CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

3 posters

"Anatomy of a Murder" (1959)

CaffeinePlease
    CaffeinePlease
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female
    Rep : 4

"Anatomy of a Murder" (1959) Empty "Anatomy of a Murder" (1959)

Post by CaffeinePlease Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:10 pm

Hi Everybody,

I think my only complaint about this film is that it's too long - other than that, it's a really, really good film to watch. Good performances by all the main players (Jimmy Stewart, Ben Gazzara, Lee Remick, George C. Scott, Eve Arden and, er, the guy who played Mr. McCarthy.) It's an ambiguous film and Paul Biegler (Stewart) is trying to free Frederick Manion (Gazzara) using the insanity plea after he murders the man who raped his wife (Remick). It used a lot of controversial language back then like "rape", "slut", and "bitch".

Has anyone else seen this? What did you think?

My grade: A-
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

"Anatomy of a Murder" (1959) Empty Re: "Anatomy of a Murder" (1959)

Post by Supernova Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:31 pm

I love this movie. I read that James Stewart's father actually took an ad out in his local newspaper telling people not to see it because it was quote 'a dirty movie', my how the times have changed.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:37 pm

Indeed we have. Please allow me to offer suggestion if I may. At the very top of the page you should see headings such as Home, portal, Calendar, Search. I find Search to be pretty handy to see if a topic may have already been started. Especially in the Film Chamber. I like to use "Advanced Search" to look in a particular forum instead of the whole Chamber. Don't worry, there are no penalty points for repeating anything Wink

Here's something Supernova started

http://www.conversationchamber.com/t7343-anatomy-of-a-murder?highlight=anatomy+of+a+murder

PS - The top line is also a good place to check to see if anyone may have sent you a private message big grin
    CaffeinePlease
    CaffeinePlease
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female

Post by CaffeinePlease Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:56 pm

Supernova wrote:I love this movie. I read that James Stewart's father actually took an ad out in his local newspaper telling people not to see it because it was quote 'a dirty movie', my how the times have changed.

Certainly! That is cuh-razy!
    CaffeinePlease
    CaffeinePlease
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female

Post by CaffeinePlease Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:59 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:Indeed we have. Please allow me to offer suggestion if I may. At the very top of the page you should see headings such as Home, portal, Calendar, Search. I find Search to be pretty handy to see if a topic may have already been started. Especially in the Film Chamber. I like to use "Advanced Search" to look in a particular forum instead of the whole Chamber. Don't worry, there are no penalty points for repeating anything Wink

Here's something Supernova started

http://www.conversationchamber.com/t7343-anatomy-of-a-murder?highlight=anatomy+of+a+murder

PS - The top line is also a good place to check to see if anyone may have sent you a private message big grin

Thanks for the tip Alan, I'll be sure to search a subject before posting in the movie section! Just Dance
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:21 pm

One of my favorite things about this movie is that they got Joseph Welch to play the judge. Mr. Welch is the one who stood up to the monster Joseph McCarthy on national TV.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 9:22 am