CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+6
RobbieFTW
RedBedroom
MandyPerfumeGirl
TSJFan4Ever
Supernova
Marc™
10 posters

"Evil"....Genetic or Learned?

Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

"Evil"....Genetic or Learned? Empty "Evil"....Genetic or Learned?

Post by Marc™ Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:38 pm

Do you think an evil spirit (and by "evil spirit", I basically mean somebody who is exceptionally problematic and nefarious in temperament) is genetic or learned/environmental? Some argue this is mental illness, but I question that....
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

"Evil"....Genetic or Learned? Empty Re: "Evil"....Genetic or Learned?

Post by Supernova Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:42 pm

I don't think it's genetic because if it was, my mother would be one hell of a mean person and she is the exact opposite.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:27 pm

I would say that in the very rare case, yes, but for the most part, it is a learned behaviour. In one daycare I worked in, there was a 4 year old who was pure evil and an 11 year old. With both kids, there was something seriously wrong with this child. There was no history of abuse that we knew of, though with the four year old, his Mom was a twit and with the 11 year old, his parents were clueless and total idiots. These kids had eyes that looked dead. They're what a friend of mine calls flat-liners. With both of these kids, it was like there was something missing. They were incapable of empathy and delighted in hurting others and causing pain and misery. Co-workers called them sociopaths and we all said it was only a matter of time before they killed someone. I've worked with hundreds of kids, though, many with behavioural issues, but these are the only two that I would say were born with something seriously wrong with them.
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 26

Post by MandyPerfumeGirl Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:11 pm

I think it's a combination of something gone wrong in the brain and what's going on around them. I think everyone's first image of evil is Hitler and you couldn't possibly say there wasn't something wrong with his brain.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Sun Feb 06, 2011 2:17 am

However, I don't believe people are born evil. Now, I had a neighbor kid who was the poster child for evil incarnate, when he was 2 years old his mother was babysitting and when nobody was looking, he beat the baby between the eyes with a flashlight because he was jealous of the attention it was getting...now, could this be something that was just festering up inside of him since he was born? Perhaps, but to look at his family is to know where he learned ALL the crap he pulled.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:13 am

I don't know...I think it goes both ways. I truly don't believe that nobody is born predispositioned to be evil.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:15 am

I don't believe anybody is born good OR bad, they learn it all, then it becomes a matter of what they do with what they've learned.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:22 am

Supernova wrote:I don't believe anybody is born good OR bad, they learn it all, then it becomes a matter of what they do with what they've learned.

Nah, there are too many people who do some really bad things, yet they were born into a good family and just turned.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:50 am

MandyPerfumeGirl wrote:I think it's a combination of something gone wrong in the brain and what's going on around them. I think everyone's first image of evil is Hitler and you couldn't possibly say there wasn't something wrong with his brain.

Yeah - with both of these kids, it's like they were wired wrong form birth. They also had permissive parents who enabled them. I think with psychopaths and sociopaths, they're wired wrong from birth. Intense therapy and support might change their path, but I really don't know.
    RobbieFTW
    RobbieFTW
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.
    …is Being Fitted For a Crown.

Male
    Rep : 145

Post by RobbieFTW Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:57 am

I think some kids might have a higher propensity for evil but SOMETHING probably "qualified" it to make it stick.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Sun Feb 06, 2011 4:59 am

Can be a little bit of both.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Sun Feb 06, 2011 8:10 am

I haven't read that science has discovered anything definitive but there's so much about the human brain that we don't understanad. There is this though:

Experiments with lab animals continue to offer fascinating insight into the links between aberrant behavior and genes. Just last year, researchers at Johns Hopkins University found that the absence of a single gene in mice can turn them into vicious, over-sexed killers. As reported in Nature, mice raised without the gene needed to make nitric oxide, an important brain chemical, exhibited such violent and antisocial behavior that they had to be separated from the normal group. Scientists speculate that nitric acid may act on serotonin, another brain messenger that is widely believed to act as an inhibitor against aggression in humans.

Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:31 am

I think somebody may be born with some genetic tendencies for bad behavior. However, bad behavior is largely learned. And by adulthood, it is a choice people make.
    Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Post by Jason B. Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:05 am

Forgiveness Man wrote:I think somebody may be born with some genetic tendencies for bad behavior. However, bad behavior is largely learned. And by adulthood, it is a choice people make.

Yeah that.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:38 pm