CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+4
Marc™
Alan Smithee
Nystyle709
Chris
8 posters

Six Flags Doesn’t Hire College Student Because of Dreadlocks

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

News Six Flags Doesn’t Hire College Student Because of Dreadlocks

Post by Chris Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:24 pm

http://loop21.com/life/six-flags-dreadlocks-fired-markeese-warner

Six Flags Doesn’t Hire College Student Because of Dreadlocks

Gerren K. Gaynor
    5 days ago

Six Flags Doesn’t Hire College Student Because of Dreadlocks Picture-2
    What a person can offer a company should supersede one’s hair.

One summer day, Markeese Warner journeyed to Six Flags in her home state of Maryland for a job interview with the amusement park’s food services. Warner, 21, like most college students was looking for a summer job to make some money before returning to Pennsylvania State University in the fall for her senior year. On the day of the interview, Warner wore a black business dress, a pair of flat shoes, with her hair pulled back in a ponytail. Professional as usual for any job interview.

But much to Warner’s disbelief, when she was called into the human resources office to be interviewed, she was told that she was in clear breach of a very strict employee policy.

The interviewer, a black woman with curly natural hair, told Warner that she could not continue the interviewing process because Six Flags Corporation has a policy against “extreme hairstyles,” which includes mohawks and, astonishingly, Warner’s dreadlocks. While Warner may have met every other requirement for the job, her hair was an apparent roadblock.

“I just smiled and I left,” Warner said. “It was mind blowing.”

Feeling defeated, Warner went back home to share what happened at Six Flags with her mother. Her mom, who also wears locks, was disturbed by the news. She decided to contact a family friend in Florida, Kwasi Abahu, about the incident. Abahu, 37, who is Rastafarian, wears dreadlocks. When he learned of Warner’s Six Flags rejection because of her hair, Abahu started a petition to bring awareness to the company’s policy, which he found to be discriminatory.

“I was kind of pissed off,” he said. “I couldn’t not react and not address it in some way.”

Abahu said he is no stranger to such rejection from employers. Having worn his dreadlocks for nearly 20 years, Abahu said his hair prevented him from securing jobs and opportunities he may have otherwise been afforded.

“When you walk through the door people see you,” he said. “Much like the Sikhs with a full beard and a turban on.”

That kind of judgement, he said, is very detrimental for those who choose to wear dreadlocks with distinct purpose. But even so, Abahu adds that what a person can offer a company should supersede one’s hair.

Six Flags Entertainment Company is not new to such controversy. The same Six Flags theme park in Maryland made headlines two years ago when reports revealed that at least two women were denied employment for having dreadlocks.

Abahu said there remains a negative stereotype that surrounds dreadlocks, which are commonly worn among religious groups in the African culture, and locks -- a term used for those who wear it as a style and not as a religious ornament. While dreadlocks and locks are most closely associated with the Rastafarian movement and predominantly worn as a style in the African-American community, it has also been worn by many ethnic groups throughout history -- though reasons for wearing dreadlocks varies from group to group.

Warner said her hair is a fundamental core of her identity.

“Before I locked my hair, I actually was going through a lot of trouble in high school,” Warner said. “I decided to lock my hair as a representation that I would stop and take school seriously and build my relationship with God.”

Warner said since she locked her hair, she has looked at life through a different lens and is doing quite well in college, where she majors in engineering. Her dream job is to work for Apple after graduation. Warner characterized Six Flags’ employee policy against dreadlocks as “sad.” Thankfully for Warner, she has since been hired as a waitress by a local restaurant in the Maryland area.

But Warner’s story has not fallen on deaf ears. The petition started by Abahu has been picked up by online advocacy group Change.org, which mobilizes grassroots causes through the use of online petitioning.

“In a country that purports itself to be the greatest ‘melting pot’ of social values and ideals, it’s time for Six Flags to stop its discriminatory policy by categorically refusing to employ people because of their natural hair,” reads a portion of the petition.

So far over 35,000 people have signed the petition in support of Warner. The petition goal is to reach 50,000 signatures.

“The stigma that comes with dreadlocks I realize cannot be erased by a petition,” Abahu said, “but I hope it in some way gives credence to the fact that work ethic and moral values go far beyond somebody’s hair style and appearance.”
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

News Re: Six Flags Doesn’t Hire College Student Because of Dreadlocks

Post by Nystyle709 Sun Jul 15, 2012 1:47 pm

In this day and age, people are still discriminating against locs? Shame on them. Anyone who discriminates against someone for wearing their natural hair should be slapped. Looks like Six Flags will no longer be the amusement park of choice for me.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Jul 15, 2012 3:54 pm

Shrugs (Oh well…) It's their corporate call. They'll change it when it hurts their bottom line. I'd have a bigger problem if they were excluding guests for having dreadlocks. I wouldn't not go for this reason. I wouldn't go for the $62.99 general admission ticket plus the $22 to park. Plus the price of food, etc. Besides, I'll bet Disney has the same employment policy.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:08 pm

Sounds like a lawsuit. The ACLU would be all over this.
    tmontyb
    tmontyb
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 37

Post by tmontyb Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:44 pm

I definitely think Six Flags of all places should not have that policy. It's quite ridiculous. I think a policy like that might be more appropriate for high level corporate jobs.

It's all about perception.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:43 am

Marc™ wrote:Sounds like a lawsuit. The ACLU would be all over this.

NO, not a violation of civil rights to have a dress code for employees in certain businesses that deal with the public.

And if a local chapter did take it up it would probably go as far as muslim women who want to cover their face on a drivers license. (Go back to Saudi Arabia bitch! Have the man who owns you drive the car.)

There are all sorts of dress codes. I could not get a job as a bag boy in the very large supermarket here in Florida for two reasons. I have a stud in my ear (women can but men cannot) and I have a beard. Neither of those have prevented me from any office or direct care jobs in the last 30 years.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:50 am

I tend to side with employers in situations where certain looks are favored. But I am really shocked that dreads of a seemingly professional looking young lady would be considered extreme hair. So, this story does piss me off.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:11 am

Un real.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Mon Jul 16, 2012 4:52 pm

tmontyb wrote:I definitely think Six Flags of all places should not have that policy. It's quite ridiculous. I think a policy like that might be more appropriate for high level corporate jobs.

It's all about perception.

It wouldn't be appropriate then either because 'true' dreadlocks are grown for religious purposes. It's illegal to discriminate against someone because of their religious beliefs in the workplace. True dreads are grown 'natty' or wild, so to speak. But most people who wear dreads now are wearing "fashionable" dreads. Meaning they spend the time to upkeep them and maintain a professional appearance. Dreads weren't meant to be "upkept." So there shouldn't be a problem. The girl in the picture, her dreads don't look too long, they're not that thick nor do they look like they would be a hindrance or a danger if she was required to do anything physical. She can put them up into a regular ponytail. I have a very good friend with dreads down to his ass and his locs are beautiful. He works in corporate America as a bank manager and he's never had a problem with them. Six Flags are just a bunch of bitches.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 11:31 pm