CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+6
Nystyle709
Alan Smithee
Cheaps
Shale
Supernova
Tony Marino
10 posters

Do accents hinder?

Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Do accents hinder? Empty Do accents hinder?

Post by Tony Marino Tue May 22, 2012 4:10 pm

Does an accent (Southern, Northern, English, etc.) impede the way you are perceived socially?
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Do accents hinder? Empty Re: Do accents hinder?

Post by Supernova Tue May 22, 2012 4:37 pm

Other than everybody asking if I'm from the south, no.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Tue May 22, 2012 6:50 pm

I love the variations on English that different accents & dialects bring (as long as I can understand what is being said). Living in Miami we have ppl from all over the world with myriad accents. Especially love the Caribbean Island English accent heard around here.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Tue May 22, 2012 7:42 pm

??? I don't think I do have an accent.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Tue May 22, 2012 7:52 pm

Cheaps wrote:??? I don't think I do have an accent.

Oh yeah!

Wink
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Tue May 22, 2012 8:19 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:

Oh yeah!

Wink

Yup! big grin I talk normal, everyone else has an accent. CHEAPS
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Tue May 22, 2012 9:16 pm

Personally, I haven't run into any problems being judged by my accent...negatively or otherwise.....but I do think it can happen for others.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Tue May 22, 2012 10:05 pm

People should be judged by the content of what they say not on the voice they say it in but of course that isn't always true in real life. However some accents are just out of place. Ah'nold Schwarzenegger as an American commando or spy doesn't work. As the Terminator or Conan, fine.
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 127

Post by captainbryce Tue May 22, 2012 10:23 pm

Me personally, not really. Others? It depends on the specific accent in question, where the person is at the time, how they are acting and what they are saying. There are many variables and your accent can alter the way you are perceived positively or negatively based on those variables.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Tue May 22, 2012 10:32 pm

By and large, I wouldn't think so. If you speak (and behave) in a stereotypically cliche way, then perhaps. I think the way, or in how proper/clear, you speak overall is more of a determining factor in how you're judged.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Wed May 23, 2012 1:57 am

i find it funny that when i watch a tv show, i can tell if it was filmed "east coast" or on the "west coast". east coast people (or maybe northeast, cause southerners draw out words more) speak very quickly.

i try not to judge people on the accent--- HOWEVER--- i have more respect for those who have accents who try to slow down enough so that i can understand them. we have many foreigners in the post office, and many are supervisors--- BAD IDEA! there is one woman who speaks so quickly with such a thick accent that even those native to her country do not understand her--- and they say that she doesnt speak her native language that well either! lol

BUT i also admit that i can be petty and superficial... so i do sometimes find an english accent to be attractive and a turn on--- oh well!
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Thu May 24, 2012 1:30 pm

Given the subject matter, the accent doesn't surprise me. Not saying everyone who drawls "I'm agin it" is like this but Shrugs (Oh well…)
    Hyacinth Girl
    Hyacinth Girl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 70

Post by Hyacinth Girl Thu May 24, 2012 2:16 pm

One of the girls on my shift at work is Korean, but was raised in Georgia, since she was a little kid. She has a very thick drawl--the whole Southern Belle thing, and it's funny as hell to listen to her, because you don't expect that sort of accent out of an Asian woman, usually. And in the immortal words of Jerry Seinfeld: "Not that there's anything wrong with that. .. "
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by wants2laugh Thu May 24, 2012 8:42 pm

Hyacinth Girl wrote:One of the girls on my shift at work is Korean, but was raised in Georgia, since she was a little kid. She has a very thick drawl--the whole Southern Belle thing, and it's funny as hell to listen to her, because you don't expect that sort of accent out of an Asian woman, usually. And in the immortal words of Jerry Seinfeld: "Not that there's anything wrong with that. .. "

we have a nigerian supervisor who has been in the US for 20yrs and never became a citizen (i dont agree with this practice--its a federal building dammit). Then we had a temp employee named Patel who was born in india, but been in the states since he was 2yrs old. He speaks with a very thick philadelphia accent-- its kinda funny to see it since you wouldnt in your head put the two together.

So one day the nigerian says to the indian-american with a NJ attitude:

"You are indian so i can assume the following things: You are hindu and worship cows. You practice a strict diet. and you hate black people--- are we going to have a problem?"

Patel looked at him and responded with the NJ attitude, "No, we ain't gonna have no problem. I dont hate blacks, I just hate assholes. Are we gonna have a problem?"

Honest to god true story! lol
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Thu May 24, 2012 8:53 pm

wants2laugh wrote: we have a nigerian supervisor who has been in the US for 20yrs and never became a citizen (i dont agree with this practice--its a federal building dammit).

WTF! Shocked

Oh, I guess it is no longer a part of the US gov't. Yet we don't see it as a private interprise - it is somehow protected from competition by U.S. law.

There was a time I actually got a little preference in gov't jobs because I was a veteran. Even those not gov't but gov't supported. Guess we've outsourced everything.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by wants2laugh Thu May 24, 2012 9:22 pm

Shale wrote:

WTF! Shocked

Oh, I guess it is no longer a part of the US gov't. Yet we don't see it as a private interprise - it is somehow protected from competition by U.S. law.

There was a time I actually got a little preference in gov't jobs because I was a veteran. Even those not gov't but gov't supported. Guess we've outsourced everything.

You would still get vet preference on the test, and when bidding on a job. And we dont take any govt taxpayer money... we are self supporting. BUT the govt did this whole "Diversification for a better tomorrow" campaign a few years back. So they were actually sending emails suggesting the promotion of people based SOLELY on ethnicity! They made up quotas and everything--- is ridiculous.. if you go down the seniority list with the hiring dates, you will see them hire: one white man, one black man, three white females, three black females, one filipino male, one filipino female, one asian male, one asian female, one hispanic male, one hispanic female... then they start over!!! I kid you not! they passed over my brother's transfer INTO our building to higher based on ethnicity claiming that there was not a white guy slot open!!! I threatened to take it to the media!

However, with regard to the Nigerian... he was the worst supervisor we EVER had! After 9/11 when the whole country was waving the flag around (and especially our building which ACTUALLY had anthrax in it)... this total A$$ho!e had the nerve to tell the vietnam vets that there were "too many flags in the building" and told them to take the flags off of their forklifts!!! THAT did not go over well... most of them saw very heavy action, we have many who are 100% disabled with PTSD, and this flag hating "supervisor" who has no right comes in and tells us that in a RED WHITE AND BLUE building there are too many flags? that they fought, shed blood for, lost friends and family memebers over!!!

Let's just say that the guy only lasted 8months in our building... they hunted down this address by searching the mail for it... and then they called homeland security accusing him of being a terrorist trying to infiltrate the mail system--- could have been true... who knows.

As far as the competition thing... no one else delivers where we do... they do not go to the bottom of the canyons on donkeys, nor fly planes into the recesses of Alaska, UPS/Fedex will not take speed boats thru the alligator swamps of louisianna... when i went to alaska, and saw how the mailmen deliver UP the mountains that you cannot drive up... i was dumbfounded--- was glad i wasnt there! and they get the same amount of money as someone delivering in a regular suburb. we dont get COLA the same way the rest of the govt does.. so i would make the same amount in NYC as i would in the mountains of west virgina

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 5:05 am