CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+3
CeCe
Shale
Supernova
7 posters

Chernobyl Diaries (2012)

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Chernobyl Diaries (2012) Empty Chernobyl Diaries (2012)

Post by Supernova Fri May 25, 2012 2:21 am

Chernobyl Diaries (2012) Chernobyl-diaries-poster

Is anybody planning to see this movie?

It seems to be gaining a lot of controversy, people say it's an insult to the victims, people saying 'get over yourselves, it's just a movie'. Sorry, I'll side with those who scream disrespect. Some people clearly don't know the meaning of that word, what pisses me off is there are people who SURVIVED Chernobyl saying it's offensive, and all that people can say to the survivors in response is 'who cares? So what? Well then let's ban pictures of sunsets because so many people die of skin cancer'. What the hell? How fucking heartless can you be to say that to somebody who was THERE and SURVIVED to tell about it? If ANYBODY has a right to be pissed off, it's THOSE people, the survivors, don't be telling them 'it's just a movie, relax!'
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Chernobyl Diaries (2012) Empty Re: Chernobyl Diaries (2012)

Post by Shale Fri May 25, 2012 10:47 am

It's Sci-Fi and Chernobyl is just a setting. I have seen actual documentaries already of scientists visiting the site, mostly to see how the wildlife is rebounding and taking samples to see the effects of radiation on them.

If we consider the effect on survivors of great tragedies before using that tragedy in fictional portrayal then there would have been no movies or books about the Civil War before I was born because I remember when the last survivors of that war died. In fact, my great grandfather, a sawbones in the CSA was still alive when Gone With The Wind was made.

There still would be no portrayals of WWII and especially Vietnam because there are still thousands of survivors of those atrocities still around (many of the latter still young ppl my age). I can't recall this controvery with Platoon in 1986, but I'm sure some ppl did complain.

This same controversy happened over World Trade Center in 2006 - five years after the event, even tho it was portraying the heroism of first responders. It was also the setting of Remember Me 2010 and Extremely Loud, Incredibly Close 2012. Maybe those movies should not have been made until all the traumatized ppl of NY & the world were gone.

Think we should complain about X-Men because Eric's mother was portrayed being killed at a Nazi death camp?

Chernobyl Diaries looks like a cheesy horror movie from what I saw in the trailers - nothing more. My only complaint is the use of Cyrillic letters to replace Roman letters as in "Яussia"

By that poster, (which happens to include all Cyrillic letters) Chernobyl would be pronounced in Russian as Snyoyapovul. That is what pisses me off. Those are real letters representing sounds in the Russian language not some stylish way to WrItE lIkE kIDs dO ThEsE dAyS.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Fri May 25, 2012 11:38 am

co-signs with Shale.

I've just seen the previews of this movie. Not planning to rush to the theater but it's apparently from the same people as the Paranormal Activity movies & I thought it appeared to have a similar style. But we would have to shut Hollywood down to keep everyone from being upset or offended.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Fri May 25, 2012 1:32 pm

I haven't heard about any controversy. I wasn't planning on seeing it anyway.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Fri May 25, 2012 8:49 pm

Nope.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Fri May 25, 2012 10:48 pm

i think most movies that depict a time period/event tell a story tho--- or some kind of informational value to the event. i would be less offended by the topic if it explored the effects, on not only the survivors, but the future generations. only about 15% of kids born there are healthy... many need surgeries and have heart problems. Doctors without borders was performing surgeries on the kids to give pace makers, etc... and it was like $300 american dollars, as opposed to their tens of thousands of rubles.

you can watch the whole documentary online:

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/chernobyl-heart/
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Sat May 26, 2012 9:03 am

It looks interesting, I would like to see it.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Sat May 26, 2012 11:12 am

Since yesterday I talked to a co-worker on the fone. She is from the Ukraine and was there in 1986 when the Chernobyl disaster happened. I mentioned to her that there was some controversy about making a sci-fi film set in Chernobyl.

She said she had seen the trailers on TV and feels it is insulting after living thru that. She said it is stupid ppl who made the movie only for money. She said she is not going to see it and everyone who worked during that time won't be seeing it. She asked me if I knew about Chernobyl and I told her yes, I have watched documentaries on public TV about the tragedy and the aftermath. I knew about the heroes, those walking dead workers who went in and tried to contain it, knowing that they were being killed in the process. This was a grave event.

She said she wouldn't hold it against me if I saw it.

Here we have to consider closeness to an event as to how it affects you. I once wrote this fact into a published piece about the student murders in Gainesville Florida, published in March 1994 under the headline "Fateful Proximity.'

"It's one of the first rules of journalism that proximity determines newsworthiness. Closeness to an event is more important than the objective gravity of the event. That's why 200 foreigners killed by terrorists on the other side of the world aren't as newsworthy as two locals blown up in a car bomb."

