CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+6
Forgiveness Man
Rule Breaker
RedBedroom
Marc™
Chris
Supernova
10 posters

Child beauty pageants

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Child beauty pageants Empty Child beauty pageants

Post by Supernova Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:59 am

Who agrees that those things should be outlawed and anybody who enters their kid needs to be arrested for child abuse?
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Child beauty pageants Empty Re: Child beauty pageants

Post by Chris Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:12 am

I wouldn't go so far as to say that anyone who enters a child into a beauty pageant should be locked up, but in general I do think that they are inappropriate for children. If a 13+ y/o teenager wants to compete, then fine; they are old enough to understand what the logistics of it is, and to possibly reconcile the negative attributes of it. A six year old, though, isn't.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:17 pm

And what about the ones that enter their 6 month old babies in them? What the hell? In every beauty pageant there's the talent competition, exactly what talent is a 6 month old going to display?

And you consider everything they put the kids through to make them look right, colored eye contacts, hair extensions, tons of makeup, fake nails, fake eyelashes, and those outfits, I once saw on TV a mother had her 5 year old in a cowgirl outfit do a striptease and strip down to a fringe bikini for the judges so she'd win. You can't tell me that isn't abuse, teaching your girls how to be whores and implanting in their brains that that's the only way they're going to be worth anything.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:37 pm

Supernova wrote:And what about the ones that enter their 6 month old babies in them? What the hell? In every beauty pageant there's the talent competition, exactly what talent is a 6 month old going to display?

Those "Most Beautiful Baby" pageants open up Pandora's box....for the parents. They should be outlawed too.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male

Post by Chris Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:59 pm

In general, they're not for kids IMO. Little girls shouldn't be up on stage in skimpy or gaudy outfits, with caked on makeup. It's just too much.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:54 am

When the girls are made up to be kinda sexy-ish, that is not cool. I think it would be a much better course for it to begin at about age six or seven, when talent is part of it, along with stage presence and articulation.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:20 am

Yeah but even if their parents aren't trying for a sexual look there's still all the makeup and hair and extensions and colored contact lenses and then you have the parents who pull their kids out of school to be in pageants and the ones that won't let their kids eat during that time, or the ones who hop their kids up on sugar so they'll have extra energy to perform, to all of that I gotta ask, where's it all gonna end?
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Sat Jul 31, 2010 3:28 am

I guess I don't look at pageants a whole lot different than I do motocross racing. I think that some kids thrive on certain things. And while I think bows and dresses are lame and pageants lame, many feel the same about the sport my son loved from the time he could talk, and could finally race at age five. I think that often, with pageants, kids are pushed into it. But so many lay people think the same of moto, which is absolutely not at all my experience with it. So, I look at it that way.
    Rule Breaker
    Rule Breaker
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male
    Rep : 0

Post by Rule Breaker Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:44 am

The pageants are fine IMHO if the little girl is truly into getting dolled up and finds it exciting and fun. It's the overzealous parents that bother me.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:31 am

I agree that they should probably be banned. IDK if I could go as far as to lock up any parent who does it, but I don't like the ideas behind these things.
    CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

Post by CatEyes10736 Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:57 am

I'm not a fan of them. Moreso than the objectionable attire that some wear on stage, I don't think at a young age it should be instilled in little girls to compete against each other like they do, because all it leads to is pettiness, jealousy and "mean girl" behavior amongst them. They will learn about all that soon enough, no need to help it along.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male

Post by Chris Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:52 am

CatEyes10736 wrote:I'm not a fan of them. Moreso than the objectionable attire that some wear on stage, I don't think at a young age it should be instilled in little girls to compete against each other like they do, because all it leads to is pettiness, jealousy and "mean girl" behavior amongst them. They will learn about all that soon enough, no need to help it along.

