CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+9
Impact
captainbryce
Bluesmama
Shale
wants2laugh
Alan Smithee
Tony Marino
Nystyle709
Chris
13 posters

The Deep South

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

The Deep South Empty The Deep South

Post by Chris Tue May 29, 2012 12:45 pm

What's your opinion/impression of 'The Deep South' and would you ever consider living in places that can be titled that?
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

The Deep South Empty Re: The Deep South

Post by Nystyle709 Tue May 29, 2012 1:49 pm

The South is the South. Ive lived in South. hot as hell...but its not a bad place. Got some backward ass folks there though, but you have that everywhere.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Tue May 29, 2012 1:49 pm

The South is the South. Ive lived in South. hot as hell...but its not a bad place. Got some backward ass folks there though, but you have that everywhere.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Tue May 29, 2012 1:51 pm

Not a place I would choose to live.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Tue May 29, 2012 1:56 pm

Even in the more enlightened areas it's too hot. I enjoy at least 3 of the 4 seasons. Even winter is OK in small doses.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Tue May 29, 2012 2:11 pm

well often people will consider the "south" to be anything below the Mason-Dixon line--- which of course includes Maryland. but i can tell you that there are places in NJ & Delaware that you would definitely think you were in texas or someplace by the look of the land and the "western" dress and culture. I was in delaware once and could not understand the people in the damn store cause of the southern twang and i was thinking "damn, im only an hour from home!" lol

would i live in the south? ABSOLUTELY i hate the cold/winter... visited my guy at Ft. Benning GA.. and was great...the people were great... and there was this little town not far called Phenix City AL (yeah they spell it wrong lol) and it had everything you need as far as stores go. Driving was confusing though... they had the strangest intersections i have ever seen... you had to cross over 6 lanes of traffic to make a left (and choose between two lefts i kid u not).
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Tue May 29, 2012 2:11 pm

I am very familiar with the Deep South - my family is from rural Mississippi. The pine woods were beautiful and I would have liked to live in those parts, but after a little time living there when I got out of the service, it was apparent that I did not fit in with the Southern mindset - so off to New Orleans.

It is that inbred backward mentality that makes me an expatriate from the Deep South. I lived in Gainesville FL for years but it is dominated by a large university, which makes the difference. Now I have grown to enjoy the mostly not cold weather of South Florida and just have to endure the insanity of this place.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by wants2laugh Tue May 29, 2012 2:19 pm

I just started watching Dallas from 78, and they had snow and fur coats, and i was thinking REALLY in Dallas? I remember the blizzards of 78 even tho i was four... it was so bad here that we couldnt see some of the fences between the neighbors and our heater died... it was freakin freezing.

so i looked up the internet ... and dallas had record breakin snowfall that year... 7inches in dallas.. must have driven those folks crazy cause i cant imagine that they have salt/trucks/ plows LOL
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Tue May 29, 2012 2:29 pm

wants2laugh wrote:...record breakin snowfall that year... 7inches in dallas.. must have driven those folks crazy cause i cant imagine that they have salt/trucks/ plows LOL

One year recently Atlanta had a big snowfall. No one knew how to drive in it and they do not have snow plows, except maybe graders they use on gravel roads. In the '60s New Orleans had an ice storm and it was chaos with drivers not used to ice on the roads.
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 43

Post by Bluesmama Tue May 29, 2012 2:45 pm

I think I would enjoy the deep south better than I do the Pacific Northwest. In some ways, anyway.

But I'm actually a California-Arizona type of person. Like wants2laugh, I hate cold. Would like to live in New Orleans for a year or two, though (and while I don't think they like to consider themselves 'deep south', I do).
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 127

Post by captainbryce Tue May 29, 2012 11:23 pm

Chris wrote:What's your opinion/impression of 'The Deep South'
    The Deep South often gets a bad rep! Unfortunately, it completely deserves that rep until it becomes "better" than it is (socially, economically and politically).

Chris wrote: and would you ever consider living in places that can be titled that?
    If the price was right and the property was good, YES.
    Impact
    Impact
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 75

Post by Impact Tue May 29, 2012 11:39 pm

My impression is that the deep south is way too slow-moving and conservative for my tastes, but the main reason I wouldn't want to live in one of its states is because of the heat.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Wed May 30, 2012 12:33 am

Naw, I like places with all 4 seasons.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by wants2laugh Wed May 30, 2012 1:35 am

my aunt lives in south carolina, and in the small town, everyone knows everyone. they help each other out and they trust each other. i think i would like that... if i broke down on the road at 3am, i would know the passersby and would not feel uncomfortable asking for help
    zthatzmanz28
    zthatzmanz28
    …is Significant.
    …is Significant.

Male
    Rep : 13

Post by zthatzmanz28 Wed May 30, 2012 6:40 am

North Carolina is about as southern as I care to experience. My wife and I drove to some yahoo town in South Carolina to look at a Dodge diesel a few years ago. The local Ford dealer was selling it--I think there was ONE salesperson--as we were waiting in the sales room we were looking at pictures of the owner at various community activities. One was of a group of 15-20 boys ages 10-14. The sales person told us it was kind of like a big brother program the owner did twice a month and took the boys out fishing or other outdoors activities.
    It was the WHITEST picture I have ever seen. The town was at least 50% people of color and not one was in the "big brother" group.

I even joke with my wife that I will never even drive through Mississippi...
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Wed May 30, 2012 7:29 am

I see there is this big misconception that the South is hot all of the time. That is SO not true. Yes, when it gets hot, it's HOT.....but most of the South is on the East Coast and Midwest. They DO get all four seasons. They won't get much snow, if any,....but they do have a winter and it can get cold as fuck. There is also fall and spring. It's West that doesn't have all four seasons.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Wed May 30, 2012 8:05 am

In the deep south? My parents have been living in Florida and S.C. for the last 10-12 years. Still too hot.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Wed May 30, 2012 8:18 am

Alan Smithee wrote:In the deep south? My parents have been living in Florida and S.C. for the last 10-12 years. Still too hot.

LOL, first off.....that deep south shit needs to die. They may be known for having a lot of rural areas, but every state in the country has more rural areas than cities/towns. Secondly, you only visited your parents in SC. I have LIVED there and in Florida. It does get cold. Where you might get the notion that its 70 Plus degrees there all the time, I don't know. I've seen it get in the 30's and even 20' s. It just doesn't snow often.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Wed May 30, 2012 8:47 am

I've been to South Carolina many times since the '70s, even stayed a month in Charleston. I was visiting the Meher Center at Myrtle Beach.

However, the scariest moment of my life was when my wife and I were driving up there in 1981 and were targeted by a bunch of good-ol-boy rednecks in a pickup truk on I-95. I later read of an interracial couple in South Carolina who were followed by racists and killed in front of their house.

So, SC like most of the Deep South is still not into the 20th Century.
    Suzi
    Suzi
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 85

Post by Suzi Wed May 30, 2012 12:16 pm

That and others like that I met while Mr Suzi was in the US navy convinced me I never wanted to go any where near the south.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aIcV4N1qvss
    Kral
    Kral
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 30

Post by Kral Wed May 30, 2012 11:15 pm

The south is actually the one coast I couldn't see living on. I'd be willing to live on any of the others. I just don't care for the heat or how socially conservative most of it is.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 7:22 pm