CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+4
Alan Smithee
Supernova
wants2laugh
RedBedroom
8 posters

Al, have you been in line for gasoline yet?

RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Al, have you been in line for gasoline yet? Empty Al, have you been in line for gasoline yet?

Post by RedBedroom Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:49 am

I was thinking of you when watching the news this morning. Those lines are insane.

What are you guys doing at night to stay entertained? Hope things are going as well as possible for you and the family.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Al, have you been in line for gasoline yet? Empty Re: Al, have you been in line for gasoline yet?

Post by wants2laugh Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:41 pm

idk what its like up there, but down here (about an hour away) in NJ, we dont have any gas problems. Some stores do not have power, while the stores surrounding them do---its weird.

I do have friends who have no power and were told that it will be a week before it is back up. they are using friend's places... and there are actually people who are running extension cords out of their homes putting up signs "I have power, Feel free to charge phones etc" that is kinda neat.

U should see the backlash about changing Halloween tho-- its crazy!!! The towns wanted to move it to Saturday, the governor declared it Mon... and the parents are flipping out! no compassion anymore!
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Al, have you been in line for gasoline yet? Empty Re: Al, have you been in line for gasoline yet?

Post by RedBedroom Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:51 pm

It's so nice people are offering up some power. Too bad about the trick or treating...can't people realize that what has happened takes precedence over Halloween? Too bad for the kids, but at least they are rescheduling. Kids don't care what day it is.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by wants2laugh Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:01 pm

what amazes me is ppl's reactions. I have friends who will not have power for a week, and are cooking food on sterno because their range is electric. They are boiling water for bathing with it too. At the same time, there is a woman yelling that she does not know if her SHORE house survived, and she don't care about ppl's electric. Um... Its a SHORE house, meaning EXTRA house. My entire residential home was destroyed last year and will never be replaced nor the things in it. So ppl should be freakin happy and count their blessings. Not having electric is bad, but if that is all, then that is good. having a shore home destroyed is bad, but if u have another house, then that is good. SMH

There are places here that have been totally obliterated.. all u see are the foundations! It's just crazy. A man went outside to film the damage around his home, and while he was filming, u hear this loud noise.. he turns around an a tree falls on his car. just missed him. I have seen several videos like that floating around now. The trees are falling NOW after the flooding loosened the ground.

But never fear--- we postal workers are hard at work to get the mail out! lol The Trenton USPS Processing plant which handles most of central jersey is STILL without power. All of their mail is still being shipped to us. We are working 12hours a day to get it done.

One supervisor said that there are many postal employees that are unaccounted for. They have not reported nor called, and the supervisors are calling shelters and hospitals all day trying to locate ppl!
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:04 pm

wants2laugh wrote:At the same time, there is a woman yelling that she does not know if her SHORE house survived, and she don't care about ppl's electric. Um... Its a SHORE house, meaning EXTRA house. My entire residential home was destroyed last year and will never be replaced nor the things in it. So ppl should be freakin happy and count their blessings.

This is exactly what my mother was pointing out, for once the hurricane has affected rich people as well as everybody else. The ones who laughed at Katrina and didn't try to help the people there, well now they're being put in the same boat as everybody else, and it may not be the same thing as when normal/poor people lose everything, but for once they're being hit with it as well.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by wants2laugh Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:21 pm

someone does not have to be "rich" to have a shore house. Many places, such as Atlantic City, have an inner city poor section--- i feel really bad for them. And after hurricane Floyd in '99 ripped my roof off, the insurance company upped my "hurricane deductible" from $500 to $5000. And no other company would take me because of the size of the claim. So things go wrong and it is bad for everyone.. not just one group.

But pull together ppl, and count your blessings! The destruction here is unbelievable.

This is cape may NJ
    Al, have you been in line for gasoline yet? 317864_465979986778926_1439165757_n
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:41 pm

RedBedroom wrote:I was thinking of you when watching the news this morning. Those lines are insane.

What are you guys doing at night to stay entertained? Hope things are going as well as possible for you and the family.

My wife and daughter went out for gas last night. About a 90 min wait and the cops were on hand to make sure everyone was minding their P's & Q's. Neither have been to work all week because they're jobs are still closed. I've been bringing Ally's laptop to charge where I work so she has that in the evenings. Brought Deb's ereader to charge today as well. We cooked up the last of the meat in the freezer Wednesday and left two meals on the back porch overnight because it was more than cold enough. I brought them both to work and put them in our little frig here and bring one back home for supper. Parts of the township do have power back and we're in a fairly populated area some I'm hoping the lights come back on soon but nothings going to happen until we get a truck on our street. To fix the damage to the wires from a tree that fell. Fortunately the complex maintenance crew got that out of here days ago. When I get home at night Deb will come to the top of the stairs with a flashlight so I don't fall up the stairs.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by wants2laugh Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:02 pm

u have a nicw wife wonder how many r plotting to kill hubby blame the storm n collect insurance lol
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:04 pm

2,983. I checked.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:27 pm

Well, Al, it sounds like you guys are doing the best you can. I really hope you get power over the weekend. I don't think any of us who haven't been through something similar can begin to imagine what it's like to have no light or power at all at home. You are for sure in our thoughts.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by wants2laugh Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:41 pm

^^^ ditto. Al do u have water? mine keeps going on and off. I dont know if they are shutting it to fix a main somewhere else. It's weird.. and my net/cell phone keep going up and down... annoying as hell.

havent had tv all week, so all my info coming from the net
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:46 pm

Wants, you hang in there too, girl. I am sure those 12 hour work days are getting to you at least a little bit. Work sounds like a mess....hope your unaccounted for co-workers are all fine.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:03 pm

Yes, we still have water although I got worried when I came home last night and they had large pots of water on the stove. They just wanted it for bathing. I've been taking warm sponge baths in the morning.
    wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female

Post by wants2laugh Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:35 am

a warm sponge bath can be interesting with the right person Wink lol

I'm really glad u are well!

