CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

5 posters

Father Marcel Guarnizo, Maryland Priest, Denies Communion To Lesbian Parishioner At Her Mother's Funeral

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

News Father Marcel Guarnizo, Maryland Priest, Denies Communion To Lesbian Parishioner At Her Mother's Funeral

Post by Chris Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:49 pm

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/02/27/maryland-priest-communion-lesbian-denial-_n_1304910.html

Father Marcel Guarnizo, Maryland Priest, Denies Communion To Lesbian Parishioner At Her Mother's Funeral

Germantown - 40 Days for Life - Fr. Marcel from Michael Martelli on Vimeo.

Posted: 02/27/2012 3:52 pm

A Maryland-based priest is garnering heat in the blogosphere today after allegedly denying communion to a lesbian parishioner attending her mother's funeral.

As The New Civil Rights Movement blogger David Badash is reporting, Father Marcel Guarnizo of Gaithersburg's Saint John Neumann Catholic Church reportedly covered the bowl containing the Eucharist as the woman, who is identified only as Barbara, approached him.

“I cannot give you communion because you live with a woman and that is a sin according to the church," he is quoted as saying.

Badash quotes from an Addicting Info blog written by Ann Werner, who also notes, "To add insult to injury, Fr. Guarnizo left the altar when she delivered her eulogy to her mother. When the funeral was finished he informed the funeral director that he could not go to the gravesite to deliver the final blessing because he was sick."

Werner also notes, "I will tell you a little about the woman who drove that priest from the altar. She is kind, she is smart, she is funny and she works hard promoting the arts. She pays her bills, she cares deeply for her family and she loved her mother and her mother loved her right back. And now she will never set foot in a Catholic church again and who can blame her?"

Other bloggers seem to agree with Badash's assessment of Guarnizo. On Restore DC Catholicism, one reader notes, "We need to have a mass protest against this HYPOCRITE! He is one of these reactionary evangelical zealots who believe the pulpit is a place to condemn others and control public policy."
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

News Re: Father Marcel Guarnizo, Maryland Priest, Denies Communion To Lesbian Parishioner At Her Mother's Funeral

Post by Alan Smithee Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:30 pm

It may have been a chicken shit thing for him to do but when you're in his ball park you play be his rules.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

News Re: Father Marcel Guarnizo, Maryland Priest, Denies Communion To Lesbian Parishioner At Her Mother's Funeral

Post by Shale Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:30 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:It may have been a chicken shit thing for him to do but when you're in his ball park you play be his rules.

Yeah, I agree. You don't need to be catholic. Religion is a choice and I can't see why any gay person would remain in a religion that abhors them.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:32 am

Hey, that's the way it goes. It doesn't matter how nice you are or how often you pay your bills. If you are in the state of mortal sin, you are not supposed to be receiving communion. And if she never sets foot in a Catholic Church again, it's not because of this priest. Nobody can drive you from the Church but you. The Church's teachings are not secret so I am tired of all of these people trying to have it both ways and claim Catholicism while holding anti-Catholic views. If you don't like anything the Church teaches, then you have already left the Church. This woman already did.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:29 pm

Update:

Rev. Marcel Guarnizo Suspended: Priest Who Denied Communion To Lesbian Barbara Johnson, Withdrawn For 'Intimidating Behavior'

Rev. Marcel Guarnizo, the priest who denied a lesbian woman communion at her mother's funeral, has been suspended.

Father Marcel Guarnizo, who until his recent suspension served at Gaithersburg's Saint John Neumann Catholic Church outside of Washington D.C., was reported to have covered the bowl containing the Eucharist as Barbara Johnson, who is a lesbian, approached him at her mother's funeral.

The priest is reported to have told her: “I cannot give you communion because you live with a woman and that is a sin according to the church."

The widely reported incident created a public outcry and Ms. Johnson received an apology from the Catholic Archdiocese of Washington, D.C.

Now the The Washington Post reports a letter dated March 9, was sent by Rev. Barry Knestout, a top administrator for the Diocese, announcing Guarnizo's removal, for reasons of: “engaging in intimidating behavior toward parish staff and others that is incompatible with proper priestly ministry.”

The letter, which was printed by Real Clear Religion reads:

I write to inform you that effective today, Father Marcel Guarnizo’s assignment at St. John Neumann Parish is withdrawn and he has been placed on administrative leave with his priestly faculties removed until such time as an inquiry into his actions at the parish is completed.

This action was taken after I received credible allegations that Father Guarnizo has engaged in intimidating behavior toward parish staff and others that is incompatible with proper priestly ministry.

Given the grave nature of these allegations, and in light of the confusion in the parish and the concerns expressed by parishioners, Father Guarnizo is prohibited from exercising any priestly ministry in the Archdiocese of Washington until all matters can be appropriately resolved, with the hope that he might return to priestly ministry.

Sincerely in Christ
    Most Reverend Barry C. Knestout
    Vicar General and Moderator of the Curia"

It is unclear when, if ever, Father Marcel Guarnizo will return to Gaithersburg's Saint John Neumann Catholic Church.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/11/rev-marcel-guarnizo-pries_n_1338120.html?ncid=edlinkusaolp00000003
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:14 am

So the priest who rightfully upheld the holy church doctrine without the consideration of compassion has pissed off others as well.

Sometimes religious ppl get so wrapped up in the structure of the religion that they neglect the substance of it. I think this mindset would piss off Jesus - but I am not a part of the One True Church.

We had a problem back in the late '80s with the Missionaries of Charity who were visiting ppl on the AIDS unit where I was volunteering. Seems they were only concerned with having these gay men who were dying of the disease to repent their sins. I know of at least one catholic patient I worked with who forbade them to visit him any more. Ppl who are dying sometimes go thru different more mundane priorities than those held by religious ppl and those of us working with them try to give comfort and support here instead of the hereafter.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:09 pm