CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+3
CeCe
Alan Smithee
GrayWolf
7 posters

ATHEISTS: Do you ever get scared of the Fact that you might be wrong about God?

GrayWolf
    GrayWolf
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 36

ATHEISTS: Do you ever get scared of the Fact that you might be wrong about God?  Empty ATHEISTS: Do you ever get scared of the Fact that you might be wrong about God?

Post by GrayWolf Wed May 23, 2012 10:14 pm

If you're atheist do you ever wonder about if you could be wrong about the nonexistence of the man in the sky?
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

ATHEISTS: Do you ever get scared of the Fact that you might be wrong about God?  Empty Re: ATHEISTS: Do you ever get scared of the Fact that you might be wrong about God?

Post by Alan Smithee Wed May 23, 2012 10:42 pm

Nope
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

ATHEISTS: Do you ever get scared of the Fact that you might be wrong about God?  Empty Re: ATHEISTS: Do you ever get scared of the Fact that you might be wrong about God?

Post by CeCe Wed May 23, 2012 10:44 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:Nope

co-signs
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Thu May 24, 2012 12:03 am

Definitely no "man in the sky" (Unless ur talking about Zeus - now he's real)

I am leaning strongly toward atheism, tho I guess I am still an agnostic - so I don't worry about being wrong in my sense of cosmic consciousness. It is all unfolding as it should.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Thu May 24, 2012 12:52 am

Shale wrote:

I am leaning strongly toward atheism, tho I guess I am still an agnostic - so I don't worry about being wrong in my sense of cosmic consciousness.

Ditto. I just didn't feel like making the distinction.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Thu May 24, 2012 2:43 am

well... we can say that now. but there are no athiests in foxholes! when u are close to death, the realization could possibly hit that there is something more
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Thu May 24, 2012 7:58 am

Not for everybody.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Thu May 24, 2012 8:57 am

wants2laugh wrote:well... we can say that now. but there are no athiests in foxholes! when u are close to death, the realization could possibly hit that there is something more

That's actually a myth repeated ad nauseam by christians. But not true. Here are some of those atheists that have been in foxholes.

http://www.militaryatheists.org/expaif.html

Matthew Chatterton (who maintains a site on the subject of atheism) made an excellent point about this:

There are no atheists in foxholes

This one is really insulting. The notion that I would just changed my mind and pray to God if I thought I was about to die is an accusation of cowardice. If I were in a foxhole, what I would do is try to find a way out of that mess. I know, all too well, the track record of prayer. I would see it as only a way to kill time before I die. The reason why we're atheists is because we find the notion of a god to be implausible and unsubstantiated. We find god incredulous. Why would we pray to YOUR god anyways? Why wouldn't we pray to Vishnu or Thor? There are, in fact, plenty of atheists in foxholes; they've even spoken out.

http://957chatterton.blogspot.com/2012/05/top-ten-myths-about-atheists.html
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Thu May 24, 2012 9:13 am

CeCe wrote: That's actually a myth repeated ad nauseam by christians. But not true. Here are some of those atheists that have been in foxholes.
    Thanx for the link CC.

I've never been in a foxhole, never saw combat (worked in an office) and the closest I've come to fighting while in the Air Force was with this so-called 'christian' who found out I did not believe in his god and threatened to put out my Promethean lights. Blue Cool

I was quite open about not having a religion as reflected on my dog tags:

ATHEISTS: Do you ever get scared of the Fact that you might be wrong about God?  1967USAFRobDogTagWebSml

When I was a teen and doing all sorts of craft things I smoothed the side of a coin and engraved with a steel needle "I am an Atheist - Call a Doctor"

This was a mockery of the Catholic medallions of the day that said "I am Catholic - Call a Priest"
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Thu May 24, 2012 9:26 am

Anytime Shale Wink Matthew's site is really good too. If you're on twitter he's @957Chatterton
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Thu May 24, 2012 11:32 am

I'm not an atheist, but I don't think not believing in God means you're automatically right. Just like athiests contend that He can't be "proven", they can't prove that He doesn't exist either.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Thu May 24, 2012 11:43 am

Nystyle709 wrote:I'm not an atheist, but I don't think not believing in God means you're automatically right. Just like athiests contend that He can't be "proven", they can't prove that He doesn't exist either.

Thing is, it works both ways. The "believers" certainly aren't automatically right either. But most people who are atheist or agnostic aren't trying to shut down the churches or block the rights of the religious. They just want the religious to stop interfering with their right to live a life in peace without religious dogma being turned into law.
    Suzi
    Suzi
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 85

Post by Suzi Thu May 24, 2012 12:16 pm

No, not worried at all.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Thu May 24, 2012 9:35 pm

FUNNY-- he said "if i WERE in a foxhole" NOT - "when i was in combat"

i know i know... go to the site there are plenty...but that was the message you selected! Razz LOL
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Thu May 24, 2012 9:45 pm

CeCe wrote:

Thing is, it works both ways. The "believers" certainly aren't automatically right either. But most people who are atheist or agnostic aren't trying to shut down the churches or block the rights of the religious. They just want the religious to stop interfering with their right to live a life in peace without religious dogma being turned into law.

I didn't say that they were automatically right. Quite frankly, I think it's a bit disturbing to go through life not believing in anything, but that's just me. I'm all for science and hard facts the majority of the time...but there are some things that can't be reasoned or explained and I can acknowledge that. The problem is no balance. Most atheists I've witnessed complain about the lamest shit. "One nation under God" is such a detriment to have on currency or in reciting the Pledge of Allegiance, but if you're such an atheist and agnostic...those words shouldn't affect you.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Thu May 24, 2012 9:50 pm

"There is no conclusive evidence of life after death. But there is no evidence of any sort against it. Soon enough you will know. So why fret about it?"
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Thu May 24, 2012 10:00 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:"There is no conclusive evidence of life after death. But there is no evidence of any sort against it. Soon enough you will know. So why fret about it?"

co-signs What will be will be Shrugs (Oh well…)
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Thu May 24, 2012 10:02 pm

wants2laugh wrote:FUNNY-- he said "if i WERE in a foxhole" NOT - "when i was in combat"

i know i know... go to the site there are plenty...but that was the message you selected! Razz LOL

TWO different sites LOL

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 7:16 pm