CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+3
CeCe
Shale
Supernova
7 posters

Have you ever been injured from fireworks?

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Have you ever been injured from fireworks? Empty Have you ever been injured from fireworks?

Post by Supernova Tue Jul 03, 2012 3:48 pm

In one way or another. The first time was when I was 9, my brother and I were lighting smoke bombs and my punk went out and I went to light it when the flames shot out of the ball, but instead hot ashes spewed out of it like a volcano and landed square in the palm of my hand and on my knee and burnt clear through the pants I was wearing.

A few years later I got sick from smoke inhalation and I swear I swallowed a spark off of something because it burnt my throat clear down when I swallowed.

The year after that, I was getting away from the 300 firecrackers I had just lit when I tripped and fell down right by where they were exploding, and thought they were hitting me in the back, thankfully I was wrong and just wound up scratched and scraped as I crawled away from the explosion.

Anybody else have something happen to them in the process of setting off fireworks on the 4th?
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Have you ever been injured from fireworks? Empty Re: Have you ever been injured from fireworks?

Post by Shale Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:00 pm

Just once, I was holding a small firecracker that I thot was a dud because the wick was gone and it didn't go off. Then it went off between my fingers. Hurt and they were numb for a while. Just glad it wasn't a cherry bomb or I probably wouldn't be typing so well today.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Have you ever been injured from fireworks? Empty Re: Have you ever been injured from fireworks?

Post by CeCe Tue Jul 03, 2012 4:22 pm

No, I'm much more dangerous in the kitchen.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:12 pm

Nope
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Wed Jul 04, 2012 12:34 am

No
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:14 am

Yes. Jay let my son spend $40 on fireworks tonight. It gave this frugal mom heart palpitations.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:41 am

RedBedroom wrote:Yes. Jay let my son spend $40 on fireworks tonight. It gave this frugal mom heart palpitations.

It'd probably be a full blown attack if you were my mom, I spent about $250 on fireworks this year, as usual.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:53 am

Supernova wrote:

It'd probably be a full blown attack if you were my mom, I spent about $250 on fireworks this year, as usual.

I know how much you love them. My son is the same way. I don't know if it is just the average "young boy loves fireworks" or if he is someone who will always love them. I suspect it is the latter because he is so into it. He has already made diagrams on where he will set each off and penned a "schedule of events" for the order they will go.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:56 am

RedBedroom wrote:

I know how much you love them. My son is the same way. I don't know if it is just the average "young boy loves fireworks" or if he is someone who will always love them. I suspect it is the latter because he is so into it. He has already made diagrams on where he will set each off and penned a "schedule of events" for the order they will go.

laughing I don't take it that far, my mom and I just pick a bunch of stuff to take out and shoot off. But I guess it's the latter because I'm the same way, my mom always calls this my favorite holiday and with the debate if we'd be allowed fireworks or not this year, she said if the word came in we couldn't have them, she was going to hide out at her mom's house and let my dad and brother deal with my wrath. It's funny but I was thinking how, I'm born close to Halloween so I've always been very drawn to Halloween and all the spooky stuff, but I've also always been drawn to the 4th of July and the fireworks, so even though it's not possible it seems if I wasn't born close to Halloween I would've or should've been born close to Independence Day.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Wed Jul 04, 2012 1:59 am

No. And it's pretty retarded if you do.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:00 am

Nystyle709 wrote:No. And it's pretty retarded if you do.

And how do you figure that?
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:00 am

Today (July 3) is my mom's birthday. She never cared for fireworks.

Do you know what that new type of firework is that involves a type of "balloon" with a candle and it goes far up in the air like a hot air balloon?
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:04 am

Supernova wrote:

And how do you figure that?

You do know what a firework is right? If you'd follow directions and use common sense when lighting them...you wouldn't get injured. Anybody who lights a cherry bomb or an M-80 in their hands pretty much deserves to draw back a knub.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:06 am

RedBedroom wrote:Today (July 3) is my mom's birthday. She never cared for fireworks.

Do you know what that new type of firework is that involves a type of "balloon" with a candle and it goes far up in the air like a hot air balloon?

YES! They're called bags here, I guess it's a big deal now since they were shown in that Tangled movie, or something of the sort. But I'll tell you Red, I know they order these things in advance before they know what the weather's doing, but since we ARE in such a high fire risk and the winds are going to be 17 mph and the bags are NOT supposed to be used in winds above 5 mph, I think these have to be about the dumbest things made for the 4th of July.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:08 am

Nystyle709 wrote:

You do know what a firework is right? If you'd follow directions and use common sense when lighting them...you wouldn't get injured. Anybody who lights a cherry bomb or an M-80 in their hands pretty much deserves to draw back a knub.

Sounds simple but like most things the reality is not always that easy. I never touched individual firecrackers as a kid because I wouldn't take a chance on the wind picking up and them not being thrown far, but I still got injured, from other kinds of fireworks, from the kinds that fly in the air, or the ones that shoot out farther than you expect because if you haven't done certain ones before you don't know how far away you're supposed to be to make sure you don't get hit with anything. Or like the smoke grenades, no matter HOW far back you get, when these things explode you still get hit with the debris. And then you go into the matter of fireworks that do not work according to plan, some have delayed reactions and others are duds, and some you think they're done and then they explode out the other side.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:10 am

Supernova wrote:

YES! They're called bags here, I guess it's a big deal now since they were shown in that Tangled movie, or something of the sort. But I'll tell you Red, I know they order these things in advance before they know what the weather's doing, but since we ARE in such a high fire risk and the winds are going to be 17 mph and the bags are NOT supposed to be used in winds above 5 mph, I think these have to be about the dumbest things made for the 4th of July.

