CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

5 posters

Another point against male circumcision?

Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Another point against male circumcision? Empty Another point against male circumcision?

Post by Alan Smithee Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:32 pm

I don't know why he was getting one at the age of 66 either.

A Kentucky man lost his bid (he lost more than that! speechless ) Friday to force a doctor to pay damages for removing a cancer-riddled section of his penis during what was scheduled to be a simple circumcision.

The Kentucky Court of Appeals found that a jury correctly concluded that 66-year-old Phillip Seaton of Waddy consented to allow Dr. John Patterson to perform any procedure deemed necessary during the Oct. 19, 2007, surgery.

Patterson, a Kentucky-based urologist, maintains he found cancer in the man's penis during surgery and that it had to be removed. The patient claims the surgery was supposed to be a circumcision and he never authorized the amputation, nor was he given a chance to seek a second opinion.

"Additionally, there is uncontroverted testimony in the record that if Mr. Seaton were not treated for the penile cancer, it would prove fatal in the future," Judge Janet Stumbo wrote for the court.

Judge Michael Caperton dissented, but did not issue a written opinion.

Clay Robinson, a Lexington-based attorney for Patterson, said the opinion was "very well-reasoned" and fact-based.

"You always appreciate when you see judges at any level go into that amount of detail," Robinson said.

Seaton and his wife, Deborah, sued Patterson, a Kentucky-based urologist, in Shelby County Circuit Court in 2008. Seaton was having the procedure to better treat inflammation. The Seatons also sued Jewish Hospital, where the surgery took place. The hospital settled with the couple for an undisclosed amount.

Both sides agree that Seaton had squamous cell carcinoma, a type of skin cancer, in his penis. Patterson concluded that a tumor had overtaken much of the top of the organ, which made it impossible to insert a catheter.

"He also opined that serious complications and additional surgery could result if he did not insert the catheter," Stumbo wrote.

The main point of contention is whether Patterson acted reasonably in removing the organ immediately or if amputation could have been delayed to let Seaton seek other medical options.

Stumbo and Judge Donna Dixon concluded that, even though Seaton had limited ability to read and write, he never informed the doctor of that fact and signed the consent form in the presence of a witness. The Seatons claimed that the waiver didn't give Patterson authority to conduct an amputation without further consent.

"They maintain that no harm would have resulted if Dr. Patterson has consulted with either of them before proceeding, or if he had allowed them to consult with another physician to get a second opinion or other treatment options," Stumbo wrote.

Stumbo wrote that Patterson acted properly because the tumor had consumed such a large section of the organ.

"For this reason alone, the resection of the tumor was 'necessary and proper' in the context of inserting a catheter," Stumbo wrote.

Kevin George of Louisville, the attorney for Seaton, did not immediately return messages seeking comment.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/50271450/ns/today-today_health/t/court-backs-doctor-penis-amputation-case/?lite=&lite=obnetwork
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Another point against male circumcision? Empty Re: Another point against male circumcision?

Post by Tony Marino Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:56 am

I think I read about this awhile ago. I think he should have been consulted before the doctor amputated, he had the right to a second opinion.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Another point against male circumcision? Empty Re: Another point against male circumcision?

Post by CeCe Fri Dec 28, 2012 10:57 am

One of the reasons I'm not crazy about the "I can take care of any other issues at my discretion" clause in the surgery contract.

Poor guy sad
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:16 am

No penis. That's rough.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:30 am

Both sides agreed the cancer diagnosis was legit, so I guess, he should just be happy the cancer was taken care of. Though, I wonder why his wife or another power of attorney wasn't there for the surgeon to talk to prior to what they are calling, "amputation." Anyone, especially at age 66, should have someone present during surgery for unexpected situations.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:42 am

RedBedroom wrote:Both sides agreed the cancer diagnosis was legit, so I guess, he should just be happy the cancer was taken care of. Though, I wonder why his wife or another power of attorney wasn't there for the surgeon to talk to prior to what they are calling, "amputation." Anyone, especially at age 66, should have someone present during surgery for unexpected situations.

It's because of this Red, "...consented to allow Dr. John Patterson to perform any procedure deemed necessary during the Oct. 19, 2007, surgery." It's a clause in some of the papers you sign prior to surgery. He should have refused that, but like a lot of people he probably just assumed nothing would be an issue. I think from a legal standpoint it's whether or not the amputation was actually necessary. But if he had refused to agree to that he would at least been able to seek a second opinion.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:49 pm

The large print giveth and the small print taketh away.
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:47 pm

Shrugs (Oh well…)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 11:50 pm