CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+4
Suzi
wants2laugh
Shale
RedBedroom
8 posters

"I have a friend that..." or "I have an online friend that..."

RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

"I have a friend that..." or "I have an online friend that..." Empty "I have a friend that..." or "I have an online friend that..."

Post by RedBedroom Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:41 am

Do you ever bring up your online associations in real life? Or do you refer to your online friends as just "friends," sans explanation?

Usually, I make the distinction just because it seems more accurate.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

"I have a friend that..." or "I have an online friend that..." Empty Re: "I have a friend that..." or "I have an online friend that..."

Post by Shale Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:46 am

I differentiate online friends because that is what they are. Besides, it explains why my friend is matter-of-fact in England, Wales or Australia.

I have a young friend from MySpace, now on Facebook that I've communicated with for years. I feel like he is family and my co-workers know about him and some of his problems he has worked thru over the years.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

"I have a friend that..." or "I have an online friend that..." Empty Re: "I have a friend that..." or "I have an online friend that..."

Post by wants2laugh Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:54 am

i dont differeniate.... no one else's business how i know any of you... right?
    Suzi
    Suzi
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 85

Post by Suzi Sat Apr 28, 2012 12:20 pm

I actually have one friend online we correspond regularly. But when I refer to her to others I simply say a friend. I would be embarrassed to preface it with "online". I am extremely careful about online friend ships even that one doesn't know my last name. Can't say you can't teach an old dog new tricks, I learned very quickly about online friendships!
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:52 pm

I keep my online friends to myself, not that I am embarrassed or anything I just keep this part of me separate, its my own little world and I don't want my IRL friends invading.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:03 pm

Tony Marino wrote:I keep my online friends to myself, not that I am embarrassed or anything I just keep this part of me separate, its my own little world and I don't want my IRL friends invading.

I feel the same way Tony. I would not like an IRL friend on a general message board I participate in. I tell a lot of stories here about people I know! I would hate for anyone to read some of the stuff I post. Even if it isn't about them, they would still wonder and maybe ask me questions about it.

That would bug me because I don't even like talking about Facebook to friends in person. I despise when someone sees something on my FB then calls or texts me about it.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:05 pm

RedBedroom wrote:

I feel the same way Tony. I would not like an IRL friend on a general message board I participate in. I tell a lot of stories here about people I know! I would hate for anyone to read some of the stuff I post. Even if it isn't about them, they would still wonder and maybe ask me questions about it.

That would bug me because I don't even like talking about Facebook to friends in person. I despise when someone sees something on my FB then calls or texts me about it.

Thats why I don't have a FB page and why I don't tell anyone about my online friends, I just don't want them asking me a hundred questions. Besides that one of them might steal you away from me big grin
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:15 pm

I admit my nosey little self loves keeping tabs on people via FB. But I rarely post any status updates because there was one incident that really caused a problem with my guy. I had his brother's gf on my friends list and she read a status update and by the time she told her boyfriend, and then he called my guy, it was really a mess. The facts, of course, had changed.

My guy was supposed to put new windows in for my dad. But work blew up and week after week we just couldn't make the trip to get the windows done. Meanwhile, every week, I had a bunch of friends asking if we are coming. So, on a Thursday, I said, "ugh, another week we won't be up North to put in Dad's new windows." I figured that would stop any messages that weekend about if we were coming. So, by the time the story reached my guy, he was told I was bashing him on Facebook for leaving my dad without any windows at all in his kitchen (it was November).
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:25 pm

No and no.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:54 am

No I don't say friends. And if I do bring up something I read on here, I usually just say "I read online that..."
    FireIce918
    FireIce918
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Female
    Rep : 8

Post by FireIce918 Thu May 03, 2012 1:15 am

I would just say, "I know somebody that...". And that's if I talk to that person on a regular basis, although in the last few years that has dwindled significantly.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:01 pm