CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

5 posters

Mom challenges school sunscreen ban after daughters severely burned

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

News Mom challenges school sunscreen ban after daughters severely burned

Post by Supernova Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:16 pm

http://todayhealth.today.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/06/25/12397171-mom-challenges-school-sunscreen-ban-after-daughters-are-severely-burned#comments

You need a doctor's note for kids to be allowed to bring sunscreen to school? All the time it becomes more and more obvious why homeschooling gets more popular every single year, common sense is dead in the public system.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

News Re: Mom challenges school sunscreen ban after daughters severely burned

Post by Shale Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:21 pm

Supernova wrote:You need a doctor's note for kids to be allowed to bring sunscreen to school? All the time it becomes more and more obvious why homeschooling gets more popular every single year, common sense is dead in the public system.
    co-signs

Saw this on the news last night and was outraged. She should get a lawyer and sue those idiots. They let the girls get burned and even hats aren't allowed altho it is a given for sun protection. What stupidity! The school officials need to get educated and a good lawsuit might do that for them.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:30 pm

Craziness.....
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:01 pm

When I saw this story on the morning news, my first reaction was to be totally against the school. But then after thinking about it, I realize the mom knew the daughters had sensitive skin, one having a case of albinism, so she should have had the needed doctor's note with proper instructions given to teachers and the principal.

There would be no way I would risk my children's sensitive skin like that. I didn't put sunscreen on my son before school, but I did when they would have field day. Because it is early in the year and is one of the first full days out in the sun.

I do not blame teachers for not wanting to apply sunscreen on a child. All it would take is for some kid to say something like, "Teacher rubbed sunscreen really close to my chest" for total outrage to break out over something innocent.

So, this mom needs to admit her mistake in all this and let it go and learn from it for coming years in school.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:37 pm

So, you need to pay BIG bucks for an UNNECESSARY visit to a doctor to apply an over the counter preventive for sunburn? That is ridiculous and the teacher should have noticed any blonds much less an albino kid and insisted they be protected from the sun - that is assuming the teacher had any COMMON SENSE or even compassion for the protection of a child in their care. She didn't have to apply it, the kids were smart enuf to do that themselves - the school as I understood prevented them from taking precautions for their health.

I think it should go to court to find out who was culpable.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:27 pm

Shale wrote:So, you need to pay BIG bucks for an UNNECESSARY visit to a doctor to apply an over the counter preventive for sunburn? That is ridiculous and the teacher should have noticed any blonds much less an albino kid and insisted they be protected from the sun - that is assuming the teacher had any COMMON SENSE or even compassion for the protection of a child in their care. She didn't have to apply it, the kids were smart enuf to do that themselves - the school as I understood prevented them from taking precautions for their health.

I think it should go to court to find out who was culpable.

This wasn't a new skin condition. She should have gotten the doctor's note at the appointment they needed to enter school for a physical. Certainly the doctor who told them she has a form of albinism would have written a note at any time, less an expensive office visit.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:52 pm

RedBedroom wrote:

This wasn't a new skin condition. She should have gotten the doctor's note at the appointment they needed to enter school for a physical. Certainly the doctor who told them she has a form of albinism would have written a note at any time, less an expensive office visit.

It's called common sense, you take kids out into the sunlight for several hours without sunscreen, they are GOING to get burnt. If a PARENT let their child get that red, people would be screaming abuse, take her away, lock the mother up, etc., but if a school does it because of their stupid policy, it's the parent's fault still for not getting a note to tell the school to put sunscreen on a child who's going to be outside all day? Geez, next schools are going to need notes from doctors reminding them to breathe. Of course it would be much simpler if the parents could just send sunscreen with the kids for the trip, but I'm sure that wouldn't be allowed either, because we can't trust home meals because they're not as healthy as chicken nuggets so we sure as hell can't trust sunscreen sent from home either, can we?
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Mon Jun 25, 2012 11:02 pm

So you are saying the mom has no culpability in this? This isn't just a sunburn. It is a sunburn on kids with sensitive skin. That's her job to protect them and follow the school's protocol in doing so.

I am not saying it's all right...it is nutty parents with their lawsuits and such for over the counter shit being shared with friends. God Bless the school who lets kids apply their own sunscreen only to have said kids share the sunscreen with a kid who is sensitive to the perfumes or dyes in it...that's a lawsuit right there.

Do you think it is easy or fun for a busy parent to have to go through shit just to send her son to school with cough drops? No, it's not. But today's litigious society dictates it. It's not the school's fault.

Geez, next schools are going to need notes from doctors reminding them to breathe.

Really? I know you are anti-school, but do realize that not everybody can or wants to home school? The nature of the beast is parents have to okay every little detail in a school. As a parent of a child attending public school, I don't like it. But I can guarantee you I would take every precaution if my son's skin was extra-sensitive to the sun. This mom did not take EVERY precaution.

Yeah, the burns were bad. But if my child was susceptible to such sunburn, I would apply it in the morning of field day even if it was raining in the morning. In fact, in spring, they would have it on every day just for recess. One of the girls had on a tank top. Come on...what parent puts their kid in a tank top on field day when they have sun exposure issues?
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Tue Jun 26, 2012 12:33 pm

RedBedroom wrote:

I am not saying it's all right...it is nutty parents with their lawsuits and such for over the counter shit being shared with friends. God Bless the school who lets kids apply their own sunscreen only to have said kids share the sunscreen with a kid who is sensitive to the perfumes or dyes in it...that's a lawsuit right there.

Well what about if the school sends notices to all parents that on days when their kids will be going on field trips, to supply a bottle of sunscreen for their child and their child only? That way everybody has the kind they need and that they can use without any problems, because I've seen children who do NOT have burn issues or sensitive skin turn lobster red after a few hours outside in the sun, if it can happen to normal kids and they need protection too, certainly it can happen to albino children, but they ALL need to be protected from burns.
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Wed Jun 27, 2012 12:11 am

Ridiculous. Sun screen is just another kind of lotion. Is there a ban against that too?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 8:06 am