CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+7
Minerva
Alan Smithee
Nystyle709
RedBedroom
Suzi
Shale
Supernova
11 posters

Would you want a high profile lawyer defending you?

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Would you want a high profile lawyer defending you? Empty Would you want a high profile lawyer defending you?

Post by Supernova Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:44 am

If you had the money, or even if they offered to do it pro bono, if you were arrested for something you didn't do, would you want some high name lawyer as your defense?

I was talking about this with a friend of mine the other night, Jose Baez winning the Casey Anthony case was seen as a large victory on his part, but if I ever got arrested, his lying piece-of-shit ass would be the LAST person in the whole world I would call for defense because then everybody would KNOW I was guilty. If it were me in the hotseat, I would NOT want anybody whose name you can throw around and half the people in the room know who it is, to me that would only hurt my credibility.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Would you want a high profile lawyer defending you? Empty Re: Would you want a high profile lawyer defending you?

Post by Shale Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:19 am

Supernova wrote: ... but if I ever got arrested, his lying piece-of-shit ass would be the LAST person in the whole world I would call for defense because then everybody would KNOW I was guilty. ...

Actually, his client got acquitted. If he lied about anything it was the opposing lawyers job to expose that. If there was not evidence to prove the person did the crime then by law that person is innocent. Whatever one might think of Casey Anthony she is legally innocent because no one could prove her guilty of a crime. Sorry, that's the way it is.

Lawyers are supposed to win their client's case. They are often dispassionate in their endeavor, which is why so many cases are settled or plea bargained to save time & expense and risk of the whim of 12 disgruntled, inconvenienced ppl.

So, it may be better to go with a lawyer who knows the ins & outs of the trial process and wins cases, even if he is hi profile. I don't think any lawyer garners love of the average person - they are all suspect of being conniving, so a hi profile conniver may be no worse than a less competent conniver.
    Suzi
    Suzi
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 85

Would you want a high profile lawyer defending you? Empty Re: Would you want a high profile lawyer defending you?

Post by Suzi Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:26 am

I might not want Baez, but I have always said if I needed a good lawyer and had the money I would want Johnnie Cochran. Yes I know that he died, but I don't have the money and hopefully will never run afoul of the police either.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:08 pm

I would not want Baez because jury members may be disgruntled by the Anthony verdict and take that out on me in my case. I would never want Gloria Allred either if I ended up with some female issue such as in the cases she is drawn to.

But I don't know..I may take a high profile lawyer who is in good favor with the public.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:28 pm

It would depend on my case.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:35 pm

Well Supernova, if you ever did catch a case you could always go with a public defender instead. You think all/only defense lawyers are lying piece-of-shit asses? The prosecutor is trying to but you away. Maybe on death row. I would not be surprised if for every defense lawyer you thought was a scumbag we can find examples of prosecutorial/police misconduct. If I'm ever on trial I want someone who will advocate for me. I don't care if I wouldn't invite them over for Thanksgiving.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:27 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:Well Supernova, if you ever did catch a case you could always go with a public defender instead. You think all/only defense lawyers are lying piece-of-shit asses? The prosecutor is trying to but you away. Maybe on death row. I would not be surprised if for every defense lawyer you thought was a scumbag we can find examples of prosecutorial/police misconduct. If I'm ever on trial I want someone who will advocate for me. I don't care if I wouldn't invite them over for Thanksgiving.

That might be but there are some lawyers I think having them represent you is as good as putting an extra large target on your head.
    Minerva
    Minerva
    …is Significant.
    …is Significant.

Female
    Rep : 18

Post by Minerva Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:28 pm

Depends on the crime I guess. If I were accused of a very serious crime I would want the best lawyer I could find. I don't think juries acquit a person on trial because they didn't like the attorney for the defense.

In the Casey Anthony case, it was here attorney's job to defend her. He did his job as he was supposed to. We may not like it but he was able to show there was reasonable doubt that she was guilty and so the jury had to decide in her favor. That was his job and he did it well.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:37 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:... we can find examples of prosecutorial/police misconduct. ...

