CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+2
CeCe
Alan Smithee
6 posters

Banana Boat Recalls Sunscreen After Some Users Catch on Fire

Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Banana Boat Recalls Sunscreen After Some Users Catch on Fire Empty Banana Boat Recalls Sunscreen After Some Users Catch on Fire

Post by Alan Smithee Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:08 pm

I'm sorry to laugh at other people's misfortune but... LMAO!

WASHINGTON (AP) - The maker of Banana Boat sunscreen is recalling some of its spray-on products after reports that a handful of people have caught on fire after applying the lotion and coming in contact with an open flame.

Energizer Holdings (ENR) said Fridaythat it is pulling 23 varieties of UltraMist sunscreen off store shelves due to the risk of the lotion igniting when exposed to fire.
    The recall includes aerosol products like UltraMist Sport, UltraMist Ultra Defense and UltraMist Kids.

A company spokesman said there have been five reports of people suffering burns after using the sunscreen in the last year. Four burn cases were reported in the U.S. and one in Canada.

More than 20 million units have been sold since UltraMist launched in 2010, the spokesman said.

Energizer said in a statement that the problem appears to be caused by UltraMist's spray valve, which is over applying the product. As a result the lotion is taking longer to dry, which raises the flammability risk.

"If a consumer comes into contact with a flame or spark prior to complete drying of the product on the skin, there is a potential for the product to ignite," the company said.

UltraMist's label warns users: "Do not use in the presence of a flame or spark. Keep away from sources of ignition - no smoking."

But dermatologists say most people don't read such labels.

"So many people put this on outside, while they're on their way to activities, so I just don't think people are aware of that," said Dr. Michele Green, a dermatologist at New York's Lenox Hill Hospital.

Green said aerosol sunscreens have become popular in recent years because they're faster and easier to apply, but not necessarily more effective.

"I think the old-fashioned creams apply better and seem to protect you better - the sprays just don't seem to work as well," Green said.

The company said it has notified the Food and Drug Administration about the voluntary recall.

Consumers who purchased the products are being told not to use them. More information is available from the manufacturer at 1-800-SAFESUN.

Burn experts said Friday the problem appears to be extremely rare.

"We've found no evidence of this happening before the incidents that came to our attention," said Dan Dillard, executive director of the Burn Prevention Network. Dillard's group was contacted earlier in the year about two burns related to UltraMist. One case involved a man who was standing near a barbecue grill, the other case involved a woman working with welding equipment. Both cases resulted in second and third degree burns.

Dillard pointed out that the ingredients used in aerosol sprays are known to be flammable.

"The alcohol and petroleum products listed on the containers are flammable, so the only thing you're missing in the heat triangle is an ignition source," Dillard said.

This stuff is supposed to prevent burns.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Banana Boat Recalls Sunscreen After Some Users Catch on Fire Empty Re: Banana Boat Recalls Sunscreen After Some Users Catch on Fire

Post by CeCe Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:21 pm

Scratching Banana Boat off my list... Shocked
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Banana Boat Recalls Sunscreen After Some Users Catch on Fire Empty Re: Banana Boat Recalls Sunscreen After Some Users Catch on Fire

Post by Tony Marino Mon Oct 22, 2012 1:46 pm

Good Grief.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Tue Oct 23, 2012 12:25 am

LOL.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Tue Oct 23, 2012 10:41 pm

wow
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:33 am

Glad I don't use sunscreen. Blue Cool
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:05 am

Shale wrote:Glad I don't use sunscreen. Blue Cool

I know you think your tan gives some protection against harmful UV rays. Studies have shown that to be true. Those same studies, however, determined that the process of getting one, i.e. exposing your skin to direct sunlight are carcinogenic. So you've sort of closed the barn door after the horse got out. You've already damaged your skin through the process of trying to protect it.

To the tune of "The Needle and the Damage Done" by Neil Young

I caught you lying on a blanket down at the shore
    I like ya man, you shouldn't do no more
    Ooh, ooh, the damage done.

Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:29 am

Doug Piranha wrote:

I know you think your tan gives some protection against harmful UV rays. Studies have shown that to be true. Those same studies, however, determined that the process of getting one, i.e. exposing your skin to direct sunlight are carcinogenic. So you've sort of closed the barn door after the horse got out. You've already damaged your skin through the process of trying to protect it.

Actually, I have followed these various studies over the years and the consensus opinion is that what has damaged my skin were all those summer sunburns that I got as a child growing up in the midwest. Take a lily white boy out of his winter clothes and let him spend a day playing shirtless in the July sun til he blisters and the skin peels off. Parents - NOT RECOMMENDED. But who knew in the '50s about long-term effects of UV exposure.

So, I should have clarified in my statement about not using sunscreen that I maintain my protective tan by small increments of UV exposure - I do not stay more than 2 hours at the beach. If I do, I cover up.

Does Sunscreen Really Prevent Skin Cancer?
    By Laura Blue
    Time.com
    Aug. 05, 2009

You’d be surprised. There’s a difference between preventing sunburn and preventing other types of skin damage. Some sunscreens can do both, but others can’t.

Sun damage, as you may have heard, is caused by exposure to ultraviolet rays, or UV rays. Sunscreen manufacturers generally talk about two different kinds of UV — UVA and UVB — and both of them are implicated as causes of skin cancer. But don’t be fooled. The ubiquitous labels about SPF, or sun protection factor, really just refer to a sunscreen’s ability to protect against burning, which it turns out is mostly caused by UVB. (You can find out more about all this from the American Academy of Dermatology.) Doctors’ groups now recommend you buy a broad-spectrum sunscreen that specifically states it will protect against both UVA and UVB radiation.

I strolled over to my local drugstore earlier this afternoon to see how the products fared. Almost all of them did offer UVA and UVB protection. But not all of them. Turns out we still need to read the labels.

In recent years you may have also heard a rumor that sunscreen can in fact cause skin cancer. Most of these rumors appear to be either myths or mistakes, with only the flimsiest of evidence behind them. But there is one especially compelling argument on this front: it seems that wearing sunscreen — and avoiding sunburn — encourages users to stay in the sun for longer than they should. A study in the British Journal of Cancer in 2000 found that holiday-goers who were given SPF-30 sunscreen spent more time in the sun and actually had greater daily UVB exposure than holiday-goers who were just given SPF-10 sunscreen. People were lulled into a false sense of security because they hadn’t burned. Remember, no sunscreen blocks all rays. So even when you’re not feeling the sun’s effects, you’re still experiencing some of them.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:21 pm

In search of the safe suntan
    For years, the official word on tanning has been…don’t. Health organizations have driven home the message that even if we think a suntan looks healthy, it’s not, and that the sun exposure needed to get the tan increases your chances of getting skin cancer.

Researchers at the Harvard-affiliated Dana-Farber Cancer Institute in Boston have conducted a series of experiments that put tanning in a different light. A suntan, they say, is the body’s best effort to fend off the known cancerous effects of ultraviolet (UV) light, the invisible portion of the light spectrum that comes in short, energy-packed wavelengths that penetrate the skin and mutate DNA.

The Harvard researchers are emphatically on the side of sunscreen and avoidance of excessive sun or other UV exposure. But they’re also looking for ways to harness the “tanning pathway” that might give fair-skinned people the protective benefits of having a tan without going through the hazards of getting one.

How we tan
    The conventional wisdom about how a suntan comes about has been that when UV light strikes cells in the skin called melanocytes, the cells produce the brownish-black pigment called melanin, which darkens the skin. So while a tan itself wouldn’t cause cancer, it’s a sign of UV exposure that almost certainly does.

But all along there’s been some confusion, because it’s well documented that people with dark skin, as well as those who tan easily, are less likely to get skin cancer than fair-skinned people. If a tan signals possible skin damage, why is it also associated with a lower risk of skin cancer? Might a tan be protective?

