CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+11
Nystyle709
Impact
Minerva
Alan Smithee
Shale
Forgiveness Man
AtownPeep
Tony Marino
CeCe
Supernova
Chris
15 posters

Oreo's Gay Pride cookie

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Oreo's Gay Pride cookie Empty Oreo's Gay Pride cookie

Post by Chris Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:13 pm

Oreo's Gay Pride cookie Gay-oreo-cookie

For Gay Pride month, Kraft Foods created a rainbow designed Oreo cookie. The response, though, hasn't been as positive as they thought it would be and people have reportedly left some twenty thousand-plus comments on their Facebook page, with a heavily percentage of them being negative; some threatening to boycott.

Your opinion? Was the Gay Pride Oreo cookie necessary?
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Oreo's Gay Pride cookie Empty Re: Oreo's Gay Pride cookie

Post by Supernova Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:20 pm

If they get it here, I'll eat it. That's my opinion about it.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:34 pm

Those threats are empty as always. Generally coming from "40,000 Moms" boring who are aligned with the hate group AFA

And of course I would.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:44 pm

Looks like it's much ado about nothing which is typical of this group.

ABC News Invents Anti-Gay Oreo BoycottOreo's Gay Pride cookie Oreo-Pride-256x300

Though an individual can choose to boycott a product, a boycott is, by definition, only effective if organized on a large scale. ABC News chose to ignore this distinction when it reported yesterday, “Oreo Pride: Rainbow-Stuffed Cookie Sparks Boycott.” The article highlighted the rainbow Oreo posted on Facebook this week, which was accompanied by the message, “Proudly support love!” Though the innocuously inclusive message has largely been praised, ABC News drew its conclusions solely from some negative comments posted on Facebook:

But while many of the comments were supportive, some Facebook users pledged to boycott the cookie because of the post.

“I’ll never buy Oreo again,” one commenter wrote.

“Disgusted with oreos,” wrote another. “Being gay is an abmonitation in GOd’s eyes i wont be buying them anymore.”

If such journalistic conclusions could be drawn from random typo-ridden comments on Internet content, news headlines would instantly lose all integrity. Two Facebook comments do not constitute a boycott, nor would 100 anti-gay comments even warrant calling the posting “controversial.” Culture wars have never merely been about a “difference of opinion.” Controversy is manufactured by such headlines that over-emphasize negative voices and draw false conclusions about their impact.

There are, of course, anti-gay boycotts, but none have been successful. The one-man operation known as the Florida Family Association has generated faux outrage about almost every LGBT-inclusive television program. The American Family Association has been boycotting Home Depot for its support of gay rights for years to no avail. Its subsidiary, One Million Moms, has whiningly railed against JC Penney for featuring Ellen DeGeneres and same-sex couples in advertisements. The National Organization for Marriage has been unsuccessfully “dumping” Starbucks and now General Mills. (Only a few dozen people showed up to protest General Mills yesterday, and the company actually boosted its dividends — thank General Mills here.) If NOM wants to retaliate against Oreos, it’ll have to add all of Kraft foods to its boycott, which would leave conservative kitchens with relatively empty pantries. To truly eschew all pro-LGBT companies, they’d also have to add Google, Microsoft, Nike, Time Warner Cable, Levi Strauss, CBS, and Xerox to their list, to name a few.

Businesses have realized that supporting equality and inclusion is good for their employees, good for their customers, and good for their bottom line, so it’s no surprise that pro-LGBT policies are quickly becoming ubiquitous throughout the corporate world. To try to upset this reality by highlighting a few negative reactions is not only irresponsible, it’s simply incorrect.

http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2012/06/27/507005/abc-news-invents-fictional-anti-gay-oreo-boycott/

Thought so. These people produce more noise than results.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:06 pm

looks yummy!
    AtownPeep
    AtownPeep
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 39

Post by AtownPeep Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:12 pm

The rainbow cookie itself is silly and so is the anger. The whole drama is unnecessary from all sides.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:49 pm

It honestly looks gross. An unhealthy food adding unnecessary food dyes to it? Pass. The idea that we need to have a "gay pride oreo" is really a joke. Is this supposed to make people take the issue seriously? Really? Rainbow cookie cream? lol It's another comedy stunt in the saga. I honestly don't care what the cause is. It's a frickin cookie!
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:23 pm

AtownPeep wrote:The rainbow cookie itself is silly and so is the anger. The whole drama is unnecessary from all sides.
    co-signs

The cookie does not exist. It is a marketing illustration only for Nabisco to honor Gay Pride Month.