The Innocence Project is finding them all the time and they got away with it by withholding evidence, presenting biased evidence to juries and being too aggressive to win a conviction at all costs. (Hey, it was OK, they knew the perp was guilty)

Then comes DNA testing, which has now exonerated hundreds of these wrongly convicted ppl, many on death row. In other words the jury and lawyers and judges got it very seriously wrong.
    embarassed

wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:22 pm

Let's face it... if i was being tried, and i got a pro bono offer, would I take it? hell yeah. For example... in Primal Fear... high profile attorney played by richard gere wanted the cameras so he went after a sensationalized case. Would i want HIM or the public defender making about $70k a year.. who does not have the resources to do testings, investigate witnesses, and pay for witness testimony the same way that a lawyer who makes $500,000 a year does...especially if he is pro bono??? I want all i can get. And let's face it... if he could get CASEY ANTHONY off... with the entire world hating her... then THAT is the lawyer I want!!! especially if im innocent.

wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by wants2laugh Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:33 pm

BTW... most trials are tried in the media, not in the courtroom.... Casey Anthony was tried by the public before she set foot in the courtroom. In that instance, I want someone who knows how to work, manipulate, and handle the media circus
    Minerva
    Minerva
    …is Significant.
    …is Significant.

Female
    Rep : 18

Post by Minerva Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:20 pm

wants2laugh wrote:BTW... most trials are tried in the media, not in the courtroom.... Casey Anthony was tried by the public before she set foot in the courtroom. In that instance, I want someone who knows how to work, manipulate, and handle the media circus

Excellent points!
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by wants2laugh Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:31 pm

Well think about it... when was the last time that the media sensationalized a trial and people said, "he/she didnt do it". that RARELY happens... we assume that if u r being tried then there is enough evidence to convict.... so what is the point of thinking otherwise? eye roll

the only tials i can think of where i thought the people were innocent were the WM3, and jeffrey macdonald-- and HE is still in jail 30yrs later
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:48 pm

wants2laugh wrote:Well think about it... when was the last time that the media sensationalized a trial and people said, "he/she didnt do it". that RARELY happens... we assume that if u r being tried then there is enough evidence to convict.... so what is the point of thinking otherwise? eye roll

the only tials i can think of where i thought the people were innocent were the WM3, and jeffrey macdonald-- and HE is still in jail 30yrs later

This is true. Some people do think that way. That actually scares the hell out of me...that people automatically assume someone is guilty if they're on trial. Sometimes they think this when someone is arrested until it happens to them & wakes them up.

Didn't follow the Jefferey MacDonald case so can't speak on him but definitely, the WM3 are innocent but those boys were convicted before they ever set foot in the courtroom. Arkansas? Dead kids? At the height of satanic panic? The only thing that shocks me about that case is that they didn't finagle a way to execute Damien.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:50 am

Sure why not especially if they did it pro bono.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:17 pm

Shale wrote:

The Innocence Project is finding them all the time and they got away with it by withholding evidence, presenting biased evidence to juries and being too aggressive to win a conviction at all costs. (Hey, it was OK, they knew the perp was guilty)

Then comes DNA testing, which has now exonerated hundreds of these wrongly convicted ppl, many on death row. In other words the jury and lawyers and judges got it very seriously wrong.
    embarassed

"Scumbag" lawyers aren't the real problem.
    A Chicago man who served 21 years in prison on a murder charge for which he was later exonerated filed suit Thursday against the city of Chicago and its police department.

Attorneys representing Jacques Rivera, 47, claim that Chicago police falsified evidence and manipulated a witness before their client was convicted in 1998 of fatally shooting Felix Valentin, a gang member, and sentenced to serve 80 years in a maximum security prison.

Locke Bowman, an attorney whose firm is representing Rivera, said his client "suffered a grave justice at the hands of Chicago police" and deserves to be compensated for it, the Chicago Tribune reports.

Last fall, the purported crime's only eyewitness recanted his testimony that identified Rivera as the killer. The charges were dropped and Rivera was, essentially, a free man again. The witness, Orlando Lopez, was 12 years old at the time of the alleged crime.

Bowman further described such behavior leading to wrongful convictions as "a pattern with the Chicago Police Department," NBC Chicago reports.

"The Police Department has never investigated any of these cases or disciplined an officer despite clear, egregious misconduct in many of these cases," Bowman said, according to NBC. "That's simply unacceptable."

Rivera's conviction was the subject of over a decade of work by the Northwestern University Law School’s Center on Wrongful Convictions.