Red-- what makes it worse is that we have already started the christmas season... so we have three times the work we normally do sad

i was already told that in order to take off the saturday for my reunion, I will only have 3 days off the next 4 weeks... including thanksgiving-- had to bargain and work thanksgiving sad
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female

Post by RedBedroom Sat Nov 03, 2012 1:37 am

Oh, dear. I didn't think holiday madness would hit you guys for a few weeks. Well, hang in there, doll.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:07 pm

wants2laugh wrote:a warm sponge bath can be interesting with the right person Wink lol

I'm really glad u are well!

Red-- what makes it worse is that we have already started the christmas season... so we have three times the work we normally do sad

i was already told that in order to take off the saturday for my reunion, I will only have 3 days off the next 4 weeks... including thanksgiving-- had to bargain and work thanksgiving sad

Not when the room temp is in the 50's or lower!
    Suzi
    Suzi
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 85

Post by Suzi Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:17 pm

wants2laugh wrote:u have a nicw wife wonder how many r plotting to kill hubby blame the storm n collect insurance lol
    evil grin
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:52 pm

Suzi wrote:
    evil grin

Shrugs (Oh well…) Some men might be grateful for the release.

Nancy Astor: “Sir, if you were my husband, I would give you poison.”
    Winston Churchill: “If I were your husband I would take it.”

Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:35 pm

Uncle did you get your power back yet?
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:45 pm

Nope. More lights on the complex last night but not us. I did stop for gas on the way home and I pulled right up to the pump. Price hadn't gone up either. I was able to bring a small portable generator and full gas can home that one of my bosses lent me. He was right. It makes a world of difference to at least be able to plug in a table lamp for light. Also a small heater to take some of the chill off besides the oven. We don't use the oven for a heat source much past when we're done cooking and the generator got turned off (ran out of gas actually) before my wife went to bed. I'll fill it up this evening from the can I left in my trunk. The extension cord she bought yesterday is really cool! It's heavy duty and has three outlets spaced along it's lenght that have green lights so you can find them. The generator stays on the (open) back porch and I ran the cord through the dining room window so I could shove a blanket into the gap. We have a CO detector right there too so we won't gas ourselves. That's the scoop. I'm more worried about Chris' eyes at this point.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:22 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:Nope. More lights on the complex last night but not us. I did stop for gas on the way home and I pulled right up to the pump. Price hadn't gone up either. I was able to bring a small portable generator and full gas can home that one of my bosses lent me. He was right. It makes a world of difference to at least be able to plug in a table lamp for light. Also a small heater to take some of the chill off besides the oven. We don't use the oven for a heat source much past when we're done cooking and the generator got turned off (ran out of gas actually) before my wife went to bed. I'll fill it up this evening from the can I left in my trunk. The extension cord she bought yesterday is really cool! It's heavy duty and has three outlets spaced along it's lenght that have green lights so you can find them. The generator stays on the (open) back porch and I ran the cord through the dining room window so I could shove a blanket into the gap. We have a CO detector right there too so we won't gas ourselves. That's the scoop. I'm more worried about Chris' eyes at this point.

So sorry to hear you still have no lights uncle, maybe you will get lucky and they will come on today sometime. Good that you got the generator and glad you did not have to wait for gas. My brother has a generator with his fridge hooked up to it. They have been using the gas jets for heat as well. Lets hope this storm tomorrow does not do further damage.
    big hugz
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Tue Nov 06, 2012 2:36 pm

Alan Smithee wrote:... Price hadn't gone up either....

There is a law here in Florida against price gouging during hurricanes. They tell ppl to report any raised prices during storm watches/warnings. IDK what they do to ppl who are caught.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:08 pm

Shale wrote:

There is a law here in Florida against price gouging during hurricanes. They tell ppl to report any raised prices during storm watches/warnings. IDK what they do to ppl who are caught.

We have that here too. I think the law is they can't raise their price more than 10¢ a day? I dunno...something like that. My wife has the number to report them on her cell LOL
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:11 pm

Tony Marino wrote:

So sorry to hear you still have no lights uncle, maybe you will get lucky and they will come on today sometime. Lets hope this storm tomorrow does not do further damage.
    big hugz

I'm almost (not quite)to the point where I almost would rather the storm passes before we get power back so we really aren't holding our breath that the lights stay on.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male

Post by Alan Smithee Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:09 pm

The power came back at about 7:45 PM. The first thing I did was turn the heat up! I'm still hanging on to the borrowed generator for another day or so. Juuust in case.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri May 17, 2024 6:44 am