CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+4
Forgiveness Man
Shale
Alan Smithee
Chris
8 posters

Politicians religious affiliations

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Religion Politicians religious affiliations

Post by Chris Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:57 pm

Does a politicians religion, or religious affiliations, have any bearing on whether or not you'd be willing to vote for them?
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Religion Re: Politicians religious affiliations

Post by Alan Smithee Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:05 pm

That depends on if they made it clear that it was their intention to legislate others into conforming to their particular "morality".
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:10 pm

It may - depends on how batshit crazy they are in their religion.

I remember when Kennedy being Catholic was an issue. Now consider the Catholic church has power over many Catholics who actually follow whatever the Pope says and consider he is the head of a foreign nation and you can see why that would be a concern. Kennedy assured us that what the Pope said would not affect his decisions as POTUS (Yeah, he was one of 'those' kinda Catholics) so it was OK.

However, I am leery of Mormon, Scientology and other religions that are more batshit crazy than the usual ones.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Tue Jul 24, 2012 1:15 pm

I don't care what their affiliation is. I care what they will do once elected. I'd take an atheist who would do things that I believe would help the country over phonies like Nancy Pelosi who I feel would hurt the country.

Now, if a politician is religious and I believe they will help the country if elected, that might help solidify my support. And certain religious beliefs, IMO, could make a better politician. BUT, religious affiliation isn't a make or break for me.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:07 pm

Not really.
    Suzi
    Suzi
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 85

Post by Suzi Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:06 pm

I would be soooo happy if just once a politician would say "I'm an atheist", I'd vote for him in a heartbeat! The US and Canada are supposed to be guided by law not religions. These politicians who lead with their religion are to be avoided at all costs. Right now we have a religious fanatic in the office of Prime minister, he is trying to ruin the country, even has said when he is finished being prime minister we won't recognize Canada as the country it was. I like the country it was!
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:17 pm

No.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:48 pm

I dont have a problem with someone religion. I would even vote for a muslim if he/she was sincere in helping the country and making sensible decisions. If the person realizes that their own religion should not be forced onto others, i see no reason to not vote for them. I would love to see a TRULY religious person in office who loves his kids, does not cheat on his wife, treats his constituents as his own family when making decisions, and is not tempted by donations/lobbyists. They all tout that they are for family values and are religious, but rarely do any of them actually live up to the morals/values they claim to have. (Of course, I understand no one is perfect--- but whether it is clinton getting bjs, or some republican having sex in the men's room, I would rather these people realize that they are role models for our society.)
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:06 pm

@Wants2laugh: I agree. The problem is such people will never get elected. Let's be honest. America doesn't want somebody with moral integrity or honesty. We want somebody who's going to give us a lot of 'free' stuff and tell us that our pet causes are terrific and noble. (Well, at least the average person seems to want that anyway.) When somebody comes along who seems to actually want to do the right things and be a true LEADER, they get creamed. Don't get me wrong. I like the candidates I do vote for enough, and certainly prefer them to their mammoth government opponents. But the ideal guys just won't get far.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 2:35 am