CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+6
Alan Smithee
Tony Marino
Hyacinth Girl
CeCe
tmontyb
Marc™
10 posters

12-year-old sues school district for punishing her over Facebook posts, demanding her passwords

Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

News 12-year-old sues school district for punishing her over Facebook posts, demanding her passwords

Post by Marc™ Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:49 am

12-year-old sues school district for punishing her over Facebook posts, demanding her passwords
    Sixth-grader says her Constitutional rights were violated

By Meena Hart Duerson / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS
    Sunday, March 11, 2012, 6:58 PM

12-year-old sues school district for punishing her over Facebook posts, demanding her passwords Image
    A sixth-grader says she was forced to turn over her Facebook password.

A 12-year-old Minnesota student is suing her school district, claiming her Constitutional rights were violated when she was punished for comments she left on Facebook and forced to hand over her Internet passwords.

The sixth-grader, identified only as R.S. in court papers, is backed by the American Civil Liberties Union in the lawsuit against Minnewaska School District, filed Tuesday by her mother on her behalf.

R.S. claims she was repeatedly punished for statements she made on her Facebook account, including an instance in which she wrote that she hated one of the school's hall monitors who was "mean to her," according to the Minnesota Star Tribune.

The principal found a screen shot of the post - what the ACLU called “a typical young girl’s comment” - and put her in detention, ordering her to apologize to the hall monitor.

R.S. was later suspended for writing a Facebook post - which included an expletive - demanding to know who who turned her in, according to CNN.

In a third disciplinary interaction over her online behavior, the twelve-year-old says she was called in to meet with a deputy sheriff and two school staffers and forced to reveal her passwords after another student's mother complained R.S. used the computer to talk to her son about sex.

"She was intimidated, frightened, humiliated and sobbing while school administrators were scouring her private communications," attorney Wally Hilke said in a statement, according to CNN. "These adults traumatized this minor without any regard for her rights."

R.S. is suing on the grounds her First and Fourth Amendment rights were violated and the incidents caused her so much distress her schoolwork suffered because she was too embarrassed to return to class, according to the Star-Tribune.

The school district defended itself in a statement, saying, "The district did not violate R.S.'s civil rights, and disputes the one-sided version of events set forth in the complaint written by the ACLU...The district is confident that once all facts come to light, the district's conduct will be found to be reasonable and appropriate."

Source:
    http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/12-year-old-sues-school-district-punishing-facebook-posts-demanding-passwords-article-1.1037192#ixzz1osnBCtHZ
    tmontyb
    tmontyb
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 37

News Re: 12-year-old sues school district for punishing her over Facebook posts, demanding her passwords

Post by tmontyb Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:21 am

I hope she wins and gets every penny she asks for. I have no problem with her Facebook comments being "flagged", but the school should have gone to her parents. They had no right punishing her or demanding her to give her password. Who do they think they are?
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

News Re: 12-year-old sues school district for punishing her over Facebook posts, demanding her passwords

Post by CeCe Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:26 am

tmontyb wrote:I hope she wins and gets every penny she asks for. I have no problem with her Facebook comments being "flagged", but the school should have gone to her parents. They had no right punishing her or demanding her to give her password. Who do they think they are?
    co-signs the school was out of line.
    Hyacinth Girl
    Hyacinth Girl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 70

Post by Hyacinth Girl Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:04 am

I think the school crossed the line, and should've taken the issue up with the parents---and BTW, where were the parents in all this? If they'd been monitoring properly, they should have had the daughter delete the posts, or better yet, shut down her account if she's going to misuse it and flame people.

There's nothing wrong with speaking your mind, but if there's any possibility of it coming back to bite you on the ass, then that should be the red-flag to not do it in the first place, or at least word it very carefully.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:50 pm

Sigh....................
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:11 pm

Facebook is The Prince of Darkness
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:59 am

The article said nothing about contacting the parents, which they should have done.

And Yup yup, "Facebook is the devil"
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:24 am

Alan Smithee wrote:Facebook is The Prince of Darkness
    Cheaps wrote:...And Yup yup, "Facebook is the devil"

Am I the only one on this board who has a Facebook page? It is just a social network where I communicate with ppl I don't know outside of cyberspace. It is what you make of it. Blue Cool

Sorta like a forum board.
    blank stare @ you
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:05 am

Cheaps wrote:The article said nothing about contacting the parents, which they should have done.

And Yup yup, "Facebook is the devil"
    RIGHT ON!
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:06 am

Alan Smithee wrote:Facebook is The Prince of Darkness

Hmmm. True, but I think devil has a bit more sting.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:49 am

I would be very upset if my 12 year old was in this situation. Granted he would be in a world of hurt for doing such stupid things on FB, but I don't think schools have the right to punish for any FB acts unless they are done on school computers or on phones during school hours.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:19 pm

Even before I read this, I heard a news story that there is a growing practice of employers doing the same thing with job candidates. Chuck you Farley!

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:37 am