CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+6
CatEyes10736
RedBedroom
Supernova
Tony Marino
Shale
Chris
10 posters

Should middle and high school Sex Ed classes reference same sex intimacy and sexual practices?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Food Should middle and high school Sex Ed classes reference same sex intimacy and sexual practices?

Post by Chris Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:51 am

Do you think that Sex Ed classes should include intimacy and sexual practices between members of the same sex in their lesson plans, the same way that they do the opposite sex? If you had a child in school and knew that this was going to happen, would you be less likely to approve of their participating in Sex Ed because of it?
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Food Re: Should middle and high school Sex Ed classes reference same sex intimacy and sexual practices?

Post by Shale Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:42 am

These are pretty much moot arguments about hiding information from kids in the age of the Internet. Of course there will always be prudes advocating for the innocence of adolescents (wondering as they always have how a good girl got knocked up).

I was involved in sex-ed back in the '80s & '90s mostly developing curricula for our intellectually disabled adults who were sexually active. I also saw what was being taught at the New World School of the Arts where I modeled for their life-drawing classes (Special exemption to the Florida law so I could legally pose nude in front of students who were under 18). It covered the mechanics of sexual parts completely as well as sexual social issues. So I am familiar with a large cosmopolitan school system in Miami-Dade County. I know that the backwater counties have more restriction (When in Gainesville I learned of all the restrictions of our safer-sex info that could be given to school age kids in outlying counties).

However, information was available before the internet in Miami. And it still is. While looking thru some of my sex-ed files I found a page where I wrote the fone # for the Switchboard of Miami. Just called it and it is still active (305 377 TEEN). It has all sex ed subjects covered (including 313 Masturbation & 314 Homosexuality) and is available to any kid with a fone.

So, it is futile to try to hide information on sexuality from teens. Best to just give them the most updated and complete information for their own protection and peace of mind.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Food Re: Should middle and high school Sex Ed classes reference same sex intimacy and sexual practices?

Post by Tony Marino Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:00 pm

I have to think about this one but my instincts say yes.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:22 pm

I think they should cover all bases, explain there is heterosexual meaning man and woman, homosexual meaning men and men and women and women, bisexual which means men and women together, and then there are also asexuals and anti-sexuals, make sure they know about EVERYBODY instead of just the two primary parties like in politics.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Fri Dec 21, 2012 3:26 pm

Supernova wrote:I think they should cover all bases, explain there is heterosexual meaning man and woman, homosexual meaning men and men and women and women, bisexual which means men and women together, and then there are also asexuals and anti-sexuals, make sure they know about EVERYBODY instead of just the two primary parties like in politics.

Agree
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:47 pm

I think they should.
    CatEyes10736
    CatEyes10736
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 126

Post by CatEyes10736 Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:10 pm

Yes, absolutely. I think if middle school kids were informed about the reality of gays and gay couples as a part of every day life in this kind of setting, maybe it would add a little more understanding so that by the time they enter high school they either won't be so closeted or they won't play the role of the bully.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:28 pm

Yes, solely for the simple fact that kids need to be informed how STD's can still be passed from person to person, even if that person is the same gender as you. I've actually known people (a lesbian) who decided to "be gay" in hopes of avoiding STD's.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Sat Dec 22, 2012 2:01 pm

Yes
    Nhaiyel
    Nhaiyel
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 123

Post by Nhaiyel Sat Dec 22, 2012 9:41 pm

Chris wrote:Do you think that Sex Ed classes should include intimacy and sexual practices between members of the same sex in their lesson plans, the same way that they do the opposite sex?

Since sexual practices of straight and gay couples…by and large…aren't mutually exclusive, I think anything beyond the acknowledgement of homosexuality (and that it exists) isn't that unnecessary. Just talk about what oral, vaginal and anal sex is, and run down the STD prevention methods for all, and that's good enough.

If you had a child in school and knew that this was going to happen, would you be less likely to approve of their participating in Sex Ed because of it?

I don't think so.
    tmontyb
    tmontyb
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Male
    Rep : 37

Post by tmontyb Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:41 pm

I think they should include it and I wouldn't object to my kid learning about it in school.

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 1:41 am