Agreed and bump
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:02 am

Chris wrote:I wouldn't go so far as to say that anyone who enters a child into a beauty pageant should be locked up, but in general I do think that they are inappropriate for children. If a 13+ y/o teenager wants to compete, then fine; they are old enough to understand what the logistics of it is, and to possibly reconcile the negative attributes of it. A six year old, though, isn't.
    co-signs

Weird dressing up pre-pubescent girls as sexualized beings. Sorta seems perverted actually.
    Hyacinth Girl
    Hyacinth Girl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 70

Post by Hyacinth Girl Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:28 am

I think all pageants right up to Miss America should be gotten rid of. All the money spent on those foolish, self-serving events could be better placed elsewhere where there is a real need, like helping out those in need, like elderly on assisted living, children who go to bed hungry every night, etc. (And keep the aid and assistance in our own country and solve our own problems first, before constantly shovelling our funds off to foreign places.)
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:11 pm

Hyacinth Girl wrote:I think all pageants right up to Miss America should be gotten rid of. All the money spent on those foolish, self-serving events could be better placed elsewhere where there is a real need, like helping out those in need, like elderly on assisted living, children who go to bed hungry every night, etc. (And keep the aid and assistance in our own country and solve our own problems first, before constantly shovelling our funds off to foreign places.)

Here's a thought, there's been an ongoing discussion where I live about we can even't afford enough textbooks for all the students to have their own to take home at night and study, but damn if they don't put us through a hundred bake sales and car washes to get new uniforms for cheerleaders and new equipment for the sports teams. Now, nobody wants to cut the sports programming even though the purpose of school is an ACADEMIC one, but if they took all the money that was blown on these pageants they'd probably be able to supply every school with enough equipment for everyone and then some.
    Hyacinth Girl
    Hyacinth Girl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 70

Post by Hyacinth Girl Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:36 pm

Supernova wrote:
    Hyacinth Girl wrote:I think all pageants right up to Miss America should be gotten rid of. All the money spent on those foolish, self-serving events could be better placed elsewhere where there is a real need, like helping out those in need, like elderly on assisted living, children who go to bed hungry every night, etc. (And keep the aid and assistance in our own country and solve our own problems first, before constantly shovelling our funds off to foreign places.)

Here's a thought, there's been an ongoing discussion where I live about we can even't afford enough textbooks for all the students to have their own to take home at night and study, but damn if they don't put us through a hundred bake sales and car washes to get new uniforms for cheerleaders and new equipment for the sports teams. Now, nobody wants to cut the sports programming even though the purpose of school is an ACADEMIC one, but if they took all the money that was blown on these pageants they'd probably be able to supply every school with enough equipment for everyone and then some.

Indeed it would! But sometimes, too, the bake sales and car washes are good things in the way of teaching the kids that most things in life need to be worked for, and you get in return what you give. A fundraiser that provides a service like the car wash, I've never had a problem with, but it's the ones that nab you by making you sell rolls of wrapping paper that cost $10 apiece or other junk that no one really needs, are a waste of time.

There, too, I hate it when I see kids outside of grocery stores panhandling and begging money off patrons to fund their activities, clubs, what have you and the parents are standing right there with them. I either do one of two things:

1. Say, "I'll donate on the way out" then go out the other door and when they swarm me over there, I say "I gave at the other door on the way in."

2. If they're really aggressive, I'll say "No, I'm sorry, but I have my own child's activities to fund and provide for."

I may come off as a jerk, but I think there should be rules of etiquette for fundraising, but to get back to the premise of this thread, yeah, ditch the pageants and no one will have to fundraise anymore with the inflow of newly-diverted cash.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:32 pm

Well, I participated in a few beauty pageants when I was younger. I think it depends on the pageants. The ones I participated in, it was basically for some church or community service function that raised money for whatever. I was like 5 and 6. There is nothing wrong with a little friendly competition. Beauty pageants really only become a problem when overzealous and psychotic mothers are involved. Gives them a bad reputation.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 1:21 am