CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+5
Shale
Forgiveness Man
Alan Smithee
Hyacinth Girl
Supernova
9 posters

Should the Conn. elementary school reopen?

Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Should the Conn. elementary school reopen? Empty Should the Conn. elementary school reopen?

Post by Supernova Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:43 pm

That seems to be a question on people's minds, and first of all I can appreciate we have limited schools in each area, etc., but really HOW healthy is it going to be towards the mental health of those already traumatized children, to go BACK to school where their friends got killed? My mother said, and I think she's right, they need to burn it down, and have the kids help with the bonfire to 'burn down the evil place' and build another school somewhere NOT on that ground in place of it.
    Hyacinth Girl
    Hyacinth Girl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 70

Should the Conn. elementary school reopen? Empty Re: Should the Conn. elementary school reopen?

Post by Hyacinth Girl Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:21 pm

My own personal thought is that the school should be torn down and made into a memorial site and burial/resting place for all the victims together, then rebuild a new school building, elsewhere in the town. It just doesn't seem right to reopen and go back to it after such an unspeakable thing.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Should the Conn. elementary school reopen? Empty Re: Should the Conn. elementary school reopen?

Post by Alan Smithee Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:41 pm

I think it's too soon to make that decision (to just tear the building down or have a cathartic bon fire.) Certainly don't return the same grades their for the time being.
    Forgiveness Man
    Forgiveness Man
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 153

Post by Forgiveness Man Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:58 pm

On one hand, a part of me says not to reopen it. But I also understand that maybe it'd be helpful to reopen it to return to as normal a life as possible for the victims. Tough call to make and I'd never wanna have to make it.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:06 pm

So far, when they resume school it will be in another place and they are still considering when and if to reopen the current bldg.

That bldg and perhaps that location will always be tainted.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:09 pm

For the time being....no.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:53 pm

Definitely not anytime soon.
    FireIce918
    FireIce918
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Female
    Rep : 8

Post by FireIce918 Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:00 pm

I think it should be made into a memorial. Even though we want the children to get back to a "normal" life, it seems almost cruel to make them go back there. I'm sure there would be willing donors if there's a lack of funding to build a new school.

There was also a discussion today on The Doctors as to whether the kids should attend the other children's funerals. I was like, c'mon son, that's TWENTY FUNERALS. Children ain't made for that. I think they should all have the option of attending one mass memorial service where fond memories of each victim are shared on some type of memorial wall...which would eventually become part of the permanent memorial.

But then again, I'm sure that community will chose what is best for them. Bless them all.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:17 pm

FireIce918 wrote:I think it should be made into a memorial. Even though we want the children to get back to a "normal" life, it seems almost cruel to make them go back there. I'm sure there would be willing donors if there's a lack of funding to build a new school.

There was also a discussion today on The Doctors as to whether the kids should attend the other children's funerals. I was like, c'mon son, that's TWENTY FUNERALS. Children ain't made for that. I think they should all have the option of attending one mass memorial service where fond memories of each victim are shared on some type of memorial wall...which would eventually become part of the permanent memorial.

But then again, I'm sure that community will chose what is best for them. Bless them all.
    co-signs
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:24 am

No. These kids should be transferred to other schools, IMO. What happened there was too drastic for any of them to be able to return and move on. Sometimes in order to move on, particularly at that age, from something so horrific is to do it literally…from somewhere else.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 10:22 am