CC33

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC33

+10
TSJFan4Ever
Shale
MandyPerfumeGirl
RedBedroom
Tony Marino
Friendly Veteran
Supernova
CeCe
Alan Smithee
Chris
14 posters

Have you known anyone who committed suicide?

Chris
    Chris
    Chamber Admin.
    Chamber Admin.

Male
    Rep : 330

Have you known anyone who committed suicide? Empty Have you known anyone who committed suicide?

Post by Chris Tue May 31, 2011 7:10 am

Grim subject, I know, but I was curious if you have ever known anyone who has taken their own life? If the answer is yes, do you respect their decision, or were/are you put off by their final choice?
    Alan Smithee
    Alan Smithee
    ...is a 20G Chamber DIETY.

Male
    Rep : 381

Have you known anyone who committed suicide? Empty Re: Have you known anyone who committed suicide?

Post by Alan Smithee Tue May 31, 2011 7:37 am

I haven't known anyone well enough that my reaction was stronger than," Oh, what a shame." When I lived at home, a neighbor did himself in sitting in a running car in a closed garage. When I was in college, I found out a girl I knew by name had killed herself but I don't think I ever found out how or why.
    CeCe
    CeCe
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Rep : 326

Have you known anyone who committed suicide? Empty Re: Have you known anyone who committed suicide?

Post by CeCe Tue May 31, 2011 8:13 am

Yes, a few actually. None of them were due to any medical or health reason so they weren't a "right to die" issue. But I'm never put off by it. I'm just sorry they felt it had reached that point. I understand that level of despair. I wish there could be a better understanding of depression.
    Supernova
    Supernova
    The Book Chamber
    The Book Chamber

Female
    Rep : 182

Post by Supernova Tue May 31, 2011 11:30 am

Sort of, about 11 years back when we had a yard sale we got acquainted with these four brothers and sisters, we were never close but we knew each other and we played together whenever they came through town...well, a couple months back the newspaper had a report, that one of the boys, I think he was the younger one, 20 years old, had died after falling off a train. It was never determined whether he killed himself or was just drunk and it was an accident, but their lives turned out to be pretty screwed up as kids and I wonder how much of that stuck with him. A year younger than me, and he's dead, and I knew this kid, that freaked me out.
    Friendly Veteran
    Friendly Veteran
    …is a Newbie.
    …is a Newbie.

Male
    Rep : 10

Post by Friendly Veteran Tue May 31, 2011 11:49 am

A couple of guys. I respect their opinion. They had what they thought they had to do.

You have a great day.
    Friendly Veteran
    Tony Marino
    Tony Marino
    …is a Global Moderator.
    …is a Global Moderator.

Male
    Rep : 607

Post by Tony Marino Tue May 31, 2011 11:50 am

Yes, someone that was very depressed and basically had given up on life. I was not close to this person but I was shocked to hear it about it.
    RedBedroom
    RedBedroom
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Female
    Rep : 312

Post by RedBedroom Tue May 31, 2011 1:56 pm

In high school there were a couple that I "knew" but not well enough to the point that their death shook me.

But, my guy's friend Tom killed himself years ago. I did not know Tom well, but the times we did spend together was really fun. He was easy to talk to and very kind. His wife was having an affair and when he found out he had a hard time dealing. So, shortly after he found out, he killed himself. Though my guy suspects that his teenage son probably sided with the mom or something having to do with his son is what brought him to the edge. He loved his son so much that he thought he would never kill himself unless the son disowned him or spoke out against him.
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    MandyPerfumeGirl
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Female
    Rep : 26

Post by MandyPerfumeGirl Tue May 31, 2011 2:06 pm

CeCe wrote:I wish there could be a better understanding of depression.

I absolutely agree, CeCe. There's so much fear and ignorance on the topic.

I have about 50,000 aunts and uncles, so I didn't know my Aunt Julie too well, but when I was 8 years old she committed suicide. She was put in prison and hung herself there. She - along with a lot of members of my Dad's side of the family - was a tormented soul, always dealing with mental illness and horrors she had experienced as a child. I completely support her decision to do it. Sometimes it's easier to run than to stay. It was her life and she did what she had to do.
    Shale
    Shale
    ...is a Chamber Royal.
    ...is a Chamber Royal.

Male
    Rep : 219

Post by Shale Tue May 31, 2011 3:12 pm

I only met the boy once or twice. He was the older brother of my stepdaughter's friend in HS. She, her father and brother were the family.

He was involved with drugs and blew his brains out one nite in the family bathroom. He left a note but the police took it. Eventually his sister got a copy of it. It had blood spatter all over it.

The girl stayed with us for a while - and she had a ruf time of it. Used to write him letters as if he were still around.
    TSJFan4Ever
    TSJFan4Ever
    …is a Chamber Royal.
    …is a Chamber Royal.

Female
    Rep : 78

Post by TSJFan4Ever Tue May 31, 2011 5:38 pm

No but when I was in high school, I had a friend whose older brother attempted it. It was pretty horrific because he doused himself with gasoline and lit himself on fire. He was pretty badly burned.
    Nystyle709
    Nystyle709

Female
    Rep : 339

Post by Nystyle709 Tue May 31, 2011 7:06 pm

Nah.
    Marc™
    Marc™
    …is a Chamber DEITY.
    …is a Chamber DEITY.

Male
    Rep : 212

Post by Marc™ Tue May 31, 2011 10:20 pm

I know someone who once attempted it, but was thwarted....his family had him committed.
    captainbryce
    captainbryce
    …is a Power Member.
    …is a Power Member.

Male
    Rep : 127

Post by captainbryce Tue May 31, 2011 10:35 pm

Chris wrote:Grim subject, I know, but I was curious if you have ever known anyone who has taken their own life?
    Yes. Two people in fact. My stepfather committed suicide when I was 17 years old. He also sexually molested me when I was 12. As you can imagine, I had mixed feelings concerning his death. The second person I knew was a co-worker/acquaintance of mine who I didn't really associate with on a personal level. Apparently he had, marital, financial and disciplinary problems regarding his conduct on duty. Sad to say, but suicide in the military is fairly commonplace.

Chris wrote:If the answer is yes, do you respect their decision, or were/are you put off by their final choice?
    After careful consideration, I've decided that I respect their decision on two counts. One, I can sit here all day long and say how horrible a decision suicide is, how "selfish", how it represents "giving up" and how "weak" someone is to consider suicide as an option. But the fact is, unless I've ever lived my life in that person's shoes and know exactly what they were thinking and the things that they went through to make that decision, I'm no more qualified to judge them than anyone else on here is.
    Cheaps
    Cheaps

Female
    Rep : 252

Post by Cheaps Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:21 am

i never knew anyone personally, but my roommates childhood friend did years back when they were in high school.. its a sad thing

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 3:46 am