The article went on to mention that I had once met Manny, the only guy killed in the student murders and his friend that I met him thru was close to being another victim.

This may be why I am so pissed at Martin Mathers' fag bashing song, not so much for its general anti-gay message but because he made light of a local senseless murder of Versace here on Miami Beach. The sociopath Cunanan actually stayed at a hotel a few blocks from where I lived. It was close to home for me - maybe more abstract for ppl further away.

IDK if I will be seeing Chernobyl Diaries. For one thing I have to be in the mood to endure another Paranormal type flick. But I can see why some ppl would be upset by the making of a movie set in Chernobyl. However, they have the freedom not to go see it and those of us further removed from the tragedy have the right to see it.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Sat May 26, 2012 3:29 pm

A review was posted today by a man who is from the Ukraine, he saw the film and pointed out not only do they shoot in places that aren't even anywhere NEAR Chernobyl or even look like the real place should, but to actually be there on a tour, NOBODY who valued their lives would do half of what the characters do, like touching the ground, touching the water, kneeling down on the ground, all due how much radiation is still there and can still kill people if they get too low to the ground or something. I think it's a good thing that there are such reviews by people who would actually KNOW what it would look like and how anybody who actually went through the area SHOULD act in exploring it. You can argue with a lot of things but when you're setting a movie in a VERY specific place like that you should at the very least get your details right.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Sat May 26, 2012 3:54 pm

It's just a low budget horror movie. Some details just aren't that significant. It would matter more in a documentary or at least a serious movie. But this one is just another movie repeating the shaky cam thing that Blairwitch did & a few others that followed it. Guessing it's a lot more about the shock & startle than anything.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Sat May 26, 2012 4:00 pm

CeCe wrote:It's just a low budget horror movie. Some details just aren't that significant. It would matter more in a documentary or at least a serious movie. But this one is just another movie repeating the shaky cam thing that Blairwitch did & a few others that followed it. Guessing it's a lot more about the shock & startle than anything.

Problem with that is they should've stopped at Blair Witch because now nobody's scared of it, they see it all coming. A lot of reviews are already pouring in that as a horror movie it sucks, it was predictable, not original at all, saw all the jump scares coming, etc. This is just my opinion and I'll admit I don't know much about it, this was made by the same guy that did Paranormal Activity, he probably should've stopped there because it's like a magician doing the same trick over and over again, it just doesn't work anymore and the audience doesn't want it.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Sat May 26, 2012 10:59 pm

Supernova wrote:A review was posted today by a man who is from the Ukraine, he saw the film and pointed out not only do they shoot in places that aren't even anywhere NEAR Chernobyl or even look like the real place should, but to actually be there on a tour, NOBODY who valued their lives would do half of what the characters do, like touching the ground, touching the water, kneeling down on the ground, all due how much radiation is still there and can still kill people if they get too low to the ground or something. I think it's a good thing that there are such reviews by people who would actually KNOW what it would look like and how anybody who actually went through the area SHOULD act in exploring it. You can argue with a lot of things but when you're setting a movie in a VERY specific place like that you should at the very least get your details right.

OMG!! You mean this is a FICTIONAL story? Next you'll be telling me that Ripley didn't really kick that Alien into space or that Ryan Reynolds wasn't really Buried in a box in Iraq. d-oh!
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Sat May 26, 2012 11:11 pm

remember when blair witch came out and they tried to advertise it as real? lol

they even did a "documentary" of it on tv with the "parents" of the missing kids ... interviews and everything was ridiculous.. ridiculous then.. ridiculous now.

i still think it is disrespectful... sorta like if they did a creepy 9/11 story ... showing kids at night climbing thru the ashes and debris.. then had the victims arise as flesh eating zombies... it woudl upset people

OMG.. now someone will read that and do it for sure! lol maybe we should just go buy a piece of crap camera and do it ourselves... why not make millions from a few thousand?
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Sat May 26, 2012 11:25 pm

wants2laugh wrote:remember when blair witch came out and they tried to advertise it as real? lol

they even did a "documentary" of it on tv with the "parents" of the missing kids ... interviews and everything was ridiculous.. ridiculous then.. ridiculous now.

i still think it is disrespectful... sorta like if they did a creepy 9/11 story ... showing kids at night climbing thru the ashes and debris.. then had the victims arise as flesh eating zombies... it woudl upset people

OMG.. now someone will read that and do it for sure! lol maybe we should just go buy a piece of crap camera and do it ourselves... why not make millions from a few thousand?

That's what I've been saying, since somebody was so hellbent on doing this movie, let someone then make the World Trade Center Diaries and see how well everybody takes to that one.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 2:19 am