CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

4 posters

Pit Bulls Still Illegal in Miami-Dade County

Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Pit Bulls Still Illegal in Miami-Dade County Empty Pit Bulls Still Illegal in Miami-Dade County

Post by Shale Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:54 am

I voted against repealing the ban. There is a bad history of these dogs being dangerous here in South Florida, and while I'm sure there are many docile pet pit bulls in families, the breed of dog was made for fighting and unfortunately, dog-fights are still an illegal entertainment for the low-life elements that inhabit Miami-Dade county.

The problem happens when one or more of these fighting dogs escape into the community and that is where the horror stories come from. They are unstoppable and deadly. Children and elderly have been attacked and killed by these dogs, so it is best to keep this breed illegal in this community.

As a bike rider I always dread encountering dogs in the street (which is also illegal but not enforced as it should be in Miami and other third world communities here). While the average 30-pound pooch attacking me on my bike is usually a nuisance that I can defend against, my dread is a Rottweiler, Doberman, German Shepherd or Pitt Bull. All those other large dogs can usually be reasoned with to back off but Pitt Bull Dogs that have been raised to fight will come at you.

So, glad to see that two thirds of the ppl here agree to keep these dangerous dogs illegal.

In Miami-Dade, pit bulls remain illegal

BY ELINOR J. BRECHER
    The Miami Herald
    Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Pit bulls are still outlaws in Miami-Dade County.

Voters overwhelming opted to keep a 1989 ban on American Staffordshire terriers, Staffordshire bull terriers and high-content mixes of both.

“The fight does not end here,’’ said Debi Day, an activist with No Kill Nation. “Plans B, C and D will go into effect immediately. We will not let the pit bulls and their owners be forever victim to this discriminatory law.’’

Dade residents voted 63.2 percent to 36.8 percent to keep the ban, which was first put in place when a dog ripped apart the face of a Kendall 8-year-old.

Repeal advocates waged a passionate grassroots campaign with the help of celebrities like Shorty Rossi, from the reality show “Pit Boss,’’ and Marlins pitcher Mark Buehrle, who settled in Broward after signing with the team because one of his family’s pets, Slater, is an American Staffordshire.

Dahlia Canes, founder of the Miami Coalition Against Breed-Specific Legislation, the group that spearheaded the ban repeal, was disappointed but not surprised.

“We didn’t think it would pass,’’ said Canes. “This was handed to us [by the County Commission] whether we liked it or not and we had to take up the challenge. We only had a few months to reeducate an entire county that has been brainwashed for 23 years.’’

In February, a group of Miami-Dade commissioners short-circuited what appeared to be a winning effort in the state legislature to abolish the ban, calling it an attack on the county’s home rule authority.

Canes also said that putting the words “pit bull’’ and “dangerous dog’’ in the same sentence in the ballot question all but doomed the effort.

Repeal advocates say that pit bulls suffer from unwarranted stereotyping as vicious killers with nearly supernatural powers of destruction, and that thousands live peacefully as family pets all over Miami-Dade despite the ban.

During the day Tuesday, repeal supporter posted pictures of their illegal dogs on the Coalition’s Facebook page with from-the-dog comments like: “I can’t wait to go to the dog park!’’ and “Waiting for the results so I can walk down the street for the first time in my 10 years of life. They say every dog has their day and today is my day!!’’

Miami-Dade Animal Services Director Alex Munoz said in a statement that the department “respects the will of the electorate and its decision to not repeal the ‘pit bull’ ban today.

“We want the public to know that while this ban continues, the department will continue to work withrescue organizations and adopters to find new lifelong homes for ‘pit bulls’ outside of Miami-Dade County.’’
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Pit Bulls Still Illegal in Miami-Dade County Empty Re: Pit Bulls Still Illegal in Miami-Dade County

Post by Tony Marino Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:08 am

I hope they continue to do so Shale.
    tmontyb
    tmontyb
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 37

Pit Bulls Still Illegal in Miami-Dade County Empty Re: Pit Bulls Still Illegal in Miami-Dade County

Post by tmontyb Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:28 am

I feel in the middle about this one. I understand people's fear of pit bulls, but on the other hand, they can be the sweetest most loving animals. I guess it truly comes down to how they are treated as puppies.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:36 am

I have always believed no dog can be 100 percent trusted. So, these dogs originally bred to be fighters are a very dangerous thing. Even the docile ones. You just never know.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 6:51 am