CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+7
Nystyle709
Shale
Supernova
CeCe
Suzi
tmontyb
Alan Smithee
11 posters

"Rodney King, motorist whose beating by Los Angeles police officers sparked deadly US race riots, dead at 47"

Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

"Rodney King, motorist whose beating by Los Angeles police officers sparked deadly US race riots, dead at 47" Empty "Rodney King, motorist whose beating by Los Angeles police officers sparked deadly US race riots, dead at 47"

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:35 pm

Rodney King, the black motorist whose videotaped beating by Los Angeles police officers in 1991 sparked some of the deadliest race riots in U.S. history, was found dead on Sunday, police said. He was 47.

Police in Rialto, Calif., found King's body in a swimming pool after getting a 911 call from his fiancee, Rialto Police Capt. Randy Deanda told NBC News. Officers pulled King from the pool and began doing CPR but he was unresponsive.

King was transported to Arrowhead Hospital in Colton, where he was pronounced dead at 6:11 a.m. PDT, Deanda said.

The death was being investigated as a drowning and there were no signs of foul play, police said.

King was beaten by Los Angeles Police Department officers on March 3, 1991, after he was stopped for speeding. Four officers hit him more than 50 times, kicked him and shot him with stun guns. A bystander videotaped much of the incident from a distance.

Twenty years after Los Angeles police officers were acquitted of charges they brutally beat motorist Rodney King, TODAY's Lester Holt looks back at the case and how it changed the Los Angeles police department and how Americans view the justice system.

A year later, a California jury acquitted the four officers, three of whom were white and one Hispanic.

The riots that erupted on April 29, 1992, were among the most lethal in U.S. history. By the time order was restored, 53 people had died, nearly 3,000 people were injured and thousands of businesses were damaged or destroyed.

In one of the most searing images from the riots, a 33-year-old white construction worker named Reginald Denny was pulled from his vehicle and beaten unconscious by four men at a Los Angeles intersection. Twenty years later, he has still not recovered from his injuries.
    tmontyb
    tmontyb
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 37

"Rodney King, motorist whose beating by Los Angeles police officers sparked deadly US race riots, dead at 47" Empty Re: "Rodney King, motorist whose beating by Los Angeles police officers sparked deadly US race riots, dead at 47"

Post by tmontyb Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:37 pm

Saw this earlier. May he rest in peace. I was reading some of the comments on Yahoo. Simply disgusting. I don't what the hell is wrong with some people. This racism crap needs to stop.
    Suzi
    Suzi
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 85

"Rodney King, motorist whose beating by Los Angeles police officers sparked deadly US race riots, dead at 47" Empty Re: "Rodney King, motorist whose beating by Los Angeles police officers sparked deadly US race riots, dead at 47"

Post by Suzi Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:49 pm

The claim was that people didn't see what lead up to the beating, however to my mind no one deserved to be beaten the way the cops beat King. One of the problems was the cops in LA were racist from the get-go I remembered back to the Watts riots when a cop told us about knowing there were people inside a burning building and the cops locked the doors so no one could get out. What faith I had in the police died there with that story. How anyone could knowingly literally murder people that way was appalling. Then along came Rodney King and the trial that allowed the cops to walk free was just too much. After that Rodney King was targeted by the police so one often heard about him being pulled over , arrested for things that never seemed to stick. May he rest in the peace he wasn't allowed in life.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:50 pm

tmontyb wrote:Saw this earlier. May he rest in peace. I was reading some of the comments on Yahoo. Simply disgusting. I don't what the hell is wrong with some people. This racism crap needs to stop.

You're usually better off to not read the Yahoo comments at all. Largest gathering of ignorant inbred bigoted fuckheads in the world. They're a thousand times worse than imdb.

But RIP sad He had a very troubled life. Hope if there is anything beyond this he finds peace because he certainly didn't find justice.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:52 pm

Suzi wrote:The claim was that people didn't see what lead up to the beating, however to my mind no one deserved to be beaten the way the cops beat King. One of the problems was the cops in LA were racist from the get-go I remembered back to the Watts riots when a cop told us about knowing there were people inside a burning building and the cops locked the doors so no one could get out. What faith I had in the police died there with that story. How anyone could knowingly literally murder people that way was appalling. Then along came Rodney King and the trial that allowed the cops to walk free was just too much. After that Rodney King was targeted by the police so one often heard about him being pulled over , arrested for things that never seemed to stick. May he rest in the peace he wasn't allowed in life.

