CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+4
Bluesmama
CeCe
Shale
Supernova
8 posters

Student loses 25 points on test for saying 'bless you' to sneezing student

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Student loses 25 points on test for saying 'bless you' to sneezing student Empty Student loses 25 points on test for saying 'bless you' to sneezing student

Post by Supernova Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:06 am

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/09/29/vacaville-students-lost-2_n_987930.html

So the first time a student says 'bless you', he loses 25 points out of 100 on his test, and the next day, EVERY student loses points. What the hell? Saying 'bless you' is not disruptive or 'interrupting learning time', what's disruptive is sneezing itself, depending on who's doing it it could sound like they have enough force to knock out a window, so maybe he should just flunk everybody who sneezes in class because whoever says 'bless you' or 'gesundheit' is hardly bothering anybody, in fact it's considered rude NOT to say those things after someone sneezes.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Student loses 25 points on test for saying 'bless you' to sneezing student Empty Re: Student loses 25 points on test for saying 'bless you' to sneezing student

Post by Shale Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:19 am

What can you expect from a place called "Cowville"

It sounds absolutely stupid on the teacher's part, but wait til the investigation. It could have been a reaction to a bunch of smart ass kids faking sneezes to disrupt the class and get on the teacher's nerves. KIDS DO THAT Y'KNOW.

When I was in school we had a hard-ass Army Reserve teach (tank corp) and we found out that armor piercing rounds get inside a tank and ricochet 50 times. In earshot of that teach we guys would often look around the room counting "45-46-47..." sometimes slumping silently before getting to 50. KIDS CAN BE CRUEL & INSENSITIVE.

So, it makes a sensational story, but may not be all there.

BTW, it annoys me when I sneeze and someone says "bless you." I never say it when ppl sneeze around me. So am I actually rude for not following the herd mentality or are others rude for drawing attention to an embarrassing bodily function.

(Can you say god bless you if someone farts?)
    blank stare @ you
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Student loses 25 points on test for saying 'bless you' to sneezing student Empty Re: Student loses 25 points on test for saying 'bless you' to sneezing student

Post by CeCe Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:27 am

It sounds like they probably were just being disruptive. But he handled it the wrong way. He's the adult & should be able to handle it like one. Knocking points off is not it & knocking off 25 points is outrageous.
    Bluesmama
    Bluesmama
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 43

Post by Bluesmama Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:17 pm

The whole school system in general has been degrading into worse challenges to motivate students as time goes on; deducting points/lowering grades for something like this is Darwin Award-stupid, cruel, and the man should be fired on the spot. I hate to think that a student who struggles harder than others to maintain decent grades has been discouraged over this moron.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Fri Sep 30, 2011 12:31 pm

Bluesmama wrote:The whole school system in general has been degrading into worse challenges to motivate students as time goes on; deducting points/lowering grades for something like this is Darwin Award-stupid, cruel, and the man should be fired on the spot. I hate to think that a student who struggles harder than others to maintain decent grades has been discouraged over this moron.

Totally, I think they've got it backwards, the students know more on how to be mature adults than the teachers do.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:15 pm

This does seem pretty chicken shit on the surface but this guy would have a real problem if my daughter was one of the students who were penalized for just being in the class and not using that "inflammatory" phrase.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Fri Sep 30, 2011 4:53 pm

Here's what I wonder, would he have done the same thing if somebody said 'gesundheit'?
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Sep 30, 2011 6:44 pm

I was all prepared to say that this is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard, but I read the article and it said that the teacher thought the students were doing it on purpose to be disruptive. Now these youngin's nowadays are juvenile like that, so if that is the case....I really can't blame the teacher. Although, there are other ways he could've handled it.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:09 pm

Supernova wrote:Here's what I wonder, would he have done the same thing if somebody said 'gesundheit'?

When someone says Goesintight to me I tell them "It used to."
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:41 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:

When someone says Goesintight to me I tell them "It used to."
    Wow! ROFLMAO!
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:37 am

Just more proof of how the school system is failing our children.
    AtownPeep
    AtownPeep
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 39

Post by AtownPeep Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:56 pm

Just dumb. If I were a parent of a child in that class, I'd go down to that school and tear the place apart.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 8:10 am