CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

4 posters

Have you ever seen a silent auction run like this?

RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Have you ever seen a silent auction run like this? Empty Have you ever seen a silent auction run like this?

Post by RedBedroom Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:50 am

So, if you didn't read my ten mile long post about attending a benefit concert tonight, I don't blame you. But I did attend one tonight. They had a bunch of things going such as raffles, a 50/50 and a silent auction.

The silent auction was so odd to me. They had all these items displayed and had clip boards with spaces to fill in a name and bid and they started the bids with X dollar amount. I always see silent auctions as envelopes put into a box with bids.

The way they did it, it was like, "last post wins."

Granted, I haven't been privy to a ton of silent auctions. Have you seen it performed this way? The only benefit I see to it is they will #1, get more because they began the bids at a set amount, so nobody is going to walk away with getting a high value item for a minor amount. And #2, people will possibly "compete."

wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Have you ever seen a silent auction run like this? Empty Re: Have you ever seen a silent auction run like this?

Post by wants2laugh Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:04 am

actually, this way is quite common, and is often used in tv shows for comedic effect. I remember an episode of fraiser-- i think they were fighting over a bottle of wine or something... wound up paying like $8000 for it cause they were so competitive... then the epi my BIL was in on Hawaii 5-0 had the same thing
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Have you ever seen a silent auction run like this? Empty Re: Have you ever seen a silent auction run like this?

Post by RedBedroom Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:10 am

Oh, that is interesting that it is common practice. Then, it's not truly "silent." In person, the only type I have experience with is sealed bids.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:21 am

That's interesting. I have been to auctions before, but they were never silent. The erratic and campy behavior at auctions, in general, sort of amuse me. Reminds me of little kids in school, fervently raising their hands to get the teacher to call on them, while going ‘oooh, ooh.’
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Sun Jun 24, 2012 3:32 am

Silent auctions are normally in conjunction with a benefit of sorts.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:37 am

I never even heard of a 'silent' auction. Defeats the purpose I would think.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 1:51 am