The Think Progress diatribe is equally invalid, very much in the same vein as the negative comments on FB, full of sound and fury and signifying nothing.

From their headline "ABC News Invents Anti-Gay Oreo Boycott" I got really upset that a credible news source could be so stupid.

So, I went to the source:

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/06/oreo-pride-rainbow-stuffed-cookie-sparks-boycott/

As you will see it is an ABC Blog and other than the headline, it pretty much explains that there was more support than negative comments. So, ABC News didn't invent anything.

This is why I avoid so many gay activist orgs, they are quite often like a bunch of screaming nellies.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:27 pm

They should have distributed the different colors in a single layer throughout the pack. That big wad doesn't look appetizing. No problem with the sentiment behind it though. Anyone boycotting simply because it's "gay" can fuck off.
    Minerva
    Minerva
    …is Significant.
    …is Significant.

Female
    Rep : 18

Post by Minerva Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:38 pm

I think they're pretty. It's kind of a cute idea. I have a nephew who who works in the snack division of Kraft Foods who is involved with product development.

I'll have to find out if he has anything to do with this.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:46 pm

Shale wrote:
    The cookie does not exist. It is a marketing illustration only for Nabisco to honor Gay Pride Month.

Yeah it's just a picture campaign. The morning radio people were going on about how they were going to have to avoid the cookie aisle at the grocery store so their kids wouldn't want them. No...seriously. It was just a sign of respect & acceptance that we're finally starting to see in the media that is long overdue. It helps make the road a little smoother.
    Impact
    Impact
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 75

Post by Impact Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:46 pm

I see this is the new box cover

Oreo's Gay Pride cookie Tumblr_m6d66kzzHy1r06iq6o1_400
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Jun 29, 2012 10:15 pm

Chris wrote:Oreo's Gay Pride cookie Gay-oreo-cookie

For Gay Pride month, Kraft Foods created a rainbow designed Oreo cookie. The response, though, hasn't been as positive as they thought it would be and people have reportedly left some twenty thousand-plus comments on their Facebook page, with a heavily percentage of them being negative; some threatening to boycott.

Your opinion?

Dumb.

Was the Gay Pride Oreo cookie necessary?

Nope.
    CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

Post by CatEyes10736 Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:58 pm

It's just a picture. No rainbow cookie is actually being produced, so the bigots are just jumping to conclusion as usual.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:14 am

I got ur Gay Pride Oreo

Oreo's Gay Pride cookie 2012UrbanWkndSizzleMay272Felton-Rob-HoustonShale
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Sat Jun 30, 2012 2:03 am

I'm all for gay rights, but eventually it gets old. It seems in my area, the closest gay community is in philly. However, the gay pride sentiment seems to get shoved down our throats after awhile. I feel the same way about the spanish signs everywhere... there are no local hispanic communities, and yet, all of the signs in Kmart/sears are written in spanish. Doesnt make sense to me-- and after awhile, it seems that it is just ostracizing me. If someone wants true equality, they do not point out how they are separate, they would want to join others. The more a group boasts about pride, the more "prideful" they sound, and then it eventually crosses a line.

It kinda reminds me of when I was in school.. a girl wore a "black pride" shirt... and it was a "black is beautiful, freedom of self expression" sentiment. but if i would have worn "white pride" then I would have been suspended for it being a racist shirt.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:55 am

wants2laugh wrote:I'm all for gay rights, but eventually it gets old. It seems in my area, the closest gay community is in philly. However, the gay pride sentiment seems to get shoved down our throats after awhile. I feel the same way about the spanish signs everywhere... there are no local hispanic communities, and yet, all of the signs in Kmart/sears are written in spanish. Doesnt make sense to me-- and after awhile, it seems that it is just ostracizing me. If someone wants true equality, they do not point out how they are separate, they would want to join others. The more a group boasts about pride, the more "prideful" they sound, and then it eventually crosses a line.

