CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+3
CatEyes10736
CeCe
Chris
7 posters

Rick Santorum On Opposition To Abortion In Cases Of Rape: 'Make The Best Out Of A Bad Situation' (video)

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

News Rick Santorum On Opposition To Abortion In Cases Of Rape: 'Make The Best Out Of A Bad Situation' (video)

Post by Chris Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:48 am

Rick Santorum On Opposition To Abortion In Cases Of Rape: 'Make The Best Out Of A Bad Situation'
    Posted: 01/23/2012 5:42 pm

GOP presidential candidate Rick Santorum explained his opposition to abortion even in cases of rape during an interview Friday, saying that women who face such circumstances should "make the best out of a bad situation."

Asked by CNN's Piers Morgan what he would do if his own daughter approached him, begging for an abortion after having been raped, Santorum explained that he would counsel her to "accept this horribly created" baby, because it was still a gift from God, even if given in a "broken" way.

"Well, you can make the argument that if she doesn't have this baby, if she kills her child, that that, too, could ruin her life. And this is not an easy choice, I understand that. As horrible as the way that that son or daughter and son was created, it still is her child. And whether she has that child or she doesn't, it will always be her child, and she will always know that," Santorum said.

"And so to embrace her and to love her and to support her and get her through this very difficult time, I've always, you know, I believe and I think the right approach is to accept this horribly created -- in the sense of rape -- but nevertheless a gift in a very broken way, the gift of human life, and accept what God has given to you. As you know, we have to, in lots of different aspects of our life we have horrible things happen. I can't think of anything more horrible, but nevertheless, we have to make the best out of a bad situation and I would make the argument that that is making the best."

Santorum has crusaded against abortion throughout his tenure as a legislator and presidential hopeful. A recent analysis of his time as a U.S. senator showed an almost obsessive tendency to talk about abortion-related subjects on the Senate floor. His strict views on the issue, as well as gay rights, have repeatedly drawn aggressive pushback from his detractors on the campaign trail.

In an op-ed in the Wall Street Journal on Monday, Santorum called Obama's support of women's reproductive rights "radical and extreme," arguing that this was illustrated through the president's recent statement on the 39th anniversary of Roe v. Wade.

Other hardline anti-abortion advocates have explained their views much like Santorum has. In 2010, Tea Party-backed Nevada Senate candidate Sharron Angle was asked to explain her belief that abortions were unacceptable even in the case of a girl being raped by her father.

"I think that two wrongs don't make a right," she answered. "And I have been in the situation of counseling young girls, not 13 but 15, who have had very at-risk, difficult pregnancies. And my counsel was to look for some alternatives, which they did. And they found that they had made what was really a lemon situation into lemonade."
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

News Re: Rick Santorum On Opposition To Abortion In Cases Of Rape: 'Make The Best Out Of A Bad Situation' (video)

Post by CeCe Tue Jan 24, 2012 9:53 am

Frothy Mix still struggling to be relevant.
    CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

News Re: Rick Santorum On Opposition To Abortion In Cases Of Rape: 'Make The Best Out Of A Bad Situation' (video)

Post by CatEyes10736 Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:28 pm

Jerk. Just because his mother was stuck with him.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:59 pm

Shrugs (Oh well…)
    It's something he'd say....
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:35 pm

He's right. A baby is a baby. Being conceived from rape doesn't give the mother a right to kill the baby. If she went to the rapist's home and plugged him, she'd be arrested. But she can kill his baby? We can't execute rapists, just their children... Being raped is a sad thing, but killing the child won't make it better. It won't undo the rape. And it can never be justified just because it's a tough situation. Whether you like it or not, that's still a baby and no amount of "you are so evil for forcing her to have a baby" will change the fact that killing that baby is murder. Having a sympathetic excuse for killing a baby doesn't make it right or tolerable. So he's right, and everyone knows it. Abortion is wrong, in all cases. Murder is murder. And trying to use instances of rape, which make up such a small minority of actual abortions, as an excuse to justify murder, is really evidentiary of how weak the actual case for abortion is. Besides, abortion makes it easier for rapists since Planned Parenthood likes to cover up statutory rape. Abortion hurts victims of rape. It hurts women in general. You can't be Pro-Woman and Pro-Abortion.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Tue Jan 24, 2012 10:44 pm

Sure.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:12 am

Forgiveness Man wrote: You can't be Pro-Woman and Pro-Abortion.

This is where you are confused. I respect your views, but a MAN telling a woman that she is forced to put her body through 9 months of gestation and then delivery after she was raped is not only disgusting, but THAT is Anti-Woman. It is taking a woman's choice away, AFTER her self respect and dignity was taken away by the rape. A sense of safety is ripped from a woman who has been raped, and her entire world changes to the point that she does not feel safe in her own home, with her male friends/partners, and it desecrates her image of the great experience of sex. After a rape, sex and peace of mind are never the same.

Pro-woman would mean allowing a woman to have a thought, opinion, and allow her to act according to those thoughts and opinions.

And btw... no one is every "pro-abortion". I have yet to meet someone who believes that "abortions are fun". Santorum was right when he said that a woman has to deal with the consequences of a pregancy--- whether she keeps the baby, adopts, or aborts---she will deal with that for the rest of her life. That is on her. If you believe that she will burn in hell, then let her burn in hell for it.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 1:21 pm