When Rivera, a former Latin King, was released from prison last October, he said he planned to work with inner-city youth. But HuffPost Chicago blogger David Protess, president of the Chicago Innocence Project, reports that Rivera has struggled to get on his feet since his release.

Specifically, he's been unable to attain the $199,150 in financial restitution he is seeking under Illinois law because Cook County prosecutors have called on Rivera to further prove his innocence -- even after being exonerated.

The strange loophole is the subject of a bill proposed by state Sen. Donne Trotter (D-Chicago).

"I'm not really free yet. At 47, I live with my mother to make ends meet and I can't afford a vehicle to get to a job or the events I've been asked to speak at," Rivera told Protess last month. "Prosecutors are doing everything they can to prevent me from living my life."
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/07/jacques-rivera-man-who-sp_n_1578973.html?ref=chicago&icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl1|sec3_lnk1%26pLid%3D168078
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:51 pm

THAT'S IT?! For 20 years?! Blaspheme! Best believe my foot wouldn't get out of Cook County's ass until I was compensated accordingly.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:15 am

Yes, if only because of how their profile and reputation might sway things in my favor.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by wants2laugh Fri Jun 08, 2012 3:57 am

CeCe wrote:

Didn't follow the Jefferey MacDonald case so can't speak on him but definitely, the WM3 are innocent but those boys were convicted before they ever set foot in the courtroom. Arkansas? Dead kids? At the height of satanic panic? The only thing that shocks me about that case is that they didn't finagle a way to execute Damien.

if you enjoy reading, I recommend Fatal Vision by Joe McGuinness which makes him look guilty... then read Fatal Justice written to defend him. The poor guys' pregnant wife and 2 kids are murdered while he is being attacked, right after the whole manson crazy killings... and after the army tries him and the judge apologizes for causing him more stress/heartache... the federal government then prosecutes him 9 yrs later as a civilian.. and he is convicted. A witness came forward claiming to be one of the ones who was in the house during the killings, and she admits that she was dressed as he describes, but they convicted him anyway. That was 32 yrs ago... and he is still in jail. crazy

And i think someone above made a reference that one is innocent if acquitted. That isn't exactly true. I took a law class once that discussed this. We have two sayings "innocent until proven guilty".. but we don't find someone "innocent".. we find them "not guilty". Legally these are two different things. "Not guilty" means "not guilty beyond a reasonable doubt"... as in you could be guilty, we just didnt have enough evidence... which is why those who have been acquitted of murder can be sued in civil court where the standard is "by the preponderance of the evidence" which is much easier to prove.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:48 am

wants2laugh wrote:

if you enjoy reading, I recommend Fatal Vision by Joe McGuinness which makes him look guilty... then read Fatal Justice written to defend him. The poor guys' pregnant wife and 2 kids are murdered while he is being attacked, right after the whole manson crazy killings... and after the army tries him and the judge apologizes for causing him more stress/heartache... the federal government then prosecutes him 9 yrs later as a civilian.. and he is convicted. A witness came forward claiming to be one of the ones who was in the house during the killings, and she admits that she was dressed as he describes, but they convicted him anyway. That was 32 yrs ago... and he is still in jail. crazy

And i think someone above made a reference that one is innocent if acquitted. That isn't exactly true. I took a law class once that discussed this. We have two sayings "innocent until proven guilty".. but we don't find someone "innocent".. we find them "not guilty". Legally these are two different things. "Not guilty" means "not guilty beyond a reasonable doubt"... as in you could be guilty, we just didnt have enough evidence... which is why those who have been acquitted of murder can be sued in civil court where the standard is "by the preponderance of the evidence" which is much easier to prove.

Didn't know a witness ever came forward. So this would be the woman in the "floppy hat"? Just heard very basic things about the case. After so many years he will probably need a miracle.

And yeah "innocent" & "not guilty" are two entirely different things. Being found "not guilty" does just mean there wasn't enough evidence to support a conviction whereas "innocent" means they didn't do it. Period. Nothing will EVER convince me the WM3 had anything to do with that horrible crime. As a matter of fact most people, if they're being honest know damn well who did it.

What pisses me off about the deal the WM3 is that they were forced to make it because the state of Arkansas was more concerned with covering its ass than about justice.

We may have the best justice system compared to other countries but that doesn't mean it isn't still mightily fucked up.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 06, 2024 5:00 pm