It kinda reminds me of when I was in school.. a girl wore a "black pride" shirt... and it was a "black is beautiful, freedom of self expression" sentiment. but if i would have worn "white pride" then I would have been suspended for it being a racist shirt.

Oreo's Gay Pride cookie 954338

I always laugh when someone makes this ridiculous statement just for the sake of being ornery.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:13 am

Gotta agree with wantstolaugh. It seems counterproductive to want equality but than continually post banners of how you're different.

And real cookie or not, it's ridiculous. IMO, the biggest bigotry in this story is coming from the "gay pride" side.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:52 am

Forgiveness Man wrote:Gotta agree with wantstolaugh. It seems counterproductive to want equality but than continually post banners of how you're different.

And real cookie or not, it's ridiculous. IMO, the biggest bigotry in this story is coming from the "gay pride" side.

Well...wanting equality would indicate someone doesn't have it yet so technically it would indicate they in fact are different.

Can't even respond to the other comment because it makes absolutely no fucking sense.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:30 am

[quote="Nystyle709"]

wasnt trying to be ornery. Was stating a fact. I don't agree with someone infringing on one's rights, but i don't believe in double standards either. Whether pertaining to race or gender or sexual orientation, it is wrong.

I went to a gay pride parade in San Fran many years ago. It was wild to say the least. There were things done in public "in the name of gay pride" that if done at any other time would have caused one to be arrested. It is the same thing as the shirt incident. If one group of people can't do it, then another group should not be expected to get away with something--- THAT is equality.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:54 am

[quote="wants2laugh"]

Equality is providing the same opportunities for everyone to achieve success, to live peacefully and to be treated with respect....it does not mean you should forgo who you are and neglect your self-esteem in order to do so. We might be all the same biologically, but the fact of the matter is....we are all different, we come from different cultures and if one wants to celebrate their heritage and/or culture, they should be allowed to do so. You are a white woman, I am not. If I wanted to wear a "Black Pride" t-shirt, then it doesn't mean I'm trying to separate myself from anyone else. "White Pride" has never been oppressed and the only reason someone would wear such a shirt is to counteract that and to make a mockery of it and be condescending.
    Suzi
    Suzi
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 85

Post by Suzi Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:59 am

I like the double stuff cookies and that one has even more stuff ! I don't care if the cookie doesn't exist I want that cookie!

Last edited by Suzi on Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:13 pm

Nystyle709 wrote:

Equality is providing the same opportunities for everyone to achieve success, to live peacefully and to be treated with respect....it does not mean you should forgo who you are and neglect your self-esteem in order to do so. We might be all the same biologically, but the fact of the matter is....we are all different, we come from different cultures and if one wants to celebrate their heritage and/or culture, they should be allowed to do so. You are a white woman, I am not. If I wanted to wear a "Black Pride" t-shirt, then it doesn't mean I'm trying to separate myself from anyone else. "White Pride" has never been oppressed and the only reason someone would wear such a shirt is to counteract that and to make a mockery of it and be condescending.

co-signs I really don't understand why people think they're oppressed when others just want the same rights. The "white pride" "straight pride" shirts ARE just for the sake of mocking. And I'm saying this as a white straight woman. When it comes to "pride" people aren't saying they want to be separate (even though they've been treated as though they are) but that they are proud of who they are whether black or gay despite the efforts to make them feel inferior. Straight white people look ridiculous in these shirts because they have never been denied their rights because they are white or straight.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Post by CeCe Sat Jun 30, 2012 12:16 pm

Suzi wrote: I like the double stuff cookies and that one has even more stuff!I don't care if the cookie doesn't exist I want that cookie!

I would love to see them packaged with each cookie having a color of the rainbow. They would be pretty lol
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:33 pm

My understanding is that it's just a picture. Oreo's Gay Pride cookie 2517814472 Oh well. Now that Gay Pride Month is over, Oreo can return to its usual advertising campaign and orgs such as the American Family Association, The Family Research Council, etc., etc. can put away their hemorrhoid cushions and have a V8.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 4:02 am