CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+5
Suzi
Alan Smithee
CeCe
Shale
Supernova
9 posters

People who believe alcoholism is genetic

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

People who believe alcoholism is genetic Empty People who believe alcoholism is genetic

Post by Supernova Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:00 am

Just curious if anybody here believes that idea that alcoholism is genetic and so if you are the child of alcoholics you're pretty much doomed to be one yourself. And exactly how far is that supposed to run down the line? Does it skip generations, is it only passed on when the parents actually drink and therefore activate their boozer genetic? What?
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

People who believe alcoholism is genetic Empty Re: People who believe alcoholism is genetic

Post by Shale Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:33 am

I think some studies show that some individuals have a physical disposition to be addicted to certain substances, but I don't know how that works out to being inherited.

I think it more likely that environment causes ppl to addict to substances they grow up around, tho my grandmother was an alcoholic and my mother and aunt were not. Also my grandmother kicked the habit (replaced it with Jesus).

I had an aunt on my father's side of the family who was a low-key beer alcoholic. (the worse kind because ppl don't consider being constantly buzzed on beer the same as laid out with distilled spirits). Our whole family were drinkers but not constant alcoholics, just the occasional drunk (been there done that in my youth).
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

People who believe alcoholism is genetic Empty Re: People who believe alcoholism is genetic

Post by CeCe Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:37 am

Shale wrote:I think some studies show that some individuals have a physical disposition to be addicted to certain substances, but I don't know how that works out to being inherited.

I think it more likely that environment causes ppl to addict to substances they grow up around,

co-signs
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:09 pm

I've had several blood relatives that I think qualified as alcoholics and I don't have a drinking problem. Unless I can't get a drink. Shrugs (Oh well…)
    Suzi
    Suzi
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 85

Post by Suzi Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:11 pm

Well I had 2 uncles, one aunt and a father who were all alcoholics and yes the it is in the genes. Only one of my grandmothers 5 kids was not an alcoholic. I too am an alcoholic but fortunately I caught it soon enough that it didn't kill me or ruin my marriage. It is pretty simple really I simply do not take that one drink and haven't for 20 years. Booze is much harder on women than it is on men that is a fact too. People aren't doomed of course, but need to know that it certainly can be them too if family members are alcoholics. One cousin of mine whose father was an alcoholic lost one son to alcohol, and has a daughter who is an alcoholic. The cousin herself didn't drink much herself until after her husband died, where upon she turned to vodka, expensive vodka at that. Neither of our grandparents was but I feel fairly sure someone behind them was a drunk.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:21 pm

Congratulations on your sobriety, Suzi.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Tue Sep 18, 2012 1:24 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:Congratulations on your sobriety, Suzi.

co-signs big hugz
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:35 pm

It could be. I've known people with alcoholism running in the family.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:41 pm

Nystyle709 wrote:It could be. I've known people with alcoholism running in the family.

That's just because their family drives them to drink with all that running around. big grin
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:21 pm

Well my mother grew up with two of the biggest alcoholics of the post-war boom and she has never touched a drop of alcohol in her life. Then she had me who waited until my 21st birthday to have my first drinks of champagne. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems to me if you were genetically meant to be a drunk, you would be hardwired by your family's biology to hit the bottle instead of never going near it.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:31 pm

It may be...My grandfather was a really bad alcoholic, been sober for almost 15 years now. One of my aunts and uncles are alcoholics as well. But my mother was never one to drink like that. Who knows. Shrugs (Oh well…)
    Suzi
    Suzi
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by Suzi Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:20 am

Supernova wrote:Well my mother grew up with two of the biggest alcoholics of the post-war boom and she has never touched a drop of alcohol in her life. Then she had me who waited until my 21st birthday to have my first drinks of champagne. Maybe I'm wrong but it seems to me if you were genetically meant to be a drunk, you would be hardwired by your family's biology to hit the bottle instead of never going near it.
    If your mother never even tried an alcoholic drink you really can't know if alcoholism was passed on to her, she never gave it a chance. That's the whole AA approach to booze, one chooses not to drink that day. So if you only knew me for the past 20 years you would think I never had a drink in my life too. Then not every child of an alcoholic becomes one , but the risk is there.

I had my first champagne for my 21st birthday and hated it. I never had any problem turning down wines or hard liquors. But I sure loved beer!
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:23 am

Suzi wrote:
    If your mother never even tried an alcoholic drink you really can't know if alcoholism was passed on to her, she never gave it a chance. That's the whole AA approach to booze, one chooses not to drink that day. So if you only knew me for the past 20 years you would think I never had a drink in my life too. Then not every child of an alcoholic becomes one , but the risk is there.

I had my first champagne for my 21st birthday and hated it. I never had any problem turning down wines or hard liquors. But I sure loved beer!

However, consider the fact that when my mother was born, all mothers smoked and drank when they were pregnant, there were no warnings about it, and today we look at babies who are born addicted to drugs because their mothers took them while pregnant. And yet somehow a lot of these people who were born in the 50s, the whole time they were developing inside, their mothers were drinking like fish, but they sure as hell didn't come out already addicted to booze, why is that?
    Suzi
    Suzi
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by Suzi Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:43 am

I'm not here to argue the facts with you, it is well known that the children of alcoholics are much more apt to become alcoholics. Do they all? No and we don't know why. Fortunately I had many years when I didn't drink at all and those just happened to be the years I was having my babies, I was so damn lucky because as you said we were never told not to drink or smoke. If you have even seen a child with FAS you would say that it is a good thing they didn't come addicted too. Drugs at that time we had heard of but we wouldn't have known where to find any, that was left to the bums on skid row.

Last edited by Suzi on Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:43 am; edited 1 time in total
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Wed Sep 19, 2012 10:43 am

Nope I don't think so.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Wed Sep 19, 2012 12:36 pm

It runs in my family, and I've had brushes with OOC drinking myself. Fortunately, it hasn't effected my immediate family and I, myself, generally know when to stop.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 2:21 pm