Thanks for the info, Super. Our neighbor was telling us about it, then we saw one at the track on Saturday and thought if they were cheap enough, we would get one. I think my dad would get a kick out of them if they are not too pricey. But I think we will wait. I am not huge into fireworks but thought that one Saturday was hella cool.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:12 am

Supernova wrote:

Sounds simple but like most things the reality is not always that easy. I never touched individual firecrackers as a kid because I wouldn't take a chance on the wind picking up and them not being thrown far, but I still got injured, from other kinds of fireworks, from the kinds that fly in the air, or the ones that shoot out farther than you expect because if you haven't done certain ones before you don't know how far away you're supposed to be to make sure you don't get hit with anything. Or like the smoke grenades, no matter HOW far back you get, when these things explode you still get hit with the debris. And then you go into the matter of fireworks that do not work according to plan, some have delayed reactions and others are duds, and some you think they're done and then they explode out the other side.

I've been lightning fireworks longer than you've been alive.....I've never gotten injured or even close to it. And I've done some crazy shit with fireworks. Common sense does prevail when you deal with them. And if a firework does have a delayed reaction, it would be common sense (depending on what it is) NOT to go near until it does what it's going to do.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:13 am

RedBedroom wrote:

Thanks for the info, Super. Our neighbor was telling us about it, then we saw one at the track on Saturday and thought if they were cheap enough, we would get one. I think my dad would get a kick out of them if they are not too pricey. But I think we will wait. I am not huge into fireworks but thought that one Saturday was hella cool.

They remind me of something our neighbor kids used a couple years ago. They had some kind of red hot air balloons they sent up, and we didn't know what they were...but it's funny because I read about when Ray Bradbury was a boy, at the 4th of July his grandfather or somebody also did some kind of red hot air balloon homemade firework, I guess some things truly never change.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:16 am

Nystyle709 wrote:

I've been lightning fireworks longer than you've been alive.....I've never gotten injured or even close to it. And I've done some crazy shit with fireworks. Common sense does prevail when you deal with them. And if a firework does have a delayed reaction, it would be common sense (depending on what it is) NOT to go near until it does what it's going to do.

So you've been shooting off fireworks for a minimum of 23 years and never had ANYTHING go wrong...well good for you, unfortunately such is not the case for everybody.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:23 am

Supernova wrote:

So you've been shooting off fireworks for a minimum of 23 years and never had ANYTHING go wrong...

Yep. Definitely not to the point of being injured. I'm smarter than that. cool

well good for you,

Thanks.

unfortunately such is not the case for everybody.

Sucks don't it? Dah well, such is life.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:25 am

Nystyle709 wrote:

Yep. Definitely not to the point of being injured. I'm smarter than that.

Obviously you never had a bomber plane change course upon takeoff and make a 90 degree turn so it comes right at you.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:28 am

Super, you will appreciate this story...there is a guy named Dave from my town I went to high school in. He is a guy who makes money all year long doing different things including a fireworks stand. This year, the town would not let him set out a sign on the highway for his stand a mile down the side road.

That' so shitty. A person could put up a sign on the same highway for a rummage sale, so why can't Dave do a sign for his three week long fireworks stand? They say it has to be a certain distance from the road, but the given distance would place his sign in the woods.

So, I am going to go over there tomorrow and talk to him and get enough info to hopefully be able to help him out for next year. People in that town just lie on their backs when it comes to the guy in charge.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female

Post by Nystyle709 Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:29 am

Supernova wrote:

Obviously you never had a bomber plane change course upon takeoff and make a 90 degree turn so it comes right at you.

Have you ever been injured from fireworks? 954338

Whatever you say dear. Keep rocking with them fireworks though. And try and stay out of the way. laughing
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:36 am

Nystyle709 wrote:

Have you ever been injured from fireworks? 954338

Whatever you say dear. Keep rocking with them fireworks though. And try and stay out of the way. laughing

That wasn't me.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Wed Jul 04, 2012 2:38 am

RedBedroom wrote:Super, you will appreciate this story...there is a guy named Dave from my town I went to high school in. He is a guy who makes money all year long doing different things including a fireworks stand. This year, the town would not let him set out a sign on the highway for his stand a mile down the side road.

That' so shitty. A person could put up a sign on the same highway for a rummage sale, so why can't Dave do a sign for his three week long fireworks stand? They say it has to be a certain distance from the road, but the given distance would place his sign in the woods.

So, I am going to go over there tomorrow and talk to him and get enough info to hopefully be able to help him out for next year. People in that town just lie on their backs when it comes to the guy in charge.

Oh stupid as hell, I don't know the actual distance but all along the highway are signs leading to the places selling fireworks, of course some don't advertise and just set up shop, I don't know if it's for the same reason but I don't think so. I think it's just a matter of these are the smaller businesses with the smaller stands and smaller inventories so they can't afford the ads like the bigger places do.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:09 pm