Experiments have shown that tanning is a more circuitous process than previously thought. It starts when UV light provokes keratinocytes, the main cells of the upper epidermis, to release hormones that stimulate melanocytes, which lie deeper in the skin than the keratinocytes. The melanocyte-stimulating hormones latch onto receptors located on the melanocytes, more or less putting the key into the ignition of melanin production. But rather than hoarding the pigment, the melanocytes selflessly send much of it back to the keratinocytes, creating a tan.

When the melanin enters a keratinocyte, it concentrates over the nucleus — where the DNA, the cell’s genetic material, is located. “It actually collects on the sun-facing side of the cell,” notes Dr. David Fisher, director of the Melanoma Program in Medical Oncology at Dana-Farber. “We don’t fully understand the mechanisms at work…but under a microscope, the pigment forms into these super-efficient little umbrellas protecting the nuclei.” That protection from UV light may prevent mutations that could result in skin cancer.

“The trigger for tanning — UV radiation — is absolutely damaging and absolutely carcinogenic,” continues Dr. Fisher, noting that the protection afforded by melanin is not absolute. “But tanning itself appears to be an adaptive response to harmful stress.”

Tan for the tanless
    That’s the story of tanning, but what about people who don’t tan? Dr. Fisher’s lab and others have conducted experiments that suggest the melanocytes of redheads (who are nontanners) have a variant form of an important receptor. When melanocyte-stimulating hormones bind to those receptors, melanocytes don’t produce the dark melanins that give people a tan. So, instead, the skin cells are left with melanin that’s reddish yellow in color and — unlike the darker melanins — this version seems to offer little in the way of protection against UV radiation.

Dr. Fisher and his colleagues decided to find out whether it might be possible to work around the receptor that doesn’t produce dark melanin. He treated red-haired lab mice (a model for humans who don’t tan) with a topical preparation known to raise levels of the next compound in the tanning pathway. It worked. Without any UV exposure the mice tanned a deep, dark brown. Moreover, their tans had all the protective characteristics of a regular, UV-induced tan.

The upshot
    So, if tans are protective, should we toss our SPF 45 and become sun worshippers? Definitely not. The only safe tan would be one produced by activating the skin’s tanning process without running the risk of the DNA damage that occurs with exposure to UV light, either naturally from the sun or artificially at a tanning salon.

But should easy, dark tanners seek out a tan for its protective value? The answer is no, because the UV light needed to get that tan can cause skin cancer. It’s unclear if truly safe UV exposure can ever be achieved.

For now, your best bet is to avoid excessive UV light exposure — especially if you’re blond or redheaded and don’t tan well, but also if you do. And use sunscreen. It protects against sunburn — and severe sunburn is thought to be a risk factor for melanoma. The protective value of any sunscreen depends on how you use it and, in particular, whether you use enough. To get the full benefit, apply sunscreen before going outside, and use about two to three tablespoons for your whole body. You should also reapply sunscreen every two hours or after going in the water.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/fhg/updates/In-search-of-the-safe-suntan.shtml
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male

Post by Shale Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:51 pm

So, pretty much don't spend enuf time in the sun to burn, just pickup enuf UV to keep ur tan up so you don't burn and hope your cells don't mutate.

But sun exposure has evolved with us and most of us darker ppl are attuned to it. In my research on the effects of sun bathing there is the benefit side to the risks and has been borne out demografically.

Men in the south tend to have more skin cancers, which is expected seeing as they get more sun exposure. But, men in the south also have less prostate cancer because a certain type of Vitamin D, the type that is produced ourselves in sunlight is a preventive for that.

Also, a disease called rickets was almost a thing of the past due to Vitamin D reinforced milk and foods, but it has become more common among kids whose parents freak out about the sun exposure and cut it all off. Again, natural Vitamin D seems to work better than the supplements.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Wed Oct 24, 2012 6:21 pm

Shale, by all means continue with your tanning if that's your thing. (You're too old to change anyway Wink)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 7:07 am