CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

5 posters

Am I wrong?

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Am I wrong? Empty Am I wrong?

Post by Supernova Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:52 pm

Okay, I got into a debate with someone about kids whose parents don't talk to them about sex. Now first of all I do believe you brought them into this world YOU tell them the facts of life, that's one of the 'fun' things about being a parent, the dirty work does fall on you because you're responsible for them.

However, if a parent doesn't talk to their kid and they don't have/get sex ed in school, then I also firmly believe that the kids have the means and opportunity in today's internet information super highway age, to find out for themselves. I never got the talk so that's what I did, when I was 9 I read about sex in medical books and when I was 13 I went online to find out the rest of the answers and I got the real facts.

Now, this other person says parents like that make it impossible for kids to find out for themselves because they hover over them all the time and are always watching them, etc., heavily implying that these kids can't ever get away from the parents. But THEN, they added that these are the kids who run out and have sex and then get pregnant because they didn't learn about protection.

Okay...this is just my thought, if the kid can't even get time and room enough away from the parent to go on a computer or pick up a medical text book and read about sex and learn about condoms and birth control, then where do they find the time and privacy to run out and just do it? Hmmmmm? See obviously the kids DO manage to get away from them at some point after all. Maybe 30 years ago if they didn't have the talk with their parents they were screwed, but today everybody is always plugged into the internet and you can find out anything about anything on it.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Am I wrong? Empty Re: Am I wrong?

Post by Tony Marino Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:07 pm

What the kids don't learn from their parents they learn from their friends. Growing up my parents NEVER talked to any of us about the facts of life. I learned everything I had to know from the boys I grew up with and went to school with. Now with the internet there is a wealth of information that kids do find out about on their own. A parent can't hover over their children 24/7 they are going to have time to themselves at some point. What about the school library, they have computers what is to stop a kid from looking up info on their computers?
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:11 pm

Tony Marino wrote:What the kids don't learn from their parents they learn from their friends. Growing up my parents NEVER talked to any of us about the facts of life. I learned everything I had to know from the boys I grew up with and went to school with. Now with the internet there is a wealth of information that kids do find out about on their own. A parent can't hover over their children 24/7 they are going to have time to themselves at some point. What about the school library, they have computers what is to stop a kid from looking up info on their computers?

Bingo. The parents aren't with them 24/7 like you said, so they do have opportunities to find it out.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:13 pm

Supernova wrote:

Bingo. The parents aren't with them 24/7 like you said, so they do have opportunities to find it out.

Of course they do. I don't know about girls but pre-teen boys are obsessed about finding out about sex, I know me and my little buddies were! Another thing, if we were really curious about something we would go ask one of the Older teens about it and they were more then happy to supply the answer.

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:23 pm

Tony Marino wrote:

Of course they do. I don't know about girls but pre-teen boys are obsessed about finding out about sex, I know me and my little buddies were! Another thing, if we were really curious about something we would go ask one of the Older teens about it and they were more then happy to supply the answer.

Kind of like how all the adults try to ban alcohol from kids and teenagers. You can try it all you want, but they'll just get it from the older teenagers anyway.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:38 pm

As per the average kid, Super, you are totally correct. However, you have to take into consideration many kids don't have access to information about sex that is via books or Internet. In low-income rural areas, many kids don't get online less the allowed sites in the classroom. Sure, all of their friends will talk and they will "learn" some stuff. But kids like that learn "gems" such as, "You can't get pregnant while on your period or on your first time." The reality of sex is so elusive to them they may be too quick to have unsafe sex because they have no grasp of the true repercussions.

When even kids with a ton of knowledge about sex from parents and school are getting pregnant, it is to be assumed the ones knowing little are getting pregnant at a possibly faster rate.

The area I went to high school in have a lot of students with parents refusing the sex ed chapter in Jr. high. Internet is over $80 a month there so many do not have it. So I do kinda get where that person is coming from.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:01 pm

But then you also consider the school libraries and the public ones. People who don't have internet at home or kids who don't think they have enough privacy will go to the library and use their computers. And that's another reason why it's vital that towns don't close their libraries because it cuts people off from a lot of help. Now I understand this isn't a possibility in all areas, but if parents are refusing sex ed in schools, (and I can understand that but only if) then they need to take it upon themselves to talk to the kids because knowing the facts never hurt anybody, NOT knowing it did and anybody who's been in that position should be able to appreciate that.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:13 pm

Oh, don't get me wrong...I am all for parents being proactive about it. But for the ones that are not, it is entirely possible for kids to never get their hands and eyes on real information. In rural areas, that public library may be too far for parents to drive the kids. And school computers are monitored and don't allow for free use for just any topic.
    Suzi
    Suzi
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 85

Post by Suzi Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:20 pm

I was forced into having that chat with my girls and I was not real happy about having to explain the facts of life to a 2nd grader! It was my intention to tell all my kids, just not when they were in 2nd and 3rd grade. The boy fortunately waited a while. However when your little kid comes home and says "I can't believe what they say the F word means"....you sit them down and give them the real facts. Shoot I hadn't even told them about their periods yet.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:36 pm

I never will buy the copout excuses of "they will do it anyway." I will also never buy the excuses of "they didn't know about condoms." BULL CRAP! Kids today are so damn connected that I doubt any of them don't know what a condom is or how to use it. That excuse is just what schools use to justify indoctrination. Kids don't need the schools.

But I do think parents should talk to their kids because they WILL find out otherwise and it likely will not be in a good way. I think parents need to properly inform their kids so that their kids won't fall victim to the fallacious lies of friends and school that are only focused on getting them in the sack. (Now if the parents are also only concerned about that, then the kid is most likely screwed)
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:17 pm

Forgiveness Man wrote:I never will buy the copout excuses of "they will do it anyway." I will also never buy the excuses of "they didn't know about condoms." BULL CRAP! Kids today are so damn connected that I doubt any of them don't know what a condom is or how to use it. That excuse is just what schools use to justify indoctrination. Kids don't need the schools.

But I do think parents should talk to their kids because they WILL find out otherwise and it likely will not be in a good way. I think parents need to properly inform their kids so that their kids won't fall victim to the fallacious lies of friends and school that are only focused on getting them in the sack. (Now if the parents are also only concerned about that, then the kid is most likely screwed)

Really, this isn't the middle ages so unless you're Amish, who doesn't know about condoms? I mean it's not just a matter of do these kids not have sex ed in school or not research it on the internet, do they also never watch TV?
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:25 pm

Supernova wrote:Really, this isn't the middle ages so unless you're Amish, who doesn't know about condoms? I mean it's not just a matter of do these kids not have sex ed in school or not research it on the internet, do they also never watch TV?
    I agree. Kids these days know what condoms are. The problem is that they are under the illusion that condoms equal responsibility.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 28, 2024 3:21 am