And that claim is outright bullshit. It doesn't matter what lead up to it. Those officers had countless opportunities to subdue & place him in the cruiser. Sometimes a gun & a badge makes people think they can do whatever they want.
    Suzi
    Suzi
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 85

Post by Suzi Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:58 pm

CeCe wrote:

And that claim is outright bullshit. It doesn't matter what lead up to it. Those officers had countless opportunities to subdue & place him in the cruiser. Sometimes a gun & a badge makes people think they can do whatever they want.
    I think certain types of people gravitate to different jobs. Bullies want to be cops and prison guards.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:06 pm

CeCe wrote:

And the system proves that they can, if you got a badge you can shoot somebody 50 times and sabes que, that's alright, not guilty, back to work.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:24 pm

Supernova wrote:

And the system proves that they can, if you got a badge you can shoot somebody 50 times and sabes que, that's alright, not guilty, back to work.

Or "41" too. When they get away with this so many times it gives the ones who really are the good guys a bad rep. That's a shame because there are some great cops out there. But this kind of thing makes people not trust them.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:55 pm

A little bit of our sordid history passes with this unfortunate guy. There was no justice for him and the truck driver that we also saw brutalized by outraged mobs in backlash.

We had the same thing here in Miami in the '80s with the McDuffy murder by white pigs that caused riots when they got acquitted. The code of silence is the backbone of organized crime and police departments and that is why both continue.

Unbelievable that the pigs have not learned that ppl will rise up eventually when they keep up the unwarranted brutality. Yeah, there are some good cops, but also too many silent cops who will not rat out the pigs in their midst - which makes them an accessory to all the shit that goes down.

I have posted this screed before, but if you haven't read it before, it gives my personal bad experience with the pigs (and I ain't even black).

http://home.earthlink.net/~robwrites/id11.html
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:56 pm

Wow. RIP Rodney.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:59 pm

tmontyb wrote:Saw this earlier. May he rest in peace. I was reading some of the comments on Yahoo. Simply disgusting. I don't what the hell is wrong with some people. This racism crap needs to stop.

Yahoo comments are designed to piss you off. Don't even bother with them.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:46 pm

Just as no matter what he did (unless he was molesting/abusing a child and caught in the act--IMO beat the shit out of him then) constituted the beating... no matter what the police did should not have resulted in the riots. If you are pissed off then go march and protest, but looting from the stores in your own community, beating anyone who walks by, and turning over cars is bs as well. I did notice that the article did not say anything about charges brought against the attackers of Reginald Denny. His main attacker only got 4yrs (and eventually killed someone else and is not in prison on a 47yr sentence), one got a year of time served,and one took a plea bargain of 3yrs. They were acquitted of attempted murder. Reginald Denny apparently suffered severed head trauma, went thru years of rehab and needed to learn to talk again. During the trial, Denny went to the mother of one of his attackers and hugged her--- that is a real man in my opinion.

Rodney King was out on parole for a robbery charge after beating the korean store owner. He was driving in speeds excessing 80mph thru the streets of LA and the freeway because he was DUI and was twice the legal limit. He admitted that he refused to pull over because he was afraid of violating his parole. After an 8 mile chase, the two passengers of the car gave up and were arrested without incident. King however resisted arrest and even assaulted an officer.

I saw Rodney King in Philly on a street corner signing autographs a couple years after the beating and he looked fine--- no slurred speech or limping. He was shouting to crowds, and taking in the celebrity atmosphere. He had sued the city and settled for $3.8 Million.

Although the officers involved were initially acquitted, they were indicted under federal charges of violating civil rights and two of them served 3yrs.

1993 - king was drunk driving and hit a wall in LA placed on probation

1995 - arrested for hitting his wife with his car sentenced to 90 days for hit and run

2003 - DUI and slammed into a a house breaking his pelvis after refusing to stop for police

2008 & 2009 - he appeared on celebrity rehab shows
    2009 - was in a celebrity boxing match
    2012 - convicted for reckless driving (while driving on an expired license)

Racism is wrong... but racism works in many directions, not just one. People should have been just as outraged about Reginald Denny's beating. With rodney king's driving history, it is amazing that he never killed anyone.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:48 pm

Amazing how things work out.

