CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+6
Alan Smithee
CeCe
tmontyb
jennab85
Chris
RedBedroom
10 posters

Should transgender women be allowed to compete in female beauty pageants?

RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Should transgender women be allowed to compete in female beauty pageants? Empty Should transgender women be allowed to compete in female beauty pageants?

Post by RedBedroom Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:01 pm

Should transgender women be allowed to compete in female beauty pageants?

That's the question at the center of a heated scandal involving one Canadian pageant contestant. Jenna Talackova, 23, was born male but has identified as a female since age 4. She began hormone therapy at 14 and underwent gender reassignment surgery at 19.

On Friday, Talackova, a Vancouver resident, was booted from the Miss Universe Canada competition "because she did not meet the requirements to compete despite having stated otherwise on her entry form," the organization said in a statement. "We do, however, respect her goals, determination and wish her the best."

According to The Province newspaper, Talackova was selected among 65 finalists for the 2012 competition. She was removed from the competition despite there being no mention of rules regarding sex changes, The Province reports.

"I am very disappointed with the decision taken by the Miss Universe ... organizers," Talackova said in a statement released Monday. "However, I will look to turn this situation into a positive so that other people in a similar situation are not discriminated against in the future."

In a 2010 interview for Thailand's Miss International Queen, a pageant for transgendered women, Talackova was asked whether she regards herself as transgender or as a woman. "I regard myself as a woman … with a history," she said.

'Rules Very Clear'
    But the head of the pageant says there are rules regarding a contestant's gender at birth. The national director of Miss Universe Canada says that Talackova indicated on her registration form that she was born a female but later admitted that she was born a male, India Today reports.

"She feels like a real girl and she is a real girl. She didn't expect people to question it," Denis Davila told the publication. "She was hoping we could put her back in the competition, but the rules are very clear, and there's no way we can go back on it."

Reactions to Talackova's story have been mixed. Detractors maintain that only natural-born women should be allowed to compete in traditional women's beauty pageants. But the ousted beauty queen also has her supporters – more than 20,000 of them and counting.

A change.org petition has netted 20,171 signatures in an effort to reverse the decision to disqualify Talackova from the the Donald Trump-owned pageant. Talackova is expected to release a statement this week after speaking with her lawyer.

In a statement Monday afternoon, the Miss Universe Organization said: "As with any competition, the Miss Universe pageant has rules which apply to all of its franchises around the world. Such rules include, but are not limited to citizenship, age, and marital status requirements. Additionally, the rules currently state that all contestants must be naturally born females. After review, organizers discovered that Jenna Talackova falsified her application and did not meet the necessary requirements to compete in the 2012 Miss Universe Canada pageant." Should transgender women be allowed to compete in female beauty pageants? Jenna-talackova-300
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Should transgender women be allowed to compete in female beauty pageants? Empty Re: Should transgender women be allowed to compete in female beauty pageants?

Post by RedBedroom Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:04 pm

If the rules really state this, then I don't think she has a case. But it really sucks because it's not as if she's the only one in the competition who has had plastic surgery. Hers was just much more elaborate.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Should transgender women be allowed to compete in female beauty pageants? Empty Re: Should transgender women be allowed to compete in female beauty pageants?

Post by Chris Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:36 pm

I couldn't come up with a reason for saying no, so long as they're post-op.
    jennab85
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female
    Rep : 2

Post by jennab85 Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:39 pm

I'm in support of transgender people but this situation is complicated for me to answer yes or no.
    tmontyb
    tmontyb
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 37

Post by tmontyb Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:58 pm

Chris wrote:I couldn't come up with a reason for saying no, so long as they're post-op.

I completely agree. As far as I'm concerned that's a woman.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:59 pm

Chris wrote:I couldn't come up with a reason for saying no, so long as they're post-op.

tmontyb wrote:I completely agree. As far as I'm concerned that's a woman.
    co-signs
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:31 pm

tmontyb wrote:

I completely agree. As far as I'm concerned that's a woman.

I'd say her doctors did a pretty good job.

Should transgender women be allowed to compete in female beauty pageants? JENNA-TALACKOVA-MISS-UNIVERSE-CANADA-TRANSGENDEREDShould transgender women be allowed to compete in female beauty pageants? S-JENNA-TALACKOVA-MISS-UNIVERSE-CANADA-TRANSGENDERED-large
    Suzi
    Suzi
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 85

Post by Suzi Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:53 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:

I'd say her doctors did a pretty good job.

I have to agree with that, and lets face it some of that has to have been hers originally. My husband and son could have all the work in the world and NEVER look like that. Hell my daughters never looked like that.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:12 pm

Suzi wrote:
    I have to agree with that, and lets face it some of that has to have been hers originally. My husband and son could have all the work in the world and NEVER look like that. Hell my daughters never looked like that.

But if your husband did have that work done...would that make you a de facto lesbian? thinking
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:36 pm

LOL. He/she needs to go by the rules.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:00 am

Rules say, you must be naturally born a female... So...Shrugs (Oh well…)
    Suzi
    Suzi
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 85

Post by Suzi Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:34 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:

But if your husband did have that work done...would that make you a de facto lesbian? thinking
    Well the old saying works here, "I don't care what you call me , just don't call me late for dinner".
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:37 pm

I would say it dosen't matter.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 5:21 am