CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+7
RedBedroom
Forgiveness Man
Nystyle709
TexasLady
CatEyes10736
stonestatic
Supernova
11 posters

When you were a kid, would your parents have...

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

When you were a kid, would your parents have... Empty When you were a kid, would your parents have...

Post by Supernova Sun Aug 08, 2010 1:53 am

This one came from a discussion we're having on the TV forum for the Cosby Show. If when you were a kid you said to your parents 'there's a new CD out I want and it costs $15 and I didn't save any of my allowance, so will you give me that much money for dusting your office?', what are the chances in hell that you would've actually gotten it?
    stonestatic
    stonestatic
    …is an Up 'N Comer.
    …is an Up 'N Comer.

Male
    Rep : 24

When you were a kid, would your parents have... Empty Re: When you were a kid, would your parents have...

Post by stonestatic Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:05 am

Chances would have been good. If I asked REALLY nicely, they may have gotten the CD for me if they were in a good mood. If I did some extra chores, then it would have been practically a slam dunk.
    CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

When you were a kid, would your parents have... Empty Re: When you were a kid, would your parents have...

Post by CatEyes10736 Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:35 am

Supernova wrote:This one came from a discussion we're having on the TV forum for the Cosby Show. If when you were a kid you said to your parents 'there's a new CD out I want and it costs $15 and I didn't save any of my allowance, so will you give me that much money for dusting your office?', what are the chances in hell that you would've actually gotten it?

Slim. That would have been the wrong way to approach my parents. If I wanted something like a cd out of them and didn't have the money, the thing to do would have been to just ask if they would buy it for me (which they more than likely wouldn't have done unless we were already out...and even then maybe not) or do extra work around the house and not ask for anything in return. When I did extra chores, my parents would react by either being impressed and giving me money on the spot...or...they would cynically ask me what it was I wanted and oblige me.

But saying "I really want this cd but I blew my allowance, so will you give me some $$$ if I clean up" would have been too deliberate and likely met with a no.
    TexasLady
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Female
    Rep : 0

Post by TexasLady Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:07 pm

Well having worked from the age of 13 I always had money in my pocket. Not much mind you but I always had my own money and never even got an allowance but had I gotten an allowance and wanted something after I had spent my allowance they would have said No. I would have had to wait until I got my next allowance. My parents were rough on us kids but they were great parents and had they not been rough on me I might have turned out to be a lousy person. Kids are given too much today and need to know the value of money. I raised my kids the same way. If you spend your allowance then it is gone until the next one you get. I made them do chores around the house before they got an allowance.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:49 pm

Supernova wrote:This one came from a discussion we're having on the TV forum for the Cosby Show. If when you were a kid you said to your parents 'there's a new CD out I want and it costs $15 and I didn't save any of my allowance, so will you give me that much money for dusting your office?', what are the chances in hell that you would've actually gotten it?
    LOL, what a crack up. No sane kid would approach their parents like that if they wanted them to buy them something. The Cosby Show was tv. But to answer your question....if I would've asked my mom or my dad to buy me a CD.....they would've asked what I did with my allowance. If I told them I spent it, they would've told me I better learn to prioritize and not make a habit of it and they would've bought me the CD. When you were a kid, would your parents have... Icon_smile
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:00 pm

I guess it all depends on if my Dad liked the CD or not. I might be able to have him buy it. Wink I have gotten my parents into quite a bit of my music afterall.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:20 pm

My parents would have never bought me a CD or a tape (damn, I'm old). I had the very bare essentials until I was old enough to start getting babysitting jobs.
    To be fair, I should say that I am different with my son. There are times that he asks for something and if it is not ridiculous, I will usually let him have it. But, he is now old enough to start making his own money by working on occasion with his dad and he recently got his first lawn mowing job. So, I am loving that !
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:22 pm

Nystyle709 wrote:

LOL, what a crack up. No sane kid would approach their parents like that if they wanted them to buy them something. The Cosby Show was tv. But to answer your question....if I would've asked my mom or my dad to buy me a CD.....they would've asked what I did with my allowance. If I told them I spent it, they would've told me I better learn to prioritize and not make a habit of it and they would've bought me the CD. When you were a kid, would your parents have... Icon_smile

Yep. It would have been a 50/50 shot. They would have shrugged it off with a "heh" at me telling them I blew the money they gave me and said to next time be more mindful....from there, maybe they would have bought it for me....maybe not. Depended on their mood. But if they did, it would have taken some bartering and they probably would have used the situation to get me to do a lot more than just clean up that one room.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:59 pm

It would have been like drawing blood from a rock.
    Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Post by Jason B. Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:19 am

CatEyes10736 wrote:Slim. That would have been the wrong way to approach my parents. If I wanted something like a cd out of them and didn't have the money, the thing to do would have been to just ask if they would buy it for me (which they more than likely wouldn't have done unless we were already out...and even then maybe not) or do extra work around the house and not ask for anything in return. When I did extra chores, my parents would react by either being impressed and giving me money on the spot...or...they would cynically ask me what it was I wanted and oblige me.

But saying "I really want this cd but I blew my allowance, so will you give me some $$$ if I clean up" would have been too deliberate and likely met with a no.

That sounds like my folks. Had I shown extra initiative and not played it like I wanted something in return, then I would have been more likely to be rewarded with something I wanted. But trying to manipulate, con or bargain would have rubbed my mom and dad the wrong way too. Their answer would have been "no I'm not gonna buy you that tape/CD and you're STILL gonna clean up".
    Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Post by Chris Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:30 am

Wouldn't have worked on my parents. They would have looked at me like I was crazy for even suggesting such a thing. I would have had better luck just asking for the CD and telling them that I was willing to forfeit my next allowance in exchange.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Tue Dec 07, 2010 2:51 am

Chris wrote:Wouldn't have worked on my parents. They would have looked at me like I was crazy for even suggesting such a thing. I would have had better luck just asking for the CD and telling them that I was willing to forfeit my next allowance in exchange.

Indeeeeeeeeed. My mother's always been a firm believer in teaching kids how hard you have to work for something and how quickly money can go so you have to know how to save it and use it with some sense.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 12:04 am