CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+5
Forgiveness Man
Wadsworth
RedBedroom
Nystyle709
Chris
9 posters

Are you comfortable around Atheists?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Are you comfortable around Atheists? Empty Are you comfortable around Atheists?

Post by Chris Tue Sep 14, 2010 6:51 am

If you're a believer in the supreme being that is God, are you comfortable being around people who believe that there isn't a deity?

Would you consider Atheism a religion in and of itself?
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Are you comfortable around Atheists? Empty Re: Are you comfortable around Atheists?

Post by Nystyle709 Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:08 am

I'm on the fence as far as atheism being a religion. As far as being comfortable around one, I guess I would be. I believe in God but if you don't, well....that's you. Live your life they way you want to, as long as you're not doing evil.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Are you comfortable around Atheists? Empty Re: Are you comfortable around Atheists?

Post by RedBedroom Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:38 am

I am comfortable around Atheists. What I don't enjoy are some of those people who tout their theories without being asked.

Plus, I think that too many claim Atheism when they truly are not. They just feel that in the grand scheme of things, they got the short end of the stick and "how can there be a God when they are living paycheck to paycheck?"
    Wadsworth
    Wadsworth
    …is Significant.
    …is Significant.

Male
    Rep : 16

Post by Wadsworth Tue Sep 14, 2010 12:55 pm

Chris wrote:If you're a believer in the supreme being that is God, are you comfortable being around people who believe that there isn't a deity?

Not really. If they keep it to themselves then ok but I ain't trying to catch a lightening bolt cause you running your mouth while standing too close to me.

Would you consider Atheism a religion in and of itself?

Nah.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:40 pm

Yes I think atheism is a religion! xD

As for being comfortable around atheists, that's a loose question. I couldn't even say I'd be comfortable around "Christians" in general. It all depends on the person. If I was around somebody like Bill Maher, I would be as comfortable as I would a radical Christian fundamentalist probably, but if the atheist is somewhat down to earth, I wouldn't have a problem.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:10 pm

I'm comfortable around anyone who isn't militant about their beliefs. I've stated elsewhere that I consider myself an agnostic instead of any atheist because I think religious claims (is there a god?) are unknowable. I have more faith in the Big Bang Theory re the creation of the universe but did someone or something push a cosmic button to set it off? I dunno and I don't lose any sleep worrying about it.

As far as organized religon, however, just count me out. Do I believe that 4,000 - 5,000 years ago the one who may have pushed that button revealed herself (sorry, if there is a god, I hope he's a woman...that would be so cool) to a couple of members of an obscure desert tribe in a small corner of the cosmic speck we call Earth and told them, "You're my guys...I choose you. Now...to show you really love me, I want all you men to cut off the ends of your dicks. Oh, and don't eat that thing with the cloven hoofs and curly tail sqeeling over in that pile of shit." OK. As much as I love bacon that does sound like good advice.

This is probably going to rile some people but I think orgaized religion is one of the most destructive forces ever conceived by the mind of humankind. Not saying that you or other people who consider yourselves religious are evil or bad. On the contrary, I acknowledge that it can be a good thing but just like fire, it has to be used properly and with care. Far, far too often it has been used by it's various practitioners to violently settle the argument over who's god is the best.

I also deny the notion that atheists and agnostics aren't moral or less so than people who believe in god. I was raised with a good moral compass despite my doubts about A Supreme Being. I don't need the promise of some eternal reward or threat of eternal damnation to do the right thing.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:13 am

Just don't try and recruit into your belief of disbelief, and we'll be alright. I don't wanna hear your arguments against the existence of God....and I promise I won't try a recite a bible verse at you (not that I could, I'm really bad at Biblical education.)
    GrayWolf
    GrayWolf
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 36

Post by GrayWolf Wed Sep 15, 2010 2:27 am

I'm no less comfortable around Atheists as I am Christians.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:23 am

alan smithee wrote:I'm comfortable around anyone who isn't militant about their beliefs. I've stated elsewhere that I consider myself an agnostic instead of any atheist because I think religious claims (is there a god?) are unknowable. I have more faith in the Big Bang Theory re the creation of the universe but did someone or something push a cosmic button to set it off? I dunno and I don't lose any sleep worrying about it.

As far as organized religon, however, just count me out. Do I believe that 4,000 - 5,000 years ago the one who may have pushed that button revealed herself (sorry, if there is a god, I hope he's a woman...that would be so cool) to a couple of members of an obscure desert tribe in a small corner of the cosmic speck we call Earth and told them, "You're my guys...I choose you. Now...to show you really love me, I want all you men to cut off the ends of your dicks. Oh, and don't eat that thing with the cloven hoofs and curly tail sqeeling over in that pile of shit." OK. As much as I love bacon that does sound like good advice.

This is probably going to rile some people but I think orgaized religion is one of the most destructive forces ever conceived by the mind of humankind. Not saying that you or other people who consider yourselves religious are evil or bad. On the contrary, I acknowledge that it can be a good thing but just like fire, it has to be used properly and with care. Far, far too often it has been used by it's various practitioners to violently settle the argument over who's god is the best.

I also deny the notion that atheists and agnostics aren't moral or less so than people who believe in god. I was raised with a good moral compass despite my doubts about A Supreme Being. I don't need the promise of some eternal reward or threat of eternal damnation to do the right thing.

clapping clapping Could NOT have summarized this concept any better. 2000% co-signs
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:18 pm

Marc wrote:Just don't try and recruit into your belief of disbelief, and we'll be alright. I don't wanna hear your arguments against the existence of God....and I promise I won't try a recite a bible verse at you (not that I could, I'm really bad at Biblical education.)

Marc, there's no way I would try to talk you out of your faith. If it gives you comfort and peace of mind you're lucky to have it. And I don't mind if you recite bible verses. Won't bother me.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:46 pm

Never knew any personally, and online the majority of them seem like a bunch of trolls; taking over religion and spirituality boards to drown out any believers with nonstop messages about how God is a fairytale and Christians are idiots who terrorize their children and force them into believing, and if you don't say absolutely praising things about these kinds of posters, then YOU'RE the troll who has no business there even though YOU'RE the one with any beliefs. And they like to say THEY'RE the open minded ones.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 6:01 am