CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+9
Suzi
CeCe
Forgiveness Man
Marc™
Shale
Supernova
Alan Smithee
RedBedroom
Impact
13 posters

Obama's support of same-sex marriage.

Impact
    Impact
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 75

Obama's support of same-sex marriage. Empty Obama's support of same-sex marriage.

Post by Impact Thu May 10, 2012 2:10 pm

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/story/2012-05-09/obama-gay-marriage-election/54866752/1

Do you think Obama's support of same sex marriage will help or hinder his campaign and opportunity for reelection come November. The opinion seems to be split at CNN. FOX news conducted a poll and not surprisingly, over 90% of voters said it would.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Obama's support of same-sex marriage. Empty Re: Obama's support of same-sex marriage.

Post by RedBedroom Thu May 10, 2012 2:43 pm

I don't know...I think it will help but only slightly. I could be way off base, but I think people are thinking, "It's about damn time," and not exactly singing his praises because gay marriage should have been made legal long, long ago. So Obama speaking in favor of it now is too delayed for my liking. But at least he finally did.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Obama's support of same-sex marriage. Empty Re: Obama's support of same-sex marriage.

Post by Alan Smithee Thu May 10, 2012 2:44 pm

I don't know if it will tip the scales either way with the undecided. Same for people who've already made up their minds that they're going to vote for or against him. I'm not saying no one will be influenced but I don't think the number will be significant. Consider the source of the poll.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Thu May 10, 2012 2:49 pm

I think that's the only reason why he did it, it's 6 months away from the election, he needs to get in good with the voters, why else would he wait until now to speak out on it?
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Thu May 10, 2012 2:57 pm

RedBedroom wrote:I don't know...I think it will help but only slightly. I could be way off base, but I think people are thinking, "It's about damn time," and not exactly singing his praises because gay marriage should have been made legal long, long ago. So Obama speaking in favor of it now is too delayed for my liking. But at least he finally did.
    co-signs

I might add that it is basically his opinion as there is not much he can do about it except now maybe sway others' opinions. It will take the U.S. Supreme Court to rule that it violates the 14th Amendment and is in fact UNCONSTITUTIONAL. Like the Loving Vs. Virginia ruling, that would get rid of DOMA and all those discriminatory laws from the Southern & Western Backwater states.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Thu May 10, 2012 2:59 pm

Supernova wrote:... why else would he wait until now to speak out on it?

Because his Veep Joe Biden opened his mouth last week and said he endorsed gay marriage, which up to that point went against the "White House" stance.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Thu May 10, 2012 3:09 pm

It may have earned him some points with some and lost him some with others, but I don't think it's gonna make that much a difference ultimately. Everybody already knew he was very pro-gay....and at this point most people know who they're voting for.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Thu May 10, 2012 3:38 pm

Obama is for same-sex marriage? Biggest no **** moment of the year! lol Contrary to the big deal the media has made about this (in a likely effort to distract from the issues that will really matter in November), it's not gonna make much of a difference. Pro-SSM already are behind him (or at least they should have been lol) so this just comes off as Obama feeling insecure of the support of even his core base.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Thu May 10, 2012 4:28 pm

Shale wrote:

I might add that it is basically his opinion as there is not much he can do about it except now maybe sway others' opinions. It will take the U.S. Supreme Court to rule that it violates the 14th Amendment and is in fact UNCONSTITUTIONAL. Like the Loving Vs. Virginia ruling, that would get rid of DOMA and all those discriminatory laws from the Southern & Western Backwater states.

co-signs
    Suzi
    Suzi
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 85

Post by Suzi Thu May 10, 2012 7:59 pm

Those people who are against same sex marriage aren't voting for Obama anyway.
    As for the Extreme court, they will vote (if it comes to it) 5 to 4 against it. About all you can do is hope one of the 5 judges dies.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Thu May 10, 2012 8:35 pm

I don't think it'll help. Whether or not it will hurt him remains to be seen. I say that because, from what I recall, the gay marriage debate was one of the things that helped get Bush a second term in '04.

But I agree with Marc, everyone already knew Obama was gay-friendly, but wasn't trying to alienate people by declaring a stance on this issue. I expected him to become more outspoken in his advocacy during his second term (when he couldn't suffer any repercussions for it); but apparently Biden's comments last week forced Obama to affirm his position earlier than he'd planned.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Thu May 10, 2012 9:47 pm

Chris wrote:I don't think it'll help. Whether or not it will hurt him remains to be seen. I say that because, from what I recall, the gay marriage debate was one of the things that helped get Bush a second term in '04.

But I agree with Marc, everyone already knew Obama was gay-friendly, but wasn't trying to alienate people by declaring a stance on this issue. I expected him to become more outspoken in his advocacy during his second term (when he couldn't suffer any repercussions for it); but apparently Biden's comments last week forced Obama to affirm his position earlier than he'd planned.

Obama's support of same-sex marriage. 35166

He should've kept his mouth shut for the most part and I wished he hadn't said anything. But yeah, in retrospect....the people against it isn't going to vote for him anyway and the people who advocate it are. It was an unnecessary gamble IMO. I'd be slapping the shit out of Biden.
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Fri May 11, 2012 12:11 am

Now wasn't the right time for him to make this pronouncement. Even though over 50% of Americans support it in polls, the majority of states where it has come up for a vote have rejected it. What that means is most people do not care if LGBT get married somewhere else, but not in their backyard. A major blunder of inerpretation on his part; it might strenghten him in the northeast and west coast, but it will hurt him in the midwest and south. The more conservative-leaning democrats may very well turn against him and they tend to outnumber outright liberals.
    CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

Post by CatEyes10736 Fri May 11, 2012 5:23 pm

I'm glad he said it. He gets the distinction of being the first president in history to endorse marriage equality. It's a credit to him IMO.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Sun May 13, 2012 12:18 pm

Nhaiyel wrote:Now wasn't the right time for him to make this pronouncement. Even though over 50% of Americans support it in polls, the majority of states where it has come up for a vote have rejected it. What that means is most people do not care if LGBT get married somewhere else, but not in their backyard. A major blunder of inerpretation on his part; it might strenghten him in the northeast and west coast, but it will hurt him in the midwest and south. The more conservative-leaning democrats may very well turn against him and they tend to outnumber outright liberals.

For the most part.

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 1:30 am