CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+3
captainbryce
Nystyle709
Jason B.
7 posters

States Without Accents

Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

States Without Accents Empty States Without Accents

Post by Jason B. Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:31 pm

What states have no speaking accents? I know Californians tend to not have one. Are there any others that are have people who you couldn't tell where they were from?
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

States Without Accents Empty Re: States Without Accents

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:50 pm

New York?

Smile
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 127

Post by captainbryce Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:46 am

JB wrote:What states have no speaking accents? I know Californians tend to not have one. Are there any others that are have people who you couldn't tell where they were from?
    Not only do Californians have accents, but they have different regional accents that are distinguishable to other Californians. Los Angelenos (valley talk) talk different from people in the Bay Area (hippie talk) who talk different from people from Bakersfield (country talk).

Technically, EVERYONE has an accent. Your accent is simply "the way you talk". It's impossible to not have an accent unless you are speaking through sign language.

And for the person who suggested that "New York" (of all places) has no accent, whudeva pal, jus fuhgeddaboutit! "Nu Yawk" probably has THE MOST accents found in one state than any other state in the US. Almost every region and ethnicity in NY has a different accent. You know what I'm tawkin bout! So go gedda cup a cawfee and re-think that one aight son! Badda bing, badda boom!

Talking like a New Yorker!

In a New York accent, the "r" at the end of a word is almost never pronounced. The "g" at the end of a word isn't pronounced either. So "going" is pronounced "goin'" and "here" sounds like "hea". The "th" sound sounds something between "d" and "th", but if you're unsure, speak with the "d" sound. Also there are cases where the "R" is pronounced more so than in non-New York speak. When there is an R (or 2 R's) in between syllables, such as the name "Carrie", it is pronounced CA (like cat) then REE. "Kerry", on the other hand, is KEH-(like pet)REE. Most other places pronounce both names the same, CARE EE

Know that many of the words that have the "o" sound (like in coffee, dog, talk) are pronounced with an "aw" sound, so the word dog, for example, would sound like "dawg", as well as "coffee." The "aw" sound tends to replace the "o" in all words spoken with a thick New York accent. Have an attitude. Speaking like a New Yorker is less about what you say, and more about how you say it. New Yorkers are known for being direct, opinionated and confident. They are also known for talking a lot, and talking loudly.

Last edited by captainbryce on Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:55 am; edited 1 time in total
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:51 am

[quote="captainbryce"]
    I was being facetious. States Without Accents 404783
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 127

Post by captainbryce Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:57 am

Nystyle709 wrote:I was being facetious
    Okay point taken, but I still think my "updated" response was funny and since someone might have taken it seriously I'm going to leave my response up, lol. I'm pretty sure nobody in this universe actually thinks that New York is accentless (unless they are deaf).
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:37 pm

Nebraska?
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:48 am

California people do indeed have an accent, remember Valley Girl? Hey New Yorkers don't have accents we speak perfectly! I want a glass of Warter not Wahter. I will give you a Cawl sometime not I will give you a coll sometime. I think you get what I mean.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:50 am

People where I come from have no accent. We talk perfectly normal. Our talking is the default way to talk; it's why all the non-accent stars on TV talk the same way. Razz FORGIVENESS MAN *ducks

Actually, the people from down town got an accent. But the suburban areas have at most, a few syllables in a slight accent. I think strictly speaking everyone's got an accent to a point. Some just have it less than others, like my area. Razz
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:53 am

Forgiveness_Man wrote:People where I come from have no accent. We talk perfectly normal. Our talking is the default way to talk; it's why all the non-accent stars on TV talk the same way. Razz States Without Accents 147467 *ducks

Actually, the people from down town got an accent. But the suburban areas have at most, a few syllables in a slight accent. I think strictly speaking everyone's got an accent to a point. Some just have it less than others, like my area. Razz

Oh?? Are you from Xanadu?
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:54 am

Tony Marino wrote:

Oh?? Are you from Xanadu?
    Nope! big grin
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:46 pm

They say every state has an accent or some sort of regional dialect. But I think there are some (California, Oregon, Washington, Colorado) where its citizens are vocally ambiguous, to the point where you couldn't really pinpoint where in the US they were from.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:25 pm