate, as my surrogate to carry out the provisions of this declaration:

(Grandson - since my bank accounts are In Trust For my daughter)

I understand the full import of this declaration, and I am emotionally and mentally competent to make this declaration.

ADDITIONAL INSTRUCTIONS:

Measures of artificial life-support in the face of impending death that I specifically refuse are:
    • Electrical or mechanical resuscitation of my heart (CPR) when it has stopped beating.
    • Mechanical respiration when I am no longer able to sustain my own breathing.
    • Gastric or naso-gastric tube feeding, or parenteral nourishment when I am paralyzed or unable to take nourishment by mouth.

SIGNED: __________________________________ DATE: 09-12-10
    Shale Stone
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:28 am

The problem with doctors is that they often get it wrong when it comes to a patient's chances of recovery. It also depends on what would be withdrawn. Nobody is ever to take nourishment from me cause taking nourishment is blatant starving me to death. The breathing machine is different. I'm not opposed to withholding truly extraordinary measures of life sustenance, but nourishment is not extraordinary. So in the modern age, I really don't trust doctors to make decisions anymore.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Fri Jan 20, 2012 11:45 am

If there is no hope pull the plug. Its up to one of my brother's how they feel about the situation.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:39 pm

If it's some random thing where for whatever reason I slip into a coma, give me at least a year to wake up. If it's some kind of brutal accident I was in and there's no brain activity, then pull the plug right away.
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 43

Post by Bluesmama Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:51 pm

People seldom pull out of long-range comas, or life-support, being anywhere near what they used to be. I don't want that.

My husband is well-aware of my wishes; however, my brothers are not, and that's where conflict would start. I do intend to get a DNR.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:05 pm

After the whole Terri Schiavo thing, my mother decided we should have the DNR thing that we would not be kept on life support for years and years. But I don't know, I read about one man who for 20 years the doctors insisted he was in a coma, in a vegetative state, but THEN it turned out he was NOT, he was paralyzed and something else I don't know, but for the 20 years the doctors were saying he didn't know anything, he did he just couldn't do anything about it. So I don't know, for the time being just keep my fingers crossed and hope that day never comes.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:09 pm

Bluesmama wrote:...I do intend to get a DNR.

Today? blank stare @ you

I used to work on an ortho unit at a large hospital. Our admission policy was to inform about Advance Directives and DNR. However, somehow going to surgery was beurocratically pre-admission, so I would get these ppl after recovery and admitted to the unit who never had this info.

I always started with "Well you made it thru the woods - let me tell you about the bears there." It was insane that this did not take place before going under anaesthesia (notice I didn't say knife - the anaesthesia can kill you faster than the cutting).

Even you young healthy ppl should PUT YOUR WISHES IN WRITING because you never know when you will end up like Nancy Cruzon or Terri Shiavo.

Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:16 pm

Supernova wrote:After the whole Terri Schiavo thing, my mother decided we should have the DNR thing that we would not be kept on life support for years and years. But I don't know, I read about one man who for 20 years the doctors insisted he was in a coma, in a vegetative state, but THEN it turned out he was NOT, he was paralyzed and something else I don't know, but for the 20 years the doctors were saying he didn't know anything, he did he just couldn't do anything about it. So I don't know, for the time being just keep my fingers crossed and hope that day never comes.

I see that we were writing at the same time. For me, if paralyzed then following the same directives for vegetative state would still be appreciated.

So you are gambling that your mindless body would be kept breathing if you ended up like Terri. I guess the gov would pay for that long-term care thru Medicaid, unless they could first pin it on your mother until she was bankrupted.

Guess I am just old-fashioned. Half a century ago this was not much of an issue. You suffered a greivous injury you died. It was built into the living contract.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Fri Jan 20, 2012 2:05 pm

Supernova wrote:After the whole Terri Schiavo thing, my mother decided we should have the DNR thing that we would not be kept on life support for years and years.
    The sad thing is that Terri Schiavo was not on life support. She could breathe on her own, and likely even be able to eat too. They just mandated that nobody was allowed to feed her or give her water and they had sharpshooters in place to enforce that. Such a humane way to go!
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:38 pm

I really don't give a shit at that point. I've told my family NOT to pull the plug so quickly though. Give me at least a year.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:11 am

I have a cousin that was 22 when she had a car accident in 1985. Her parents have spent millions of dollars keeping her alive. They have lost 2 houses in the past 10 yrs, and spend every dime on her. In my thinking, even if she woke up, she would have missed half her life already... missed her chance to marry her fiance and have kids... would see gray hair in the mirror... that shock alone could kill her.

There is no way I want this for myself!
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:14 am

wants2laugh wrote:I have a cousin that was 22 when she had a car accident in 1985. Her parents have spent millions of dollars keeping her alive. They have lost 2 houses in the past 10 yrs, and spend every dime on her. In my thinking, even if she woke up, she would have missed half her life already... missed her chance to marry her fiance and have kids... would see gray hair in the mirror... that shock alone could kill her.

There is no way I want this for myself!

She's still comatose?
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:49 am

Marc™️ wrote:

She's still comatose?

co-signs I'd like to know too. That's crazy.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 2:05 am