CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+10
Supernova
Nystyle709
Jason B.
Hyacinth Girl
Shale
RedBedroom
Alan Smithee
CeCe
Tony Marino
Chris
14 posters

Do you judge people who have committed suicide?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Question Do you judge people who have committed suicide?

Post by Chris Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:57 pm

Do you judge people who take their own life more than you do someone who lost their life through forces beyond their control?
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Question Re: Do you judge people who have committed suicide?

Post by Tony Marino Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:17 pm

I just wonder what was so painful in their lives that made them end it.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Post by CeCe Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:19 pm

Absolutely NOT. I'm sad when it happens & that they felt it was their best alternative.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:32 pm

Chris wrote:Do you judge people who take their own life more than you do someone who lost their life through forces beyond their control?

In all honesty, it depends on why they did it and if mental illness was involved.
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee

Male
    Rep : 381

Post by Alan Smithee Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:36 pm

Maybe "judge" is too strong. It might affect my level of sympathy. From a lot to none.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Fri Jan 04, 2013 4:38 pm

I tend to have a double standard when it comes to this. If a person is childless, I have the appropriate amount of empathy. However if they commit suicide and they have children, I often judge them as being selfish. I happen to think once children are involved, people need to truly consider what a suicide would do for the future of their offspring.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Fri Jan 04, 2013 7:07 pm

CeCe wrote:Absolutely NOT. I'm sad when it happens & that they felt it was their best alternative.
    co-signs

I think assisted suicide should be available upon request and legal. (Jack Kevorkian will someday be known as the good guy who was ahead of his time).

I see all sorts of conditions that I might end my life - but I am of that age where I can say I HAD a good life. My belief is of quality of life, not just wracking up a quantity of years in a miserable existence.
    Hyacinth Girl
    Hyacinth Girl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 70

Post by Hyacinth Girl Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:29 pm

I don't judge because I've been in that mindframe on more than one occasion in my life. I actually got to the point of setting up a garden hose into the tailpipe of my car, when I was 19, but realized I'd forgotten to fill up the gas tank first. LOL DUH--I can laugh about it now, but I settled for years of writing dark poetry and being a cutter, instead.
    Jason B.
    Jason B.
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 70

Post by Jason B. Fri Jan 04, 2013 10:59 pm

If I do, then my judgement would be that sadly their life was clearly troubled and unfortunately they didn't have a support system that could or would help. Compared to people who die by circumstances that are more fated and ineludible, they probably are more "tragic."
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:46 pm

Nah......but depending on why, my sympathy for them might be altered.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:42 am

I wouldn't necessarily say judged, but we live knowing the relatives who are forever left wondering WHY, because the people in question didn't bother to tell anybody what was going on or why they decided to off themselves. Now I get suicide is all about yourself in the first place, you're having a problem, you feel that your life is never going to get any better, so you decide to end it all, but rarely are these people actually alone, or without anybody to miss them.

Despite everybody telling us we need only live for ourselves, we DO have other people to think about, especially when we have families, and we have to consider what it would do to them if we suddenly killed ourselves. I don't buy that all those who are left mourning for the rest of their lives because they don't understand why it happened, are just doing it to get sympathy for themselves.
    FireIce918
    FireIce918
    …is Authorized.
    …is Authorized.

Female
    Rep : 8

Post by FireIce918 Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:06 am

That's not my job.

wants2laugh
    wants2laugh
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 87

Post by wants2laugh Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:55 am

well considering that my father shot himself when i was 3 (he was 30), my sis killed herself at 47 (not sure if it was accidental or not) and that I once took a bottle of pills after very clearly cleaning out my home, organizing all of my insurances, bills, and car titles for my family----as well as writing a letter to each family member... i cannot judge. None of us ever know what someone has to deal with. And NO... not everyone is being selfish.... i have heard of ppl doing it for the life insurance for their families after losing jobs (yes... some policies DO pay out for suicide. Prudential paid for my dad... and my work pays for suicide). I find it selfish of the living to expect the person to live in anguish. Whether it be depression or terminal illness... who the hell is someone else to dictate to someone they must live a horrible life? That is like saying that i cant sell my car cause my sister likes riding in it! wtf??

boy was i pissed when i didnt die too. was a horrible freaking experience. couldnt move for two days from the pills, shit and pissed myself while throwing up and not being able to hold my head up.didnt want to call 911 even tho i could cause i knew they would just give me the charcoal or pump my stomach... and what was the point? i truly thought i was dying. And guess what... I was completely conscious with blurry vision and no motor skills whatsoever. I told my sis the next day, who told my bro. and his reaction was "she didnt really try, cause she would have researched the internet to get the drug combination right". THAT is who i was supposed to stay alive for and feel bad about leaving behind??? really? smh
    TheEnglishButterfly
    TheEnglishButterfly
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Female
    Rep : 0

Post by TheEnglishButterfly Sat Jan 05, 2013 3:34 am

I do not judge. I feel bad for them.

I used to say I'd never attend the funeral of someone who killed themselves. Then my friend killed himself in an absolutely horribly public and stomach-turning way. I saw him that night and god damn I wish I could see the pain in him.

I went to his funeral and learned about a side of him no one knew about... and I do not blame him for it. His wife? Fuck that fucking whore, she deserves to be the one 10 feet under. I dont know if that makes me a bitch, but what she did to him is unforgivable. But anyways, I do not blame my friend. And I am glad I went to his funeral.

I miss him.... but I'm glad hes free from pain.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:02 am

wants2laugh wrote:...was a horrible freaking experience. couldnt move for two days from the pills, shit and pissed myself while throwing up and not being able to hold my head up.didnt want to call 911 even tho i could cause i knew they would just give me the charcoal or pump my stomach... and what was the point? i truly thought i was dying. And guess what... I was completely conscious with blurry vision and no motor skills whatsoever. ...

My wife tried the pills once. I sorta thot it was strange when I got up in the morning that she was lying in the exact same position as when we went to bed. So, I'm having coffee when I heard this thunk. She had fallen in the hallway and was unconscious. I'm the one making the frantic 911 call and they got there pretty quick and took her to the hospital. They did the charcoal/stomach lavage and my fear was liver damage. But she got thru that to try another day while I was at work. Intuitively, her daughter stopped by the house and got her out of the bathtub with a plastic bag over her head.

That is when I learned that health insurance if for shit. They get some ARNP to sign-off on her (she was an RN - she knew what to say to prove she was not crazy) within a week and she gets discharged with no actual psych treatment.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:28 pm

FireIce918 wrote:That's not my job.

Pretty much

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 10:13 am