Just consider, had the LA cops not gone ballistic on his ass, and been caught on video tape doing it, they could have made a valid, professional arrest and Rodney King would not even be a name anyone knew today.

He woulda gone to jail for numerous offenses, including violating parole. Hell, he might have died today in jail (tho it may have been a healthier lifestyle than the one he lived).

There woulda been no cops on trial, no riots and no Denny.

Sorry, but the weight of this mess still lies on the pigs of the LA pig department, who had to forego their professional duty and get in their licks on this uppity nigger perp rather than just cuff him and book him.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:36 pm

RIP
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 43

Post by Bluesmama Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:55 pm

My sympathy for the King beating has always been very limited. I remember the tapes and it didn't look to me like Rodney tried much to cooperate. King chose to NOT pull over, putting everyone on the freeway at risk while drunk. Now, had he killed someone during that high-speed chase (especially if it included a chld) you know that the outcry would be against the cops for NOT pinning him down first.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Sun Jun 17, 2012 8:59 pm

Bluesmama wrote:My sympathy for the King beating has always been very limited. I remember the tapes and it didn't look to me like Rodney tried much to cooperate. King chose to NOT pull over, putting everyone on the freeway at risk while drunk. Now, had he killed someone during that high-speed chase (especially if it included a chld) you know that the outcry would be against the cops for NOT pinning him down first.

This may be true but even if he DID kill somebody, even that wouldn't warrant the beating that was caught on tape, no matter how much people might think he deserved it. Hell, they don't do that even when they DO catch a killer, and those are the times that the public wouldn't mind it so much.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:06 pm

Bluesmama wrote:My sympathy for the King beating has always been very limited. I remember the tapes and it didn't look to me like Rodney tried much to cooperate. King chose to NOT pull over, putting everyone on the freeway at risk while drunk. Now, had he killed someone during that high-speed chase (especially if it included a chld) you know that the outcry would be against the cops for NOT pinning him down first.

I remember them too & that's the problem. The cops had every opportunity to subdue & arrest & they failed. They weren't even trying. They beat the shit out of him. They just didn't know this time they were being taped. Regardless of what Rodney King did or failed to do, they should have been immediately held responsible for the choice they made.
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 43

Post by Bluesmama Sun Jun 17, 2012 9:40 pm

Supernova wrote:

This may be true but even if he DID kill somebody, even that wouldn't warrant the beating that was caught on tape, no matter how much people might think he deserved it.
    WTF??? In that scenario, try telling that to the loved ones that he killed during the chase!
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:31 pm

LMAO!

You gotta be fucking kidding me! A scenario that DIDN'T happen is no excuse for the cops brutally beat him the way they did. They could've cuffed him, but they chose otherwise.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:44 pm

Nystyle709 wrote:
    LMAO!

You gotta be fucking kidding me! A scenario that DIDN'T happen is no excuse for the cops brutally beat him the way they did. They could've cuffed him, but they chose otherwise.
    co-signs They had repeated opportunities to do it but they were too busy with "stick time". There is no legitimate "yeah, but..." that justifies what happened.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Mon Jun 18, 2012 1:27 am

Bluesmama wrote:My sympathy for the King beating has always been very limited.

co-signs

he was a criminal. not an alleged criminal, an actual lifelong criminal. He got beat and he got $3.8 Million for it. Did he give any of that money to the Korean shop owner that he beat which put him on parole in the first place? doubt it. I seriously have a problem turning him in to some kind of national hero.
    tmontyb
    tmontyb
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 37

Post by tmontyb Mon Jun 18, 2012 7:48 am

Frankly, I'm disgusted by this comment. I don't give a freak how much it "appeared" he may not have cooperated. That doesn't give the police the right to abuse their authority.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:40 am

tmontyb wrote:

Frankly, I'm disgusted by this comment. I don't give a freak how much it "appeared" he may not have cooperated. That doesn't give the police the right to abuse their authority.

