CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+4
wants2laugh
Nystyle709
Tony Marino
Marc™
8 posters

Should College Be Free?

Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Should College Be Free? Empty Should College Be Free?

Post by Marc™ Wed May 09, 2012 1:26 pm

Do you think college should be free to anyone who wants to go....or is it something that everyone interested should be willing to pay for?
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Should College Be Free? Empty Re: Should College Be Free?

Post by Tony Marino Wed May 09, 2012 1:28 pm

Marc™ wrote:Do you think college should be free to anyone who wants to go....or is it something that everyone interested should be willing to pay for?

Yes I think it should be free to anyone that wants to go. Maybe just pay for your books.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Wed May 09, 2012 3:23 pm

It should be Damn near free. Grad school is the one I can see you shelling out big bucks for.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Wed May 09, 2012 3:57 pm

i honestly believe that 4yrs colleges should be free. All we have to do is cut the forgeign aid we give out, the welfare that we give to former Presidents, and prevent politicians such as mccain from collecting his va disability, plus social securty, and his pension all at once!

Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Thu May 10, 2012 3:56 am

That would be great if it were free.
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 43

Post by Bluesmama Thu May 10, 2012 4:03 am

Nah, I don't think it should be free, but it should be a fraction of the stratospheric costs they are now. Let tuition pay for property taxes (which I don't think they should pay), school staff, and supplies/equipment (to some extent) and that's it.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Thu May 10, 2012 10:16 am

It cannot possibly be free. SOMEBODY will have to pay for it. I know people like to think that if we make it free, rich people will end up paying for it. Not gonna happen. The only thing making it free will do is make all of us pay for it (regardless of whether or not we use the college), and also make the college education quality start matching those of public school. Is college supposed to be just an extension of High School?

Also, we know that colleges will have to teach very specific curriculum if they are going to get the money to give students free admission. So discrimination will be practiced.

Are college costs too high? HELL YEAH! WHY? Because colleges no longer have to earn business. We've turned a privilege into a right and anytime we attempt to do that, we screw it up. Government aid has driven up the cost of college like crazy. Everytime we pour more money into education, the quality of education seems to go DOWN! Throwing money at it is not the problem.

So NO! College SHOULD not be free, because it CAN not be free. And heck, why make it free? I've seen students drop classes just because they apparently got bored. They don't do the work. They come in late if the teacher allows it. They basically are just enjoying free rides into college and not really taking it seriously. And we want to give these students all of this for FREE? Maybe if they had to pay for it, they'd take it a bit more seriously. If we want college costs to go down, we have to start making it where the college has to work for OUR business. They gotta give me a reason to come to them. But that's never gonna happen because we've turned college into some right. We've turned going and listening to some teacher yammer on about Buddhism for 3 hours into qualifications for jobs with no connection to the subject. WE have driven college costs up. It's our fault. Making college free would 100% destroy college.
    Impact
    Impact
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 75

Post by Impact Thu May 10, 2012 10:07 pm

Forgiveness Man wrote:It cannot possibly be free. SOMEBODY will have to pay for it. I know people like to think that if we make it free, rich people will end up paying for it. Not gonna happen. The only thing making it free will do is make all of us pay for it (regardless of whether or not we use the college), and also make the college education quality start matching those of public school. Is college supposed to be just an extension of High School?

Also, we know that colleges will have to teach very specific curriculum if they are going to get the money to give students free admission. So discrimination will be practiced.

Are college costs too high? HELL YEAH! WHY? Because colleges no longer have to earn business. We've turned a privilege into a right and anytime we attempt to do that, we screw it up. Government aid has driven up the cost of college like crazy. Everytime we pour more money into education, the quality of education seems to go DOWN! Throwing money at it is not the problem.

So NO! College SHOULD not be free, because it CAN not be free. And heck, why make it free? I've seen students drop classes just because they apparently got bored. They don't do the work. They come in late if the teacher allows it. They basically are just enjoying free rides into college and not really taking it seriously. And we want to give these students all of this for FREE? Maybe if they had to pay for it, they'd take it a bit more seriously. If we want college costs to go down, we have to start making it where the college has to work for OUR business. They gotta give me a reason to come to them. But that's never gonna happen because we've turned college into some right. We've turned going and listening to some teacher yammer on about Buddhism for 3 hours into qualifications for jobs with no connection to the subject. WE have driven college costs up. It's our fault. Making college free would 100% destroy college.

I actually agree. I'm all for reducing tuition fees, but free college would put the institution out of business because people too easily drop in and out.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 12:25 pm