CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

4 posters

Bully MPAA Rating Dropped to PG-13

Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Bully MPAA Rating Dropped to PG-13 Empty Bully MPAA Rating Dropped to PG-13

Post by Shale Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:55 am

I just checked the local movie listings to see what is showing today. That is when I noticed Bully is rated PG-13.

Originally the MPAA rated this movie R because of the use of the word 'fuck,' which meant only 17-year-old kids could see it without parental accompaniment. (Like 13-year-old kids don't hear fuck more than once in a day) blank stare @ you

The consensus was that the MPAA was full of fucking shit for not changing the rating so the necessary audience, young teens, could see this movie. Celebrities, movie critics and thousands of us who signed petitions apparently forced the MPAA to change the rating. Actually, there was much talk about the hypocrisy of those bureaucrats and the relevance of the whole rating system, so they likely acted on self-preservation.

Anyhow, it looks like a depressing movie that does not personally impact me (unless I happen to be collateral when some bullied kid finally goes on a shooting spree, which is a more constructive way to suicide) But, I may go see it.

‘Bully’ Film Rating Lowered to PG-13 After Public Pressure

ABC News’ Lauren Effron and Jenna Millman report:
    Apr 6, 2012

The producers of “Bully,” a documentary on the bullying crisis in U.S. schools, claimed what they called a “huge victory” today when the Motion Picture Association of America agreed to lower the film’s rating from R to the less-restrictive PG-13, making it easier for younger audiences to see it.

“Bully” director Lee Hirsch successfully negotiated with the MPAA to keep in a key scene that showed 15-year-old Alex Libby getting viciously harassed on a school bus provided Hirsch remove three ”F-word” references.

“I am excited that kids my age can easily go see the movie now that we have a PG-13 rating,” Libby told “Nightline” in an exclusive interview today. “I hope everyone who’s ever been bullied watches this and knows they’re not alone, and that they can stand up for themselves like I do now.”

The MPAA originally ruled to have “Bully,” a movie about five American students who were horrendously bullied at school, including two students whose tormenting ended in their suicides, rated R, citing the bus scene with Libby and the ”F-word” references as justification for the rating.

The original ruling prompted the aggressive campaign by the Weinstein Co., which is releasing “Bully,” to lower the R rating to PG-13. A petition on the website Change.org demanding that the MPAA remove the R rating received more than 500,000 signatures. Many signers believed it was important that those under the age of 17, who are barred from viewing R-rated movies without an accompanying adult, see “Bully” and discuss its message. A number of prominent TV and film personalities, including Anderson Cooper, Meryl Streep, Ellen DeGeneres and Johnny Depp, threw their support behind the campaign to remove the film’s R rating.

Faced with enormous public pressure, the MPAA declared the film “Unrated” last week before changing it to “PG 13″.

“Bully” opened in New York and Los Angeles on March 30 to a strong $23,000 per screen average box-office returns, Reuters reported. The new PG-13 rating comes just in time, as the film is slated for wide release on April 13.

ABC News had first followed director Lee Hirsch while he was still making “Bully” in 2010, and spent time with the Long family a year after their son Tyler killed himself. Tina and David Long helped lead the charge against bullying, and the film recounts their efforts.

CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Bully MPAA Rating Dropped to PG-13 Empty Re: Bully MPAA Rating Dropped to PG-13

Post by CeCe Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:10 am

Glad it was lowered. The R rating defeated the purpose. Even though their hand flapping over a fucking word is absurd at least the kids who need to see it will be able to now. Glad the change.org petition & the outcry did some good. I rarely bother with petitions but this is one of a handful I've signed as a matter of principle.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:33 am

They should come to my neighborhood and hear all the 10-13 year olds using the word "Fuck" in every other sentence out of their filthy little mouths.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:31 am

I think the entire controversy was a bit dumb to begin with. The kids could still see the movie with an adult, which would probably be smarter anyway since it'd be a conversation starter. I doubt many kids will just voluntarily see it alone and if they do, they may not talk much about it. So the ratings change just feels kinda meaningless. The entire controversy, IMO, was just a publicity stunt.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 9:02 am