co-signs a thousand times. Regardless of the situation leading up to the original chase or what happened later has zip to do with the fact these cops stepped way out of bounds. Their job was to cuff him, place him in the cruiser & take him to jail. All this other coulda/mighta/after the fact shit is deflection. The cops didn't keep the public safer by beating the living shit out of him. And it isn't their job to exact revenge. What they did is the definition of abuse of authority.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:17 am

tmontyb wrote:
    CeCe wrote:
    co-signs a thousand times. Regardless of the situation leading up to the original chase or what happened later has zip to do with the fact these cops stepped way out of bounds. Their job was to cuff him, place him in the cruiser & take him to jail. All this other coulda/mighta/after the fact shit is deflection. The cops didn't keep the public safer by beating the living shit out of him. And it isn't their job to exact revenge. What they did is the definition of abuse of authority.
    co-signs
    Had the cops done their job professionally, instead of giving summary justice like the racist, jackbooted thugs that they were, Rodney King woulda merely gone to jail for his offenses and no one today would even know his name.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:10 am

Looks like there may be more to this story.

Rodney King's neighbors heard 'commotion' at his house

Rodney King's neighbors on East Jackson Street in Rialto said they heard "a little bit of a commotion" from his house late Saturday and early Sunday, something they said was out of character for their typically quiet neighbor.

King, whose beating by Los Angeles police helped spark the 1992 L.A. riots, was pronounced dead at a Colton hospital at 6:11 a.m. Sunday, authorities said. His fiancée called 911 about 5:25 a.m. when she found King at the bottom of his backyard pool.

Detectives are investigating the death as a drowning, said Rialto Police Capt. Randy DeAnda. King was known to be a good swimmer and there were no indications he suffered any trauma, or that alcohol or drugs were a factor, although that will not be determined until the coroner completes an autopsy and toxicology tests.

Next-door neighbor Sandra Gardea, 31, said she heard what appeared to be a small gathering in King’s backyard early Sunday morning that grew loud enough for others to complain.

Gardea said about 3 or 3:30 a.m. she heard someone sobbing.

“It just sounded like someone was really sad,” she said. “There was a lot of moaning and crying. Another person was trying to console that person.”

She said it was several hours later when she heard a splash, and that’s when police and paramedics arrived.

King and a friend had been poolside Saturday afternoon and into the evening, DeAnda said. King's fiancée, Cynthia Kelley, talked to him Saturday night before she went to bed, he said.

Kelley was the only person home at the time, DeAnda said. King’s friend had gone home earlier.

Gardea said King rarely had gatherings and there had never been any problems with parties at King’s house.

Neighbor Bob Carlberg, 53, who lives two doors away, said he also heard what he described as a small party most of the night in King’s backyard.

“Last night I heard a little bit of commotion. It wasn’t really like a fight-fight fight. Sort of yelling back and forth," Carlberg said.

He continued: “I couldn’t really make it out. The neighbors behind, I heard they were screaming at him to be quiet. About 4:30 a.m. or 5 o’clock, it kind of got quiet."
    But Carlberg said that overall King was a great neighbor, very private, who "really kept to himself."

"He’s one of the best neighbors in the neighborhood," Carlberg said. "He did get into trouble. But that was Rodney."

Neighbor Tondalaya Baker, 55, has lived in her home for 13 years and had "never seen any problem" with King.

"He was very private," she said. "He was very quiet. Very withdrawn. The only time we saw him was when he was working in his yard ... or coming and going."

Cory Hudson, who lives just a few blocks away, said King often enjoyed swimming "at all hours of the night."

"I turned on the news and I heard [that King was dead]. Man, it's just devastating," Hudson said, adding the he didn't know any details about the incident.

"It's just sad. I feel bad for all the family members. It's been rough. I mean, he was just getting his life together."

Johnnie Kelley, who said he was King's former bodyguard, came by the house Sunday and consoled King's two daughters outside of the police tape.

"He's a good guy. He's a great guy. He's a kindhearted guy, maybe too kindhearted," he said.

Kelley said he "understood his pain and all the things he was going through — all the drinking and stuff like that" after the beating, police trial and riots.

"After going through a trauma like that, being beaten and still having to deal with the public and everything — and life, period — I can understand what he was going through."

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2012/06/rodney-kings-neighbors-describe-unusual-commotion-at-his-house-saturday-night.html

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 1:08 am