CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

3 posters

Resurfaced iconic Daily News Coney Island ‘cheesecake’ photo brings back memories of 50-year-long romance

Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

News Resurfaced iconic Daily News Coney Island ‘cheesecake’ photo brings back memories of 50-year-long romance

Post by Tony Marino Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:01 pm

Resurfaced iconic Daily News Coney Island ‘cheesecake’ photo brings back memories of 50-year-long romance   Beach15n-1-web

Lois McLohon still remembers exactly what Coney Island looked like 60 years ago when she met a lifeguard who would became her husband and where she posed for a photo that captured an iconic moment at the seaside resort.

Now 78, McLohon was thrilled to see the picture, taken when she was 20 years old, resurface in the Daily News. The 1954 image brought back vivid memories of spending every weekend on the beach with her girlfriends and of meeting the love of her life, a chief lifeguard named Bob.

Bob and Lois were married just months before the photo was snapped.

"I was just strolling along the beach and I remember very clearly lying on the rocks and draping myself across the rocks," she told the Daily News. "Well, back then cheesecake was very popular," she joked.

McLohon had met Bob, dressed in his bright orange lifeguard uniform, through a somewhat blurry encounter in the summer of 1953. She lived in Brooklyn at the time and he was a sophomore at NYU.

"I was lying on a blanket and didn't have on glasses. I was staring at what appeared to be an orange blob and he \[Bob\] thought I was staring at him," she recalled.

"He sent a little boy over to ask if I wanted to have lunch, and that's how we met."

The couple raised three children through 50 years of marriage, eventually moving from New York City to Pennsylvania in 2000.

Ten years ago, Bob died of cancer.

Lois McLohon said they continued to relax at the beach through "our last years together," but she regrets not having photos of their later seaside adventures.

Even still, the memories of Coney Island in the ‘50s remain fresh.

"I see Coney Island in my mind as it existed over a half century ago. I can smell the salty air, feel the warm breeze," she said.

She also recalls seeing her "cheesecake" photo end up in the pages of the Daily News.

"I was working at the time, down on Wall Street and Front Street. Everybody read the Daily News back then," she said.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/brooklyn/lois-mclohon-resurfaced-iconic-daily-news-coney-island-cheesecake-photo-brings-back-memories-50-year-long-romance-article-1.1160457

Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

News Re: Resurfaced iconic Daily News Coney Island ‘cheesecake’ photo brings back memories of 50-year-long romance

Post by Nystyle709 Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:29 pm

Cool beans.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

News Re: Resurfaced iconic Daily News Coney Island ‘cheesecake’ photo brings back memories of 50-year-long romance

Post by Cheaps Mon Sep 17, 2012 5:58 pm

Cute

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 8:13 am