CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+6
RedBedroom
CaffeinePlease
wants2laugh
Forgiveness Man
CeCe
Supernova
10 posters

Would you let your son dress up as a witch for Halloween?

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Would you let your son dress up as a witch for Halloween? Empty Would you let your son dress up as a witch for Halloween?

Post by Supernova Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:25 pm

On IMDb, the "Roseanne" board is alive with the sound of idiots. Somebody brought up the Halloween episode where Dan made a big deal out of DJ dressing up as a witch because 'witches are girls'. And even today, just about everybody who has replied to the post say the same thing, THEY would not be okay with their sons dressing up as witches either. I say what the fuck is the big deal? It's Halloween, you're supposed to dress up in something fun and outrageous, and nobody EVER makes a big deal about girls dressing up in boys' costumes.

I mean it's not like nobody's ever heard about it. In the 1950s Disney cartoon Trick or Treat when Donald's nephews come trick or treating they are a ghost, a devil AND A WITCH, not a warlock, a broom carrying pointed hatted witch. And in Ray Bradbury's book The Halloween Tree, printed in the 70s, you have 8 boys in costumes: mummy, skeleton, gargoyle, bum, ape man, Druid, ghost AND WITCH. So if it was an acceptable idea in far less open minded times, why isn't it alright for kids to do it today? That's what I want to know.

So if it was you, would you be okay with it or not?
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Would you let your son dress up as a witch for Halloween? Empty Re: Would you let your son dress up as a witch for Halloween?

Post by CeCe Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:35 pm

If it was what he wanted to do Shrugs (Oh well…)
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Would you let your son dress up as a witch for Halloween? Empty Re: Would you let your son dress up as a witch for Halloween?

Post by Forgiveness Man Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:43 pm

We wouldn't be doing Halloween anyway so I guess we'd sidestep this one. lol
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:35 pm

Forgiveness Man wrote:We wouldn't be doing Halloween anyway so I guess we'd sidestep this one. lol

You got something against Halloween?
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:04 pm

yeah its fine.
    CaffeinePlease
    CaffeinePlease
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Female
    Rep : 4

Post by CaffeinePlease Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:16 pm

I agree. If a boy wants dress up as a witch for Halloween, I say go for it!
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:40 am

I would make sure it is what he wanted and if he was adamant about it, I wouldn't care.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:46 am

Halloween, like any masquerade allows one to express whatever they want in costume. Some big hairy str8 men have been seen in their version of drag (with quite unfeminine hairy chests & legs showing). It is all in fun and may even show a guy's security in their sexuality by being able to cross dress. (or it may be transvestitism - who cares?)
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:08 am

Shale wrote:Halloween, like any masquerade allows one to express whatever they want in costume. Some big hairy str8 men have been seen in their version of drag (with quite unfeminine hairy chests & legs showing). It is all in fun and may even show a guy's security in their sexuality by being able to cross dress. (or it may be transvestitism - who cares?)

It's the only time you'll ever catch me in a dress, that's for damn sure.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:13 am

Supernova wrote:It's the only time you'll ever catch me in a dress, that's for damn sure.

So, if you dressed like a boy on Halloween no one would notice? blank stare @ you
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Tue Oct 30, 2012 10:38 am

Shale wrote:

So, if you dressed like a boy on Halloween no one would notice? blank stare @ you

Depends on the costume. A couple weeks ago I went out in my Murdock costume, minus the blue cap, and nobody said one word.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:48 pm

Supernova wrote:

You got something against Halloween?
    Eh, yes and no. I consider it a "Class C" opposition. So it's not like I REALLY have this axe to grind with Halloween. I just don't really care for the modern approach to it. I suppose we'd probably do an alternative like I did as a kid. I still got plenty of candy, had plenty of fun, and got to dress up every year. But none of the modern secular Halloween stuff. It's just not really something I'm a part of. Nothing too serious. I'm not trying to get Halloween decs banned or anything like that. lol
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:36 pm

And what exactly is the 'modern' approach to it and how modern is it?
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Tue Oct 30, 2012 8:49 pm

Admittedly, I wouldn't be too keen on the idea, but I wouldn't tell him no.
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 127

Post by captainbryce Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:18 pm

Strange as it may seem, I actually agree with FM 100% on this one! Personally, I don't celebrate Halloween, and frankly I see no intrinsic value to this holiday whatsoever. I mean, if other people want to dress up and go to parties or trick-or-treating with their kids, that's fine. Different strokes for different folks. But it means absolutely nothing to me but an excuse to buy a bunch of shit, poison kids with candy, embrace violent and gory movies, worry about where your kids are going and for adults to suit up as an excuse to get drunk. I don't trust the "crazies" (who actually believe in witchcraft and ghosts and stuff) that come out during nights like Halloween to cause mischief. To me, it's much safer and much more convenient to just shut my light off and treat it like any other workday. I don't judge other people for participating in it (as I'm aware of the popularity of this "tradition"). I simply have no interest in it!
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female

Post by Supernova Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:22 pm

captainbryce wrote:Strange as it may seem, I actually agree with FM 100% on this one! Personally, I don't celebrate Halloween, and frankly I see no intrinsic value to this holiday whatsoever. I mean, if other people want to dress up and go to parties or trick-or-treating with their kids, that's fine. Different strokes for different folks. But it means absolutely nothing to me but an excuse to buy a bunch of shit, poison kids with candy, embrace violent and gory movies, worry about where your kids are going and for adults to suit up as an excuse to get drunk. I don't trust the "crazies" (who actually believe in witchcraft and ghosts and stuff) that come out during nights like Halloween to cause mischief. To me, it's much safer and much more convenient to just shut my light off and treat it like any other workday. I don't judge other people for participating in it (as I'm aware of the popularity of this "tradition"). I simply have no interest in it!

Well, I love the day, always have, some people suspect people who are born close to Halloween just have a natural love of the holiday, and maybe they're right, or maybe it's because I was early and was supposed to BE a Halloween baby, but it's always been lots of fun to me.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:52 pm

I'd raise an eyebrow, but I'd ultimately let him do it I guess....

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 19